American Idol 3/23 | Golden Skate

American Idol 3/23

Lotta

On the Ice
I know it's not DONE yet but I just have to say this:

Camille, Jasmine, and John are so rocking my socks now.

That is all. :) 05, 08, and 04 y'all!!!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Okay, just finished and have to say that country music is so not my genre.........anyway, my favs for the night:

1. LaToya....high risk song, nailed it.......she's amazing
2. Diana
3. Fantasia......can't believe it, I've not liked her singing until tonight
4. Jasmine.....not her type of music, but I love her voice anyway (Mathman.........she reminds me a lot of "you know who"...:D )
5. George....
6. Camille....
7. Amy

Least favorites tonight......John and Jon, Jennifer and Matt.......42

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I was bored out of my mind for most of this show. The performances were dull, almost everyone was off pitch regularly, the song choices were hideous--I woke up during La Toya's performance, which, up until that point, at least had the energy others were missing, and I was rockin' during Amy's absolutely fantastic one. I have not liked Amy all that much until now, but country is DEFINITELY where she should set her sights. Why Simon couldn't just come out and say she sounded terrific is beyond me.

As I said, La Toya had energy, but I don't like the song. Fantasia gave a very nice, classy performance. I appreciated it--but she needs to control herself when Simon offers constructive criticism. Otherwise, the fans will turn on her in a heartbeat.

During the recap, it was interesting to see the difference between Diana, who was first in recap, and Amy, who had just performed. It was such a dramatic difference. Finally Simon said to Diana what I've been saying all along (and had just finished saying to Mr. RG). The girl has vocal talent but is a sham--a kid taught how to walk the show biz walk and talk the show biz talk (and she's learned how to make it all sound so homey and natural)--but she has absolutely no connection to the words and therefore to the audience.

George and Jennifer did a good job, and I would rank them after Amy & La Toya. I stand by my initial explanation of last week as to Simon's motivation for trashing Jennifer. There can be no other rational explanation for him being so harsh when clearly others were far worse.

John Stevens picked a good song for his particular style. I just don't care particularly for that style, but he did a good job with it. Can we all say "CRUISE SHIP"?

Speaking of worse... Camille, Jasmine, Matt, & JPL were all awful, just awful. They selected songs that DETRACTED from rather than show off their voices. Re: Jasmine, Randy said the key was wrong, but that's just a part of the problem. Sometimes a song just doesn't sit well in the voice no matter what key the song is in. It's hard to explain why but I will try... Everyone has a "gift" part of his or her voice--that part of the voice that just blows you away. It's not necessarily the high notes. A song has to utilize that gift part of the voice and float around it. That song, "Breathe" requires a very strong low range because the entire verse sits there--and Jasmine does not have that. The meat of her voice is her mid-range (unlike, say Jennifer, whose gift part is the low notes), but this song requires strength on the bottom part of the voice (the verses) and the high (the chorus)--so it will never sit well for someone whose meat/gift part of the voice is in the middle. To have raised the key would have made it impossible for Jasmine to hit the high notes of the chorus at all.

Okay, voice lesson over... getting off voice teacher podium.

I totally expected JPL and Matt to come out and entertain us with this genre, and they COMPLETELY missed the boat by picking ballads and trying to win us over with their pseudo-heartfelt shtick, which only screamed AMATEURS to me. I was CRINGING!

My picks in order of preference:
1. Amy

BIG GAP

2. La Toya
3. Jennifer
4. George
5. Fantasia

BIG GAP

6. Diana
7. John Stevens

BIG GAP

8. Camille
9. Jasmine
10. Matt
11. JPL

I believe it will be Jennifer (thanks to Simon), Camille and Matt in the bottom 3 with Jennifer getting the boot.

:) :D

Last edited:

guinevere

Final Flight
I only saw the first half, because I was rockin' it out over at the America's Next Top Model finale (yay Yoanna!!!). No big loss, as Country Night is a big Yawn to me - I get no pleasure out of seeing most of the idol struggle with a genre they don't get.

RealtorGal, I still agree with you about Diana - when I wasn't looking at the screen I thought, 'great voice', but when I watched, the whole performance felt prepackaged and fake.

