Men's Short - Notes & Results | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men's Short - Notes & Results

I wish I would have kept my Stefan Lambiel gush posts from the last two years. This guy was a dancer's skater from the first time I saw him, which was at '02 Euros--take out the jumping and even the spinning and he's still a joy to watch.

I haven't seen the men's SP, but I've always loved Plush and Joubert; Lindeman I'm not familiar enough with to have an opinion, though great for him for being the home-town boy done good; am a big Klimkin fan but I know inconsistency is his Achille's heel, and speaking of achille's, he's had injury problems; and am glad to hear Weiss had a good short--he may have skate-in-mouth disease but it's what his skates do on the ice that counts.

As for Weir, based on Nationals, I think what we're seeing is simply a strong lyrical male skater. It's very common to see such men in dance, but rare in skating, even ice dance, but especially singles.

As for movements being masculine or feminine, I think there is no such thing. There's only the gender assumptions we have about people. Except for breasts and different genitals, we all have the same basic anatomy. The Biellmann position is certainly more difficult for most men than it is for most women, but I don't think it makes it a feminine position anymore than pointed toes are feminine or big jumps are masculine.

I'm not getting on anybody's case. It took a male instructor making the point in a choreography class when I was 18 for me to even think about it. In the movie "Kagemusha: The Shadow Warrior" there's a beautiful ritual dance where the warrior wears gown-like robes and uses a fan, which most would consider feminine. My point is that ideas about what is masculine and feminine have as much to do with the culture as anything.

Whatever anybody feels, I really fell in love with Weir's skating at this year's Nationals and even if he doesn't medal at Worlds this year, I hope he makes his mark on the international scene. He is sumthin'!
Rgirl

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Sarah!!

So glad you loved those links! My DH (definitely DEAR HUSBAND right now) downloaded those 4 men's shorts, put them on DVD, and I just got done watching them on a 10' by 12' screen. Awesome. You are my FS Junkie Can't Get Enough Of It On The Internet Pal!!!!

Weiss definitely put down a great short program, in all 4 confusing languages LOL!!!! (don't know about you but I had to adjust the volume so I could tune out the overlapping languages and still hear a bit of the music) This was one of his more impressive skates of the last couple years IMNSHO!

Lambiel - I am SO with all of you who have tried to go to 7-11 and get ON that spin bandwagon. My DH is fabulous, especially having provided me with that DVD. But I think I'll change my official name to SpinToWinDontMakeThe DoggiesDizzyGirl. WOW!

Joubert put down a great program. He is young and has a tremendous future. Not dissing his artistic, but not preaching it either. He NAILED everything he needed to in order to earn his spot. Look out! Wonder what his Body Fat% is, and wish I could achieve it. :) And OH I'm glad I don't have daughters watching him!!

Plushy. CANNOT believe what he continues to put down while towing the barge of a serious knee injury. While I don't love everything he does (i.e. Bag the Bielmann) he is definately a legend in his own time (and own name, but that's an irrelevant issue to me!!:). I just hope he hasn't F'd up his knee so bad at this point that we will be denied the next many years of watching his performances.

Wow.

I can't believe I'm this excited after seeing only 11 performances on *bad but glad to have* video!!! (7 pairs SP and 4 mens SP)

Anyone else feel like they *just might* be participating in the Divorce Open? I'm not there yet but think I'm getting mighty close. :)

DG

I just wish ABC would show the entire field of Men. It is sooo goood this zear.

No one of them should feel badlzy if thez have a good skate.

Joe

Tove

On the Ice
sarahmistral said:
Who needs to go back to the real world when we're all taping this and can watch it a million times after Sunday:laugh: But seriously, there is real life to get to...later.

Sarah

oh you just said it, how many times have I watched my tape already, I don't know...and real life is dull, anyway!

Stephane...he was AWSOME, that program is one of the best out there in presentation....and really, what he if he skates a free p like in Budapest, he will KICK ASS on that podium YAY I want that!!!

Plushy....like Brian can beat him when he's on, I don't think so...not that I'm really a big fan of either, but Plushy was having so much fun out there, he really wants to win again! not sloppy this time!

Sergei...WOW WOW WOW like I'm not biased here...don't know how many of you saw him, but he was almost over the top of eagerness, with a speed rest of the field can die for...love this man, and this program clean is like christmas every day for me. his 3a was superb!! can't believe they showed backstage clip of Stefan during the last steps, Eurosport should know Sergei's steps are something precious LOL

Johnny - I'm in love with you ballet boy!! Never saw him before, but oh so fab, love his carriage and softness, shouldn't he have gotten even higher marks, hu???

