Lipnitskaya vs Kim: What will happen in the individual competition? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya vs Kim: What will happen in the individual competition?

jcsamex

Rinkside
My answer is that both Yuna and Julia (if clean) will have the Gold and Silver medals respectively. I think by this point it will be hard for every one else (Asada included with her current mindset) to catch them. I think, however, the bronze hunt will be one for the ages. There are at least five girls who could end up winning that third step on the podium and I'm rooting for Kostner to get it. Then of course we have Asada, Murakami, Gold, Suzuki and let's not forget about Sotnikova who I think by now should've realized she's no longer the Russian Federation's sweetheart and, if she manages to be the (yes somewhat nervous, still) tough competitor I saw at europeans, she could steal the bronze if the other make mistakes.

For the first time since I started watching Olympic Games back in 2002, I think we'll have such a deep field in the last two groups of the competition. I hope so, anyway.

Krislite

Medalist
lol

worst post of all time!

Not the worst at all. No one truly knows. It's all a matter of probability until the competition is over. Yuna has made mistakes in the past. What's really interesting, though, is that her error rate is lowest in the biggest competitions. She had never gone "clean" back-to-back, EXCEPT at Worlds and the Olympics. Not at the Grand Prix. Not at Korean Nationals. Not at 4CC. Weird, huh? It's like she gets better the tougher the competition.

In Vancouver 2010 she was the overwhelming favorite, and so she had every reason to crumble as many favorites have before her, especially given her mixed results at the 2009 Grand Prix. In 2013 Worlds she was the old champion returning after a long break to her last World Championships, untested since 2011 Worlds when she lost to Miki Ando. She had every reason to do poorly as many returning champions have before her.

Now, several other skaters have greater momentum, coming from a strong Grand Prix or European Championships, and she has missed establishing dominance during the Grand Prix season. She has missed out on most competitions during this quad, though she did win the most important one (pre-Olympics world title). She is competing on more hostile ice (Russia rather than Canada), and has no powerful federation to back her. She had to deal with an injury very recently. Doubts are quite rational...as is cautious optimism.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Not the worst at all. No one truly knows. It's all a matter of probability until the competition is over. Yuna has made mistakes in the past. What's really interesting, though, is that her error rate is lowest in the biggest competitions. She had never gone "clean" back-to-back, EXCEPT at Worlds and the Olympics. Not at the Grand Prix. Not at Korean Nationals. Not at 4CC. Weird, huh? It's like she gets better the tougher the competition.

In Vancouver 2010 she was the overwhelming favorite, and so she had every reason to crumble as many favorites have before her, especially given her mixed results at the 2009 Grand Prix. In 2013 Worlds she was the old champion returning after a long break to her last World Championships, untested since 2011 Worlds when she lost to Miki Ando. She had every reason to do poorly as many returning champions have before her.

Now, several other skaters have greater momentum, coming from a strong Grand Prix or European Championships, and she has missed establishing dominance during the Grand Prix season. She has missed out on most competitions during this quad, though she did win the most important one (pre-Olympics world title). She is competing on more hostile ice (Russia rather than Canada), and has no powerful federation to back her. She had to deal with an injury very recently. Doubts are quite rational...as is cautious optimism.

Do you remember 2011 Worlds? What about 2010 Worlds.... Kim's made plenty of mistakes at big competitions. I think she's a very good competitor.. Amazing she won that Olympic title. But Julia is more consistent.

CarneAsada

Medalist
yuna has balls of steel, she can take this fetus
:rofl: I hope so. I'd be delighted to see Yuna trounce this infant who is merely a favorite because she won the D.O.B lottery and is skating in her home country. The only two skaters I'd be genuinely happy to see winning the gold are Kim and Asada (Suzuki or Kostner are acceptable but not my favorites).

Krislite

Medalist
Do you remember 2011 Worlds? What about 2010 Worlds.... Kim's made plenty of mistakes at big competitions. I think she's a very good competitor.. Amazing she won that Olympic title. But Julia is more consistent.

I wasn't attacking your point, but supporting it. I am quite well aware of what happened at 2010 and 2011 Worlds. I also recall 2007 and 2008 Worlds. Not her best performances at all. But I also remember 2009 Worlds, 2010 Olympics and 2013 Worlds. I see the whole picture. :)

bekalc

Record Breaker
I wasn't attacking your point, but supporting it. I am quite well aware of what happened at 2010 and 2011 Worlds. I also recall 2007 and 2008 Worlds. Not her best performances at all. But I also remember 2009 Worlds, 2010 Olympics and 2013 Worlds. I see the whole picture. :)

Oh, your correct. Kim's a good competitor. I think Julia so far is a better one, but at the end of day if Kim delivers she really should win...The only thing I am wondering is I am not sure how much Yu-na really wants this...And I do think Julia wants it more, and that can be dangerous...

I don't know if Kim has ever faced someone like Julia. (A Tara like competitor...Tara was a great competitor.) Kim was always the better competitor.

The reason I say Julia is a better competitor. Is we haven't seen Julia fall once this season. Ashley is quoted as saying that seeing Julia in the kiss and cry, that Julia is like a 40 year old in 15 year old body. Extremely composed.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Oh, your correct. Kim's a good competitor. I think Julia so far is a better one, but at the end of day if Kim delivers she really should win...The only thing I am wondering is I am not sure how much Yu-na really wants this...And I do think Julia wants it more, and that can be dangerous...

