2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Free Skate | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Free Skate

emma

Record Breaker
Marchei's skate was great and yes, her reaction - sheer joy- was priceless. I'm so happy for her. So sad that Akiko, with basically the same score, wasn't so happy - but boy, oh boy, do I love skating. Hope she can really skate well later.

dardar1126

On the Ice
I wonder if there was a bit of score inflation for Yulia because at that point the medals were locked in? :confused: I think she probably deserved to win the LP, but not by that large of a margin. But at that point it kind of didn't matter if she won by 5 points or more.

Just a thought....

smoothiw

Rinkside
As long as we're spreading the love, shout out to Valentina Marchei. Loved her delight at being in 2nd before Lipnitskaya skated.

Yes. She was impressive. Her program really worked for me. There is always something good in her skating.
She has some quality such as musicality, expression and skating with deep edge.

Ven

Match Penalty
The scoring was once again disgusting. Julia should have won with high 120s, Gracie maybe 5 points back in low-mid 120s.

The protocols on Julia are an absolute embarrassment to the entire sport. Her final spin traveled more than any I've seen in a long time ... and look at the score.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Erm..where did Adelina Sotnikova go? Wasn't she the Russian darling prior to Euros?

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
I am curious as to why so many think that Julia should have won. I am really would like a break down of what she did sooo much better. I just can't see it. I would have had Gracie a few points ahead.

Ven

Match Penalty
I am curious as to why so many think that Julia should have won. I am really would like a break down of what she did sooo much better. I just can't see it. I would have had Gracie a few points ahead.

I thought Gracie skated really well. But I can always feel like she's fighting the jumps the entire 4 minutes and not doing much else. I would have Julia beating her tonight, but not by such a large margin and not scoring 141. Ridiculous.

Julia should have been down around Gracie's score, and Gracie was probably overscored a few points too.

Amei

Record Breaker
the Russian crowd screaming 'Russia! Russia!' during the time other skaters waiting their score is so embarrassing.Ive never seen this in this sport. they are not skating fans.

From what I could tell the only time they were loudly chanting was whenever a Russian skater was coming onto the ice and warming up prior to their program, which happens while another skater is waiting/receiving their scores.

And I don't understand the use of the word 'embarrassing' - the Olympics are in Russia, so naturally the audience is going to be predominantly Russian and be cheering for Russian skaters. Was the Russian crowd supposed to chant USA?

Layfan

Record Breaker
Oh gah. I can't find a way to watch this.
I'm thrilled to hear that Gracie and Julia nailed their programs. I know both are being criticized for their shortcomings but really, both are very exciting to watch. Gracie could use a bit more depth and Julia some flow between her moves and skating (and also depth) but both are just fun to watch. People are getting so nervous that two whipper snappers out of nowhere (well, out of nowhere for people who don't follow juniors) are putting the pressure on the veterans but I think it's making the competition exciting.

Overscored or not, the reason Julia is such a threat is because she has been so consistent and Russia knows that which is why they had her skate both programs.

But the highlight for me was Carolina's Ave Maria, which I have been able to watch. I kind of which they had had her to the long program only because I feel like her short program had lifted my hopes that Caro will be the podium and her long program might have brought me down to Earth ... or who knows, maybe confirmed my hopes!

If Caro nails her programs and if there is any justice she will be on the podium.

She really

Amei

Record Breaker
All very valid points!! I do think Julia has improved since GPF dramatically. Just my opinion I know but it's there if for me. Factor in her Euro win and however you look at it that, big wins increase PCS in the judges eyes. I am with you that the scoring was ridiculous. Just glad the best girls won today and were placed fair. I honestly don't care how the judges do it as long as the fair winner wins.

I agree, and for the team event it doesn't matter if Skater A beat Skater B by 1 point or 100 points, you get x number of points for your final placement. But where I think some fans are getting upset is that the individual event IS based on points and if someone is given a ridiculously good SP score or LP score, that could affect medal placement.

For me - as long as the best skater that night wins, I'm fine with the scoring being ridiculous.

bekalc

Record Breaker
People keep on saying the judges are blinded by the things that make Julia dazzling. And here's the thing, while the judges should be judges, I think a skater who dazzles should get points for that. Especially in performance/execution... Who wants skaters to be all jump jump jump with nothing that draws you in. Julia draws you in and does stand out. And that should be rewarded in program components.

acco-lade

Rinkside
Totally agree. They should have been scored much closer. Gracie had a few scratchy landings but overall, the quality of her jumps in height and ice coverage is better than Julia's. And I am not a Gracie fan.

The pressure is going to go up about twenty times on Julia. But if they continue to score like this, she'll win if she's clean. And in a year, she will have grown and may not have much for jumps at all...

Guess what? 3-3 of Gracie got 0.4 goe and that of julia's did 1.4 goe. What's going on in this women figure??
Totally getting tired of this sport.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Gracie's 7-triple LP scored under 130 while Julia's scored over 140. Hah! The Russian bias is so overt.

Julia's score is shockingly high. Granted, a clean Yuna can still score a bit higher (148-150), but that leaves her with little room for error.

The Yunaverse is now Juliaverse, fair or not.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Gracie is such a total package. The scoring is truly disgraceful. Julia skates like a junior, tiny jumps and they were not that good. I did not see Gracie yet but she is textbook in her jumps and has much better speed and flow. hey, it is Russia. get used to it. They have the judges bought and sold. 141 is a joke. 10 points over.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
People keep on saying the judges are blinded by the things that make Julia dazzling. And here's the thing, while the judges should be judges, I think a skater who dazzles should get points for that. Especially in performance/execution... Who wants skaters to be all jump jump jump with nothing that draws you in. Julia draws you in and does stand out. And that should be rewarded in program components.
I agree. That's exactly what Gracie is missing. Everything is done, and done well, but not special. During her skate, I started thinking about something else completely. It wasn't captivating. I can't stop watching Julia. I've youtubed her Euros skate 3 or 4 times.

Barb

Record Breaker
I agree. That's exactly what Gracie is missing. Everything is done, and done well, but not special. During her skate, I started thinking about something else completely. It wasn't captivating. I can't stop watching Julia. I've youtubed her Euros skate 3 or 4 times.

Well a lot of people have youtubed to Lady gaga and justin bieber, they are good or even one of the best singers of the world?, of course not. julia is easy for the people, I am not saying you are fool or anything, I know you appreciate the good quality of her skating, a lot of people here and me do it too, but the claim that the rest of common people adore to julia like a justification to her scoring is not fair, she is a cute little girl, blond (yes, many people is even racist), super flexible, nice dress and music and she doesnt fall, those are the obvious things that people see, and obviously they love it, they dont see ss, real IN, flutz, small jumps, unfinished movements, etc

MiRé

Match Penalty
Judges might have been scared by Putin who might trigger a gun at their face if they don't overscore :rolleye:, I mean, I heard he was at the arena.
On a serious note, Julia deserves first place, no doubt, but her scores are unjustifiable, and her edges were very questionable(on the tech callers side). I seriously do not like how things are going right now in Sochi. Might as well just give gold to Julia before individuals begin.

aero

On the Ice
I want to just step in and say that Julia should not be as overscored like she has been, it's a disgrace to the skaters who actually deserve their PCS. I'm not saying that she didn't deserve first place, but a 9 point lead over Gracie in PCS when she skates so juniorish makes very little sense. I'm with the belief that Gracie was scored pretty fairly with what she put out, though.

And on another note, I'm hoping that what the commentators from NBC said about Akiko is true. That she has been conserving her energy for the individual skate... please.