Where are the medals for the Team Event? | Golden Skate

Where are the medals for the Team Event?

wallylutz

Medalist
Why weren't there any actual medals being given to the winning skaters? The only thing they were given flowers and in the case of Scott Moir, nothing at all.

I thought maybe they would receive later but during the post-event group interviews, none of them appeared to have the medals either.

Anyone knows why?

Krislite

Medalist
There's an internal battle between Putin and the IOC, where Putin is insisting the gold medal be made of platinum for team Russia. Some IOC holdovers are delaying the inevitable.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
they're doing it tomorrow. i guess they need more time to get the medals ready because of the different subs so there are a different amount of people in each team

although the result was pretty locked in from day 1

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Why weren't there any actual medals being given to the winning skaters? The only thing they were given flowers and in the case of Scott Moir, nothing at all.

I thought maybe they would receive later but during the post-event group interviews, none of them appeared to have the medals either.

Anyone knows why?

Copying and pasting below my post from another thread:

One victory ceremony for team skating already took place in the arena.
Photo of the three top teams on the podium (from the ISU's Facebook page):

But possible that a second victory ceremony will take place outside. I don't know when. Does anyone else know??
(In the case of the men's slopestyle event, I think [but am not at all sure] that the outdoor victory ceremony took place the day after the competition??)

There is a special feature of the Winter Olympic Games. Victory Ceremonies can be held not only at the venue immediately after the event, but also at the special Medals Plaza. At the Games in Sochi this plaza will be located in the center of the Olympic Park. If the ceremony is to be held at the Medals Plaza, the athletes receive flowers at the sports venue, but the other elements of the ceremony are carried out at the Medals Plaza.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ies-Free-Skate&p=842526&viewfull=1#post842526

louisa05

Final Flight
Copying and pasting below my post from another thread:

One victory ceremony for team skating already took place in the arena.
Photo of the three top teams on the podium (from the ISU's Facebook page):

But possible that a second victory ceremony will take place outside. I don't know when. Does anyone else know??
(In the case of the men's slopestyle event, I think [but am not at all sure] that the outdoor victory ceremony took place the day after the competition??)

There is a special feature of the Winter Olympic Games. Victory Ceremonies can be held not only at the venue immediately after the event, but also at the special Medals Plaza. At the Games in Sochi this plaza will be located in the center of the Olympic Park. If the ceremony is to be held at the Medals Plaza, the athletes receive flowers at the sports venue, but the other elements of the ceremony are carried out at the Medals Plaza.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ies-Free-Skate&p=842526&viewfull=1#post842526

Terry Gannon said at the end of the NBCSN broadcast that they would receive medals in a ceremony at the medals plaza tomorrow. No issue with numbers of medals or any such thing. That was the plan all along for the entire Games.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Terry Gannon said at the end of the NBCSN broadcast that they would receive medals in a ceremony at the medals plaza tomorrow. No issue with numbers of medals or any such thing. That was the plan all along for the entire Games.

well that sounds ******* stupid

Last edited by a moderator:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
well that sounds ... stupid

Disagree. I think it's great that the skaters (and medalists from other sports) have another chance to celebrate and receive recognition for their accomplishments -- in front of another audience (some of whom presumably did not have tix to the competition itself). :yay:

laurlaur63

Spectator
Overall, I enjoyed the competition. However, 7 points seemed a bit excessive in between the teams. You could clearly see the twizzles were off. It's getting to be a bit ridiculous.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I wonder how they managed to mess up counting the number of team members for Canada. Poor Scott with no flowers! ;)

Memelah711

Rinkside
So they are not getting the medals the night they win? Is it going to be like that for every skating event? The winning team/skaters get their "flower ceremony" at the venue the night of the finals, but won't get their medals until the next day? Why not just reward them the night of the finals, like it's always been done? I just don't see the point in the organizers going through the trouble of setting up the podium, lights, flowers etc but NOT include the medals :confused: The snowboarders got their medals the same day, I don't see why the skaters can't. I don't like this one stinking bit.

mmcdermott

On the Ice
It looks like all the events that finish late at night get their medals at the medals plaza the following night. The team figure skating events finished after the womens moguls (from Day 1) medal presentation. I suppose there wouldn't have been time to transport the athletes to the medals plaza and get things organized for their presentation before they finished for the night there.