I thought Fantasia sang well, but I am really disgusted with her sass talk after the judges comments. Most of the time when contestants give lip to the judges, I'm like'whatever', but this was different - because Simon was complimenting Fantasia!!! If she had just shut up and listened to what he was saying, she may have understood that Simon was saying that, while she had proven that she can convincingly sing out of her typical genre, he hoped she wouldn't lose the part of her personality that made a star performer. There wasn't a single negative thing in what he was saying (for once), but Fantasia was so busy thinking it was her big chance to 'put Simon in his place' (I believe she even said those words), she just kept making it worse. Previously I had been a fan of Fantasia's, but if she gives attitude to the judges again, I will gladly see her go.

I wish I had heard LaToya and Amy sing - LaToya because I think she rocks, and Amy because I've been waiting for her to bust out and PERFORM! Sounds like she did tonight.

I think the bottom 3 will be Camille, Jennifer and Jasmine, and Camille will go tomorrow.

guinevere

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
Diana rocked, well in my opinion, on a country song. She is normally comfortable with fast-paced type songs, e.g. pop, but I still think she will stay for a while at least. I also liked Jasmine's version of "Breathe", which was oh-so-beautiful. I think that the unfortunate one to go will be Camile because she is, typically, not a country singer and "Desperado" isn't really a country song. Nice try for her though. :)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
My top 3:

1. Fantasia -- absolutely terrific. I love her, but wasn't expecting much out of her on Country Night, but I agree with Randy -- she apparently can sing just about anything. As far as her mouthing off to Simon, I kind of liked it, tho I agree she needs to rein that in. (More on that a little later).
2. John Stevens. Great song for him. However, this is at least the second time that he's forgotten the words to something; give that boy a little gingko biloba or something!!
3. LaToya. Vocally, I actually preferred Amy and George (tho George was sounding a little raspy), but I give LaToya a few extra points for taking a big risk and having it pay off, because as soon as I heard her song selection, I was thinking, Oooooh-kay, THIS is going to be interesting..... But it worked well for her, I think.

My bottom 3:
1. JPL -- he's adorable, but that was just PAINFULLY BAD.
2. Dianna. Which surprises me in a way, and doesn't surprise me in another. I think she's great, but this was not her genre and the song selection was terrible.
3. Camille. Even beyond the fact that I hate "Desperado", I flat out don't think this girl can sing. Period.

I have to say I was disappointed in Matt -- I thought this was going to be a good night for him, but instead of tearing the roof off the place like I expected, I found the overall effect lukewarm and whiny.

I just wish Simon would get some consistency, which is why I wasn't overly offended by Fantasia's attitude. He spent most of the night complaining about how everyone was all safe within their usual parameters, but when Fantasia stepped out of hers, he had a problem with it. He's also been inconsistent with George. He spent most of the qualifying rounds complaining about how he needs to update his look because he looks "too old" and now he's worked on his look and now "he's at the mercy of the stylists too much." Last season I agreed with him about 90% of the time (tho I still haven't quite forgiven him for putting Carmen back into it) but this season I think he's just carping for the sake of carping because he likes to hear himself carp. And then there were his complaints about "safe songs". Well, y'know, they have to choose from a list. Maybe put some more [risky? edgy?] songs on the list to begin with. I personally wouldn't mind hearing something like a thrash punk rendition of "One Toke Over The Line" or maybe having Jennifer Hudson go out and do "Sugar Walls", but given the fact that AI is a family show, I just don't think that's gonna happen....

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Jonny.....I agree, I think it's part of Simon's "job" to carp.....................as for voting, I got through to all of the singers I wanted to get through to except Jasmine. Her lines were jammed for the better part of an hour, so I can't see how she'll be booted tonight......42

mike79

On the Ice
1. Fantasia
2. Amy
3. Latoya
4. Diana
5. George
6. Camille
7. John Stevens
8. Jennifer
9. Jasmine

GAP

10/11. Matt/JPL

I just want to see either Matt or JPL go home. So we'll probably see Jennifer go home.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
AS A HUGE COUNTRY FAN

I have to disagree with the Jenny K Hudson love... she made that song sound horrible. It's a great song and it was HORRIBLE! BAD BAD Jenny K... (why Clay says she should win is beyond me)

John Stevens cracks me up... missed some words and just kinda hummed along and it was in tune! Too cute, but kinda worrisome... not good to miss your lyrics...

