Russians furious over Olympic fix slur | Golden Skate

Russians furious over Olympic fix slur

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
According to Valentin Piseyev, General of the Russian figure skating federation, Canada is trying to get gold medals through pressure in the press. I agree. This is exactly the "point" all these articles in Canadian publications. They want to bully their way to the top of the podium. Now they are also whining about the drug tests.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8796746

dress

On the Ice
The first media which published the story about a possible agreement between Russia and USA is the french journal. L'Équipe. It's the first journal who published the doping scandal of Lance Armstrong. Canadian and American medias only relayed the information...

katia

On the Ice
Then why this info was published in FRENCH magazine (Equipe) and not Canadian one?
And seeing that Plushenko won men free, not to mention inflated points for Russian skaters I tend to agree with the story of the fix

bellafurr

On the Ice
Why is it so difficult for you to understand. It was the French press talking about Russian and American deals. I realize Canada is not well liked on this board and really dont care but get your fact straight

katia

On the Ice
A French publication reported it first, but its the Canadian media reporting it as if it is a fact
French press reports that probably there is a "fix"
So then
Americans reporting it ....how? Oh, yes, they quote French press.
Canadian reporting it.........how? Well, they are quoting French press.

Who do you blame?
But of course, bad, bad Canadians.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Very naive of you to think that someone would not filter this to a third party to deflect from the actual source. This is absolutely despicable. The amazing skills and talent of a couple are in doubt because of a disgusting rumor. Really calculated and disquieting.

French press reports that probably there is a "fix"
So then
Americans reporting it ....how? Oh, yes, they quote French press.
Canadian reporting it.........how? Well, they are quoting French press.

Who do you blame?
But of course, bad, bad Canadians.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
They just can't get over the FACT that Davis/White are so much better than V/M. It was even more pronounced in the freedance today. It's no contest. Hilarious that a little woman like Meryl has that whole country turned on its heel. When you take the man, the Country is soon to follow...

katia

On the Ice
Thinking the way you are thinking one can accuse Poles of starting the II WW..............oh wait, Russian press did it, didn't they?
As for who is despicable, .........I am thinking that you are naive if you think that Russians got the points they got w/o very, very bad judging and possibly "a fix"

@blackswanphoto
Why don't you READ what is written in the newspapers? You either do not understand that the "reports" or ".XXXXX..says French" mean quotation not "reporting it as a fact" as you suggested.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
How do you know it isn,t.

Because its a stupid logic and just sour grapes.. Russia and U.S. are not allies. And why would Russia need help in team and pairs out of all disciplines? And D/W surely would not need help defeating a team as lethargic and sorry as V/M.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Where?

I want to see

Here's the original source: http://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-artistique/Article/Petits-arrangements-entre-amis/10186 - notice

I'm not sure how good your French is, though. The crux of the article:
Sous couvert d'anonymat, un éminent entraîneur russe décrypte ainsi le troc envisagé avec les États-Unis : « N'étant pas en concurrence directe, eux vont nous aider pour décrocher l'or par équipes et en couple, et nous les remercierons en votant pour les Américains Davis-White, face aux Canadiens Virtue-Moir, pour ce qui serait le premier titre olympique des États-Unis en danse. »

That roughly translates into:
Requesting to stay anonymous, an imminent Russian coach revealed a trade envisioned with the US: "Since we aren't directly competing they will help us get the team gold and the pairs gold and we will thank them by voting for Davis-White, opposed to Virtue-Moir, to give the US its first Olympic title in dance."

The article also says that both the French and Italians received assurances that the Russian judge would "support" their skaters in the ice dance competition.

The article ends with a small discussion of the ice dancing portion of the 2002 pairs scandal, pointing out that the Russian judge voted against the French and that, scandal or not, the French deserved to win the ice dance in Salt Lake because they performed better on the ice and that, vote trading or not, the truth on the ice might very well be respected anyway.

But anyway, the rumours are not coming form the Canadian press.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Thinking the way you are thinking one can accuse Poles of starting the II WW..............oh wait, Russian press did it, didn't they?
As for who is despicable, .........I am thinking that you are naive if you think that Russians got the points they got w/o very, very bad judging and possibly "a fix"

@blackswanphoto
Why don't you READ what is written in the newspapers? You either do not understand that the "reports" or ".XXXXX..says French" mean quotation not "reporting it as a fact" as you suggested.

The points they received would not have changed the placement. They deserved every single placement they got in the team competition. Its the same logic that if competitions was in Canada, the Canadians get inflated scores. just look at Skate Canada and the Vancouver Olympics.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I agree and the scores are only now reflecting the huge void that his been obvious for years. The fact that the gap is due to minor mistakes is laughable.

They just can't get over the FACT that Davis/White are so much better than V/M. It was even more pronounced in the freedance today. It's no contest. Hilarious that a little woman like Meryl has that whole country turned on its heel. When you take the man, the Country is soon to follow...

dress

On the Ice
I took a look at canadian tv news, and they treat it like a rumour started by a french journal. They said it's not proven yet

katia

On the Ice
Because its a stupid logic and just sour grapes.. Russia and U.S. are not allies. And why would Russia need help in team and pairs out of all disciplines? And D/W surely would not need help defeating a team as lethargic and sorry as V/M.
And someone accused me of being naive?
You are quite naive if you think that the enemies or not-friends may not have a short term understandings if it is profitable for both countries. For example in sport or in politics.