Where are the medals for the Team Event? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Where are the medals for the Team Event?

Memelah711

Rinkside
That's why I prefer the medal ceremony to be held right after the competition and in the same venue. I don't see the point in postponing it, it just seems like an afterthought.
Track&Field medal ceremonies often take place the day after the competition, and IMO it doesn't have the same taste as, for instance, swimming medal ceremonies that always take place shortly after the competitions. It's only details, I bet athletes don't care as long as they receive their medals, but still I prefer it that way.

That's why I prefer the medal ceremony to be after the competition. It just doesn't have the same special quality or meaning if it's delayed. It's almost magical to see the skaters receive their medals within an hour or so of the competition.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Team USA bronze medalists just appeared live on the Today show. None were wearing medals, and apparently the ceremony has not happened yet.

Wagner made a reference along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing): "I don't think it will hit me until we're on the medal stand ..."

That's why I prefer the medal ceremony to be held right after the competition and in the same venue. I don't see the point in postponing it, it just seems like an afterthought.
Track&Field medal ceremonies often take place the day after the competition, and IMO it doesn't have the same taste as, for instance, swimming medal ceremonies that always take place shortly after the competitions. It's only details, I bet athletes don't care as long as they receive their medals, but still I prefer it that way.
By the way, are they going to be presented flowers AGAIN along with the medals? No wonder that organizers were stingy with flowers and left Moir without.

I should have been more clear in my post above.

Wagner's comment was not a complaint whatsoever. It was her way of saying, "I'm still wrapping my head around what we achieved" -- and I believe she still would have had the same thought even if a medal already had been hanging around her neck.

Just curious: Has any athlete (skater or otherwise) complained about the separate victory ceremonies? I still don't see any reason why any of them would. YMMV.

BTW, I did see photos of today's medal ceremony -- and the skaters (including Capt. Moir :) this time) were holding flowers as the medals hung around their necks. (He is at the very right, next to Asst. Capt. Virtue.)

Medals, more flowers ... and more glory for the athletes. What's not to like?

ETA:

The ceremonies take place next to the Olympic cauldron. :cool:

And in what looks like a Green Room for athletes awaiting the ceremony, the Team USA and Team Canada skaters mingled with skier Julia Mancuso, who received a medal of her own. :cool:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
It appears, from the few pictures I could find, that the pairs medalists haven't gotten their medals yet. I was hoping that the medals plaza was used just because it was the team event. Sadly, it looks like the on-ice ceremony will only consist of getting flowers. I am disappointed. I really enjoy watching the skaters skate onto the ice and receive their medals. I love seeing their reactions - joy, sadness, tears, smiles, the whole nine yards. Am I the only one?

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
A followup to my previous post:

From reading this thread more carefully, it seems like all the medal ceremonies will be at the medals plaza for this Olympics. I guess I'm just reacting to NBC's EXTREMELY rushed broadcast last night. The on-ice medal ceremony gives commentators and fans a chance to reflect on the event. Now, it's simply, "We'll show you a few programs and then sign off as quickly as possible." Heck, they didn't even show S&K's SP and they ended up winning the silver medal. How lame is that? Not to mention many other skates they skipped. They didn't even need to say "final flight" because, as far as the general US public knew, there were no flights at all. Let's put it this way: If Tugba Karademir had been skating in her first Olympics this year, I don't know if NBC would have shown it. :disapp:

YagsFan

On the Ice
As someone who has been complaining loudly about the total lack of/ridiculously compacted TV figure skating coverage for years now, I must direct you to the coverage of this Olympics on NBCSN. EVERY skater, every program, all live! And yes, I'm actually enjoying Terry, Tara and Johnny! (Even if I hated the commentators, as some here apparently do, I would still be applauding NBC for this excellent coverage.) I've even been watching the NBCSN coverage, and then recording the main network prime time show so I can fast forward through it to see some routines again and here what the other commentators have to say.
Anyway, my point is, this is the very best coverage of Olympic figure skating we've EVER gotten, and I think we should all be letting NBC know how great an idea this is, so they'll do it again, and maybe, just maybe, not just for Olympics:)