Latoya sang Josh Gracin's song... I was not impressed just because it's a GUY'S SONG... I'm a Garth Brooks fan... and it's just not a girl's song... yes she sang it well but still

JPL I love his interesting tone... but this was a weak performance, unfortunately... I don't think he was the worst, however

Matt - Amazed is a great song, Josh Gracin sang it great last season, Matt just can't compare to the original recording OR Josh... it was "okay" I don't like Matt's personality though... and I am getting worried that he thinks he needs to be like Josh Gracin on the show... the thing is Josh knew when enough was enough on the tough guy thing, and Matt is just annoying. I would have chosen Toby Keith for Matt

Diana - was great, but Martina is still better... but she started the show off right

George is awesome... his version was great... I like how he and John Stevens are not just fitting into each style... but making each song fit them...

Jasmine, Julia DeMato sang Breathe last year and stunk it up... and Jasmine didn't do much better...

Fantasia - I don't care if she is a good singer(IMHO she's not) her annoying personality needs to get toned down or she needs to go... seriously she's not as special as she thinks!

Camille - I like her personality... I think she's sweet... but she sounds stuffed up when she sings... not her best performance

AMy was great I HATE that song... I would have rather her sing "Good-bye Earl" which would fit her personality, I think, way better... I mean, if you HAVE to sing a Dixie Chicks song pick THAT one and not Sin Wagon LOL I think why Simon is giving her a hard time: she was the best tonight in the style... he said the SAME THING to Josh Gracin last year...

bottom 3 for me: JPL, Jennifer, Diana (though I want Fantasia to go home really bad, if she keeps talking about herself in the third person I'm gonna scream)

mike79

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:

Matt - Amazed is a great song, Josh Gracin sang it great last season, Matt just can't compare to the original recording OR Josh... it was "okay" I don't like Matt's personality though... and I am getting worried that he thinks he needs to be like Josh Gracin on the show... the thing is Josh knew when enough was enough on the tough guy thing, and Matt is just annoying. I would have chosen Toby Keith for Matt

Everyone knows I'm no Josh Gracin fan but ITA with you. Josh was WAY better than Matt. It seems that Matt is a real attention hog, and it's really annoying.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I forgot to rank them all the way and I don't want to edit LOL

1. Amy
2. Diana
3. John
4. George
5. Layota
6. Fantasia - though if I had MY way she would go home tonight LOL
7. Matt
8. JPL
9. Camille
10. Jasmine
11. Jennifer

Well, y'know, they have to choose from a list. Maybe put some more [risky? edgy?] songs on the list to begin with.

Actually Clay Aiken last season said that they have a huge list, up to 10,000 songs to choose from... every week... and it's basically a "what do you know, what is your favorite, ok lets go sing it" the vocal coaches also help you determine what to sing... so it's all up to teh singers... the only reason there's a list is because some artists refuse to let American Idol use their music.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I hate country music. Don't usually like Amy but she was great tonight...needs to lose the multitoned hair, IMO she has plenty of SASS needs more polish. Loved what Latoya did with the Garth Brooks song...girl song guy song, who cares she was ENTERTAINING! . I just don't get John at all BORING!!! Jon P reminds me of a young George W. Linda Ronstadt (IMO the ultimate pop Idol/Icon who can sing ANYTHING) could sing Desperado, The Eagles could sing Desperado....Camille could not. Jennifer and Fantasia can sing but really dislike their personalities.

Amy, La Toya and George were my top three tonight. Over all George is still my favorite.

Piel

Last edited:
Seems my opinion is way off from everyone elses this week. I'm not much of a country fan and never enjoy "country week" for AI, but.....
I thought it was a good week for both Matt and John Peter.
Amy was much improved this week but it still seems she isn't singing out enough...I felt like the music was drowning her out sometimes.
My overall placing would be, best to worst:
Diana
George
LaToya
Amy
Jasmine
Fantasia
John Stevens
Matt
John Peter
Jennifer
Camille

I just watched my tape of the "results" show...I wasn't surprised to see Matt go nor to see Camille as one of the bottom 3, but I was VERY surprised that Diana was in the bottom 3. Thankfully she's safe, tho!