One problem I can see with this is that the athletes who want to leave the country for training before their individual events will have to stick around for another day.

Surely there must be some official information out there about how this works and why they're doing it this way ...

Welcome to the forum, lauruur63. Thanks for posting. :)

Dr Jenn said:
I wonder how they managed to mess up counting the number of team members for Canada. Poor Scott with no flowers!

That is the duty of the team captain. If the flowers come up short, he is the one who must fall on his sword. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. :)

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Welcome to the forum, lauruur63. Thanks for posting. :)

That is the duty of the team captain. If the flowers come up short, he is the one who must fall on his sword. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. :)

That's hilarious.

Did everyone gets an extra dose of humor to share for these Olympics? I really enjoyed the comments made during the team events.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wonder how they managed to mess up counting the number of team members for Canada. Poor Scott with no flowers! ;)

.... That is the duty of the team captain. If the flowers come up short, he is the one who must fall on his sword. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. :)

That's hilarious.

Did everyone gets an extra dose of humor to share for these Olympics? I really enjoyed the comments made during the team events.

Respect to Capt. Moir for taking one -- or in this case, for not taking one ;), if you know what I mean -- for the team. My only regret is that I bet he always likes to bestow his flowers on his mother or GF.

I am reminded of the GPF 2012 Gala (also in Sochi ... hmmmm), when Davis was the only skater -- female or male -- who apparently ended up without flowers. (Look to the right of the Facebook photo at the link below.) Her otherwise gallant partner either did not notice or did not insist that she take his. But in fairness to White, maybe he wanted to save his flowers for the love of his life ... meaning DJ, of course.

In Mathman's case, his baseline humor quotient always is very high. No extra dose required. :laugh:

They've been doing it for years at the winter Olympics. Figure Skating was actually an anomaly in that they gave the medals right after the competition.

It looks like all the events that finish late at night get their medals at the medals plaza the following night. The team figure skating events finished after the womens moguls (from Day 1) medal presentation. I suppose there wouldn't have been time to transport the athletes to the medals plaza and get things organized for their presentation before they finished for the night there.

One problem I can see with this is that the athletes who want to leave the country for training before their individual events will have to stick around for another day.

Surely there must be some official information out there about how this works and why they're doing it this way ...

Your point about athletes who intend to temporarily relocate for additional training had not occurred to me, but I don't blame the IOC for feeling no need to aid and abet such relocation, which does not exactly enhance the fellowship of all Olympians from all sports from all countries.

And how dare the IOC expect athletes to accept congratulations and celebrate on the podium twice instead of only once?
I would hate to think that any athlete feels inconvenienced :eek: instead of honored.

Kinga

Medalist
The snowboarders got their medals the same day, I don't see why the skaters can't. I don't like this one stinking bit.

Even if snowboarders get their medals on the same day, it is much later in the evening, at the medal plaza. It is like that for everyone. The medal ceremonies are arranged there and I think it is actually cool. A flower ceremony right after the competition and the medal ceremony later. Why not??

A really piss-poor effort by the organisers not making sure they had enough flowers. ((Moir))

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Team USA bronze medalists just appeared live on the Today show. None were wearing medals, and apparently the ceremony has not happened yet.

Wagner made a reference along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing): "I don't think it will hit me until we're on the medal stand ..."

(I'm not saying that the ceremony won't happen before day's end Sochi time.)

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Wagner made a reference along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing): "I don't think it will hit me until we're on the medal stand ..."

That's why I prefer the medal ceremony to be held right after the competition and in the same venue. I don't see the point in postponing it, it just seems like an afterthought.
Track&Field medal ceremonies often take place the day after the competition, and IMO it doesn't have the same taste as, for instance, swimming medal ceremonies that always take place shortly after the competitions. It's only details, I bet athletes don't care as long as they receive their medals, but still I prefer it that way.
By the way, are they going to be presented flowers AGAIN along with the medals? No wonder that organizers were stingy with flowers and left Moir without.