Can't mention everybody, can't wait until tonight!!! how will I cope with the wait.......

diver chick

On the Ice
Johnny Weir is one of the best skaters I have seen in a long time. I first saw him at Lalique a couple of seasons ago and was astounded at the completeness of his movements. He has something most skaters would kill for and that's the ability to skate with his whole body effortlessly, every move went right to his fingertips, toes etc. it was so good to watch that I forgot about watching for the technical side of things!

lambiel - please please please get the consistency on the quads. Not that I am too worried for him at the moment because it took him a couple of seasons to get anything resembling consistency on the 3a and the quad is coming. I just love his skating, definitely one of the best interpretive skaters I have seen out there.

Plushenko - his usual determined and brilliant self. I am not a fan but I was delighted for him after the disappointment of Europeans to be able to put down a performance like that, injury and all.

Joubert - definitely a skater who is coming on in leaps and bounds. Yes there are shades of Yagudin about his choreography but his own personality is definitely fighting to come out and I am sure we will start to see more of it. At europeans I thought he looked more comfortable with the FP than the SP in terms of getting into the program. Again with his SP this year I felt he seemed a little detached from the program, like it was obvious he was skating someone elses program.

Griazev - Love his program. Definitely don't agree with Chris and Simon that he is the new Abt, he is far more Yagudin like than Brian IMO. If anyone can fill Abt shoes and outgrow them it will be Weir.

Sandhu - What is with that guy, okay he is not my fave skater but at this level you have to have more commitment to your program than he did!!! It was a lovely program even with the mistakes but after the first mistake he just seemed to give up on the presentation as well as the technical! Maybe he needs to do something like speak to a sports psychologist because there is definitely something going on in that head of his that his coaches can't help him with.

Tove said:
Johnny - I'm in love with you ballet boy!! Never saw him before, but oh so fab, love his carriage and softness, shouldn't he have gotten even higher marks, hu???

Can't mention everybody, can't wait until tonight!!! how will I cope with the wait.......

Johnny is basically new to int'l competition, so I do not expect much more in the higher marks. Just hoping he beats out one so he will be in top 5. We'll see.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
diver chick said:
Griazev - Love his program. Definitely don't agree with Chris and Simon that he is the new Abt, he is far more Yagudin like than Brian IMO. If anyone can fill Abt shoes and outgrow them it will be Weir.

I agree with you totally about Griazev´s skating resembling that of Yagudin (and very much, IMO)... LOL, there were some skating fans on FSUniverse who even saw it resembling that of Ilia Kulik... They also mentioned Abt, which I don´t agree at all.

These were the SP performances (whether faultless or not) I especially enjoyed:

Tomas Verner, Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari, Yamato Tamura, Johnny Weir, Michael Weiss, Evgeni Plushenko and most of all STEPHANE LAMBIEL!!! WOW, Sandhu´s footwork, what a pity that he had such a huge meltdown. One could see even before he started to skate that things are not okay.

The freeskate will be very exciting...

Marjaana

Last edited:

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Amen to that, DG...

you know, if I were married, I'd have trounced you in the final of the Divorce Open already:laugh: Basically, I have been ignoring everyone and everything around me in favor of an audio telecast and occasional glimpses of figure skating, thanks to you:), while waiting for the meager TV coverage we'll be getting...you know, I'm very happy I've been going spoiled--I look at it this way; it's not that I can't stand the pressure; it's just that, seeing as how much of the world has gotten competition broadcasts three days before us in the US, I just refuse to be deprived!

ITA Tove, real life is dull as dishwater with Lambiel, Plushy, Weir, and Joubert duking it out for gold:)

Re: Plushy's knee, I really hope he does something about that, win or lose; it's pretty scary to wonder what it's taking to pull off those clean programs and what shape that poor meniscus is in:eek:

well, happy spoiling,

your FS Junkie Can't Get Enough Of It On The Internet Pal:)

Sarah

soogar

Record Breaker
I really didn't care for Johnny's skating in comparison to Mike Weiss. Johnny moves really smooth out there but he's so slow compared to Plushenko, Joubert and Lambiel. Plus Johnny's skating is really feminine, I feel like I'm looking at a girl out there. I thought Mike Weiss's short program had a lot of energy and speed: he fits in with the top guys.

Good for the German guy that he landed his elements, but his SP was slow as well.

However the crowd was amazing. Watching those clips, you can feel the energy emanating from the audience. I was getting excited as well and I wasn't even there. I can't imagine how those guys felt.

Evdokia

On the Ice
Re: :)

Tove said:
the new Abt is Alexander Shubin:love: :D
Yes, he's the improved Sasha-version (if that's possible? ;) ) with a reliable quad! :D

And Griazev reminds me very much of young Alexej Yagudin. :)