Pati

On the Ice
NJSk8Fan- LOL, you are not alone at all! This whole thing is so bogus if you ask me. This is not about who can sing the best at all. Its about who's fans make the most phone calls.:mad:
If it were up to me and the hubster,JonP would be going home. He murdered that song.
And don't even let me get started on Camille!
I really liked John the redhead at first, but he doesn't seem to be alive...could someone check and see if he's breathing?
Jennifer belongs on Broadway I think. I can't see her as an American Idol, but I can see her belting out tunes on Broadway.

Now I shall take cover and run!
:D

Twinnie, that post was GREAT! And to not have at least SOME of that knowledge is exactly why I said last week that I thought we were starting to see cracks in Simon's abilities, especially as a producer. (This post is kind of spanning the last two weeks.) Toni responded (I sound like Seacrest doing the recap; sorry Toni, lol!) that Simon was there to judge the whole package. ITA. I hope they're ALL there to judge the whole package. But a major part of the whole package is how well they sing and if you can't hear a thing as basic as when a singer is off-pitch, what the hell are you doing being a record producer? Do something else in music, but don't be the key person between the singer and the finished product. Legendary producers such as Phil Spector and George Martin literally changed the way we hear music when the right talent came along. Of course I don't expect every producer to be able to do that, but I think you've got to know the mechanics of what brings the best out of a singer so you can help guide him/her in putting together an album. Otherwise it's just hit-or-miss and short careers.

But Rgal, that explanation of the "gift spot" for a voice (hmm, G spot?) is a classic example. Jasmine has a great voice and of all the contestants, she has the best communication, IMO. But Tues. night she sounded awful. You could both hear and see her straining to make the song work. It was as if even she was confused, like, "Why does this sound and feel so bad?" She even looked distracted by it. I did not hear her go off key, but at first I thought it was what Randi said, that the song was in the wrong key for her. But your explanation is the only one that makes sense. Not only because of how bad Jasmine sounded but also of how great Amy sounded. "Sin Wagon" is an all low-to-middle register song and it's also apparently where Amy's G spot is (okay, I'm sorry--you know me). Seriously, at least on that song, Amy reminded me of KD Lang and that is no small compliment.

Speaking of no small compliment, MAN, I was so impressed by Kimberly Locke. I was sort of ho-hum about her last season but, wow, nothing like experience and determination. She looked like she'd had 10 years experience in the last 12 months or whatever it's been. GOOD FOR KIM!

Everybody covered everybody and my feelings haven't changed much about people from my monster post last week. Except, about Fantasia and Simon: Simon said she looked like her mother dressed her and that's when she went off with what I thought was a very funny "Simon, you just don't understand class!" BTW, according to TV GUIDE, the contestants are INSTRUCTED by the AI producers to disagree with the judges, especially Simon, if they say something negative to them. Apparently the producers know that this is what the audience loves and I think they're right. Had Simon not added the "And you look like your mother dressed you" (I mean, come on; he knows all you have to do to get a rise out of somebody, especially somebody like Fantasia, is say "yo mama") and just complimented her with, "Don't get too old," it would have seemed rude. But Simon clearly threw down the gauntlet and I thought Fantasia responded perfectly. She knows she's a funky chick from the south and that it's going to be funny to hear her tell the "proper Englishman" he doesn't know class. I laughed. She's just confident. And she should be. She is all that, lol.