I don't know if Kim has ever faced someone like Julia. (A Tara like competitor...Tara was a great competitor.) Kim was always the better competitor.

The reason I say Julia is a better competitor. Is we haven't seen Julia fall once this season. Ashley is quoted as saying that seeing Julia in the kiss and cry, that Julia is like a 40 year old in 15 year old body. Extremely composed.

I'm also in a position where I don't know if Yuna wants an OGM. She already has one and has stated that her goal at the Olympics is to give everything she has since this is going to be her last competition. She is definitely aiming to have two clean skates back to back, but as we know, that would mean an OGM (although judging by some scores in the team competition, I don't know what kind of scores Yuna would receive by having clean programs.) So I can't really tell what her mental state would be going into Sochi. However, I know Julia is heavily pressured by her home country (even more) since they saw how Julia performed in the team event. If I were to pick who wants gold more, I, too think it's Julia, but Yuna's answers are kind of.....questionable

CarneAsada

Medalist

We saw Julia fall once at Cup of Russia.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Of course maybe its to early to call Julia a better competitor than Yu-na. But so far Julia is just the steely little thing. As for Kim, she's going to have just as many expectations.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I've always thought of Yuna as the one who cannot many any mistakes. She looks so confident that she gives you the feeling she juct can't lose. I didn't see her this season, but it was the same story last year until the WC. At the moment, I can't even think of Julia as a rival for Yuna, the difference is huge. I only hope the judges will be fair.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
What about 2010 Worlds.... Kim's made plenty of mistakes at big competitions.

I believe that she didn't want to participate in the 2010 Worlds at all and was pressured/dragged into it by her Federation. She was so checked out and unhappy at that competition, which contributed alot to her sub-par performance.

tokugawaice

Rinkside
I've always thought of Yuna as the one who cannot many any mistakes. She looks so confident that she gives you the feeling she juct can't lose. I didn't see her this season, but it was the same story last year until the WC. At the moment, I can't even think of Julia as a rival for Yuna, the difference is huge. I only hope the judges will be fair.

Like everyone says it's hard if not impossible to compare scores from one competition to another. The judges knew Yuna wasn't in the mix for teams so maybe they felt like they could be more liberal with the scoring. However with the Yuna in the mix it will be hard to justify inflated PCS and technical scores if the GOEs for Julia's jumps are just as high if not better than Kim's.

Barb

Record Breaker
I think is probably judges put Yulia above Yuna , I mean, it is obvious that gracie's jumps are better and they give lower score, they can give +3 to yuna and +2 to julia and make up with her higher bv, i dont dont know, they are capable of everything, julia spins are by far superior than yuna's, step seq similar in quality, interpretation is so subjective, transitions similar, but yuna's better quality, spiral julia better.

VirMo

On the Ice
I think is probably judges put Yulia above Yuna , I mean, it is obvious that gracie's jumps are better and they give lower score, they can give +3 to yuna and +2 to julia and make up with her higher bv, i dont dont know, they are capable of everything, julia spins are by far superior than yuna's, step seq similar in quality, interpretation is so subjective, transitions similar, but yuna's better quality, spiral julia better.

I beg to differ. Yuna has far superior skating skills than Yulia if anything. Yuna's step sequences are level four in both programs, has very quick and smooth turns and steps, use of deep edges, and a beautiful flow. If Yuna has improved in any way since Vancouver it's this, and it's something that Yulia can't catch up with in 10 days. It's pretty nonsense to say that Yuna's and Yulia's step sequences are similar in quality lol. Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Yulia's step sequence is still good and she has beautiful extensions, but c'mon..

Yulia actually reminds me of Yuna when she was 15. Yuna was pretty consistent with as good jumps back then. People seem to make a mistake in thinking that it is natural to get better at jumps as you train more and as you get older, but it is actually the opposite.

Barb

Record Breaker
Yuna ss are better, true. No one got step seq level four here, carolina and mao have better step seq than yuna and julia and getting always level four but not here, so I dont know if they will give so easy a level four to yuna.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
I think SkyFly is just going for most # of absurd posts on GS - nothing he has to say is of any value!!!!!! Just a post #

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As well as Julia has skated I fear she may have used up her good skates already. She doesn't have the power or flow of Yuna. But she is far better than I thought and I think her programs suit her perfectly for her age and all. She really could win a medal but I do think Mao or suzuki or carolina will win silver. mao is such a wild card right now. Sotnikova might be in better shape to win bronze than Julia but it is hard to say.the key is can Julia be consistent.

bekalc

Record Breaker
As well as Julia has skated I fear she may have used up her good skates already. She doesn't have the power or flow of Yuna. But she is far better than I thought and I think her programs suit her perfectly for her age and all. She really could win a medal but I do think Mao or suzuki or carolina will win silver. mao is such a wild card right now. Sotnikova might be in better shape to win bronze than Julia but it is hard to say.the key is can Julia be consistent.

Julia is consistent. That's the thing.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
I think this situation(doubts-rising) might be good to Yuna's mind.
She said about 1 month ago,"It seems consensus and atmosphere have been manufactured [in the media] that I would win OGM again and I've been constantly thinking that's different from the picture I thought...But this time...even if I don't win a gold medal, I know I'll be satisfied with myself and will have no regrets...I'm only going to think of myself...just think of my objectives...will work hard...I think I will have to focus on realizing the objectives."