Since it's all over and Matt is gone, for which I'm glad though I do give him props for the best sing out, I won't go through my list except to say Amy won the night, with LaToya an acceptable but not great second. And one other thing. I thought I was imagining things with JPL. When he didn't start doing the funky chicken, I thought, "Whew! Now I can actually listen and watch him." But Randi was right! JPL loses his voice when he stands still. Dancing like an idiot is to JPL's singing as Samson's hair is to his strength. Go figure. America may love him, but definitely not my type. Also, couldn't help but notice that Jennifer Hudson had a major makeover. I love her voice. It's so low it's different, though I haven't heard her G spot yet;)

So Twinnie, I guess you didn't see my last week's AI post where I talked about why I don't get George. Could you please explain what's good about him for me?
Rgirl
PS Looks like America is catching on at least somewhat to Diana. I bet if she went out and failed miserably at a few things she might make a really interesting singer in about five or 10 years. I can't blame her, actually, since she's only 16 and I think she's only doing what she's been rewarded for all her life. I do blame her teachers, however, and perhaps her parents if they took her away from teachers who wanted more than power lungs.

Kasey

Medalist
I think Amy was the best of the night, with LaToya very close behind. Amy is the ONLY one who bothered to make it sound country. I think Camille was really gifted by being given another week. Was sad to see Matt go...he didn't have the greatest voice, but he seemed sweet, and what a classy send off.

Fantasia, on the other side, wouldn't know class if it stood up and slapped her....GRRRRR.

:rolleye:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I was actually quite surprised to see Camille and Diana in the bottom 3, even though they were both in my personal bottom 3 for that episode; I thought they would have both had enough fan support behind them (in the case of Camille, I have NO IDEA why) to squeak through. As for Matt, I think Simon said it best -- Tuesday night should have been HIS night, but he ruined it by choosing the wrong song. That is one case where he should have gone with the safe and predictable; had he done some Garth Brooks type barn-burner instead of going the sappy and whiny route, he would have been safe another week and then hopefully Camille would have been gonged. (Actually, in some cases I think the Gong Show motif would be a great idea with some of these people)

As for Jennifer -- great voice, but she has yet to choose a song that showcases it very well. I think that one of these nights, tho, she's going to finally choose just the right song and blow everyone away.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Toni responded (I sound like Seacrest doing the recap; sorry Toni, lol!) that Simon was there to judge the whole package. ITA.

LOL!!! Seacrest, OUT! ;)

I hope they're ALL there to judge the whole package. But a major part of the whole package is how well they sing and if you can't hear a thing as basic as when a singer is off-pitch, what the hell are you doing being a record producer?

I think what Simon meant was in the "stage/arena" that they're in and where they're positioned it's VERY HARD TO HEAR because they are SO LOUD. That's why he told Camille that he thought that when she watched herself on TV she would sound very flat. I've read several reviews of people who have gone and they've said depending on where you sit you can't tell anything because your ears are ringing because of how loud the whole thing is.

However, even if that's not what he meant... SIMON, I believe, was part of the marketing, not the overall production, of singers... last year he was all about marketability over talent(Ruben vs Clay) and I just get the vibe that that's where his "talent" is.

anyway on to last night

I did NOT see that coming. Matt was not the best, but he certainly shouldn't be going home before Camille... and Jennifer so should have been in the bottom three... or at least Jasmine because of their *Simon moment* horrid renditions of those two awesome songs. I do have to say that while I never liked him in the competition... his "farewell" piece that they created felt very "real" which is a first for Matt... and his reaction to it all was very real... so yeah, he kinda won me over on the night that he wouldn't be on the show anymore... and I LOVED the change of the song... Paula and Randy loved it... and Simon looked like he was embarassed....
oh well... as long as John stays in the game... ;)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Oh, Twinnie! I am SO sorry! I meant to answer your question about George last week but I forgot! Moo on me!

George is like the Bette Midler of American Idol. Not the greatest singer but incredibly entertaining with a natural ability to make the audience feel good. He is also one of the only singers we've heard with a true bass voice--unique voice types are always intriguing. But my first explanation above is what will guide him to the final four.

Incidentally, I nearly spit up when Simon ragged on him for his lack of individual style, saying that he should be more like Reuben in terms of individuality. Hey, the guy wore an XXXXXL football jersey with a number on it, week in and week out. Oh, yeah, real unique. Every week I just couldn't wait to see what Reuben would wear... NOT! :eek:

Also, I thought it absurd that Simon said he had nothing to say about Amy because he didn't understand the style of country music. Gee, that didn't stop him from commenting on, criticizing or lauding the ten previous singers!