Russians furious over Olympic fix slur | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Russians furious over Olympic fix slur

millie

Medalist
Osmond a gold? I don't think so. In the Team SP, even when clean she was 10 points behind Lipnitskaia and 8 points behind Kostner; in the FS she was 31 points behind Lipnitskaia and 19 points behind Gold. That's a lot of points to make up, and she hasn't faced Kim yet.

Virtue/Moir has to get past Davis/White to win that Dance gold. With V/M's soporofically boring FD, it is by no means a slam dunk.

Are you and sky_fly 20, one in the same? Lol .. Never say never...look at Tara Lipinsky...who ever thought that she would win over Kwan....

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
RE: skiing event: I'm not saying it was fixed either. Just funny considering the current FS scandal. I generally like to poke at those who believe conspiracy theories and the like. I'm not a skiing expert but the results seemed fair to me.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
look at Tara Lipinsky...who ever thought that she would win over Kwan....

hmm... Lipinski was the reigning World Champion entering the Olympics. She was also known to be very reliable on her jumps. Kwan was going through some insecurities in jumping, so her mistake in the 97 WC SP and her leaving out the 3-3 and scratchy landing on the 3F in the 98 OG LP weren't "completely out of the blue", even if it was a given that she'd have won if she had skated perfectly.

sweetskates1

Medalist
That was horrible - do not remind me. I do not think that Osmond has a chance in h^7&. This is Julia's gold medal and unless Yuna, Caro and Mao skate clean. Hopefully.

Are you and sky_fly 20, one in the same? Lol .. Never say never...look at Tara Lipinsky...who ever thought that she would win over Kwan....

dress

On the Ice
I really like Osmond, but I don't think she will get the gold now, but I think it might be possible at the next olympics. The only way she could get a gold medal would be if the favorites break down under the pressure. It already happened in the past.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I think Millie probably meant Patrick Chan for a gold medal, and not Kaetlyn??

And no figure skating is not everything in Canada. Hockey is still the national sport. It be will be national mourning if they don't win the gold medal. As usual sky fly is showing he/she doesn't know anything about Canada and Canadians.

Maybe because I live in Québec, but I haven't heard anything about the scandal. The media here is all about the Dufour-Lapointe sisters, Eric Guay, and tonight Charles Hamelin (and François his brother) and Alex Bilodeau and Mikael Kingsbury. They barely showed the medal ceremony.

millie

Medalist
You see they think you are serious. The thing is I hate to see K.O. getting trashed

Listen, I am serious and not trashing Kaetlyn......she is our home girl. At least she not making the news like Gracie and Ashley, calling themselves Show Ponies ready to perform. Gracie saying that she will beat Lipnitskaia and grinning Ashley standing by her side, oh my. Someone should give them a reality check. I suppose it doesn't hurt them to dream. Lol

Angryyew

Rinkside
Listen, I am serious and not trashing Kaetlyn......she is our home girl. At least she not making the news like Gracie and Ashley, calling themselves Show Ponies ready to perform. Gracie saying that she will beat Lipnitskaia and grinning Ashley standing by her side, oh my. Someone should give them a reality check. I suppose it doesn't hurt them to dream. Lol

Are they supposed to say they don't have a shot? At least they didn't claim they let her win :)

sweetskates1

Medalist
You are probably right - :disapp:

It is sad the Canadians feel 'attacked' on the boards. For me, it is about the love for the skaters and the magic they bring to the ice - not the countries.

Gee sweetskates I am perfectly calm compared to others on this board

millie

Medalist
The Olympics are supposed to bring peace and good sportsmanship. But in the US, it brings out the worst in people and meanness toward other countries and skaters. It seems that they haven't got a good word for Canada and their athletes.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I like Kaetlyn Osmond. She's like Akiko Suzuki in that they're almost-always happy when they're skating. That kind of quality always makes me smile.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I respectfully disagree. I think that we love our country and you can accuse us of being overly proud but we are, for the most part, not nasty. And, I have good words for Canada's athletes:

For the men, I do not like Patrick Chan and it has nothing to do with his nationality. Like many here, I think he is overscored and it pains me to see how more deserving skaters (in my eyes) have been denied championships and medals because of the favoritism he enjoys from the judges/system. However, he, unlike Plushenko, has methodically added all the elements and components that make a program technically great to his arsenal. I appreciate that, but have never felt anything watching him. I also like Elladj Baldé even though he is a non-factor internationally. I find him cool. I really dislike Reynolds as much as I dislike Russian ice dancers B/S - I find all three unattractive and unappealing (not their personal physical appearances but their presentation.)

For the ladies, I think Kaetlyn (sp? - sorry!) is okay. Like with Joannie, I just didn't dream with her when she skated. I love ladies like Mao, Akiko and sometimes Carolina, because like Michelle and Sasha did, they transport me when they skate. I just do not feel that with Kaetlyn and I found myself feeling for Amelie Lacoste - she is such a headcase. :( I think she had my emotional investment.

For the pairs, I find that the Canadians have kick-*** teams. D/R are a medal threat and so are M-T/M. This is amazing and I am highly impressed. I guess that D/R are rough around the edges and 'ugly' in the eyes of those that are much more knowledgeable than me but I think that they are good. Our pairs? Pffft, horrible.

For ID, there is no comparison from my point of view, Davis and White are living legends - the greatest ice dancers - amazing technicians and athletic juggernauts. V/M have a lot of diehard fans and I understand that they are the sweethearts of a nation that cares a lot more than we do about figure skating in general nowadays. However, they have never done anything for me and I find them sappy and manipulative when they perform. I also am really put off by Moir's personality. He is a d89k and that has nothing to do with his citizenship. While I think that W/P are extremely stylish - even more so than V/M - because I find them sensual and romantic as supposed to sappy/saccharine, their technical arsenal needs additions - lots of them - before they can compete. I like the G/P pair a lot and I hope it is not just because of the music they are skating to this season. There are a lot of great podium contenders in North America that will duke it out against the Russians and young French teams. It will be interesting to see how all the podiums look now that the unbeatable pupils of Canton retire.

So there - take or leave it. This has nothing to do with your nationality. If people tell me that our ladies are blah, that our men have no chance in hell, that our pairs suck and that only D/W are great - I will not take it as a sign of anti-Americanism. And, that is the funny part, I get so much crap for being American. No other 'nationals' are more vilified. They hate us in the Third World (with just reason) and they hate us in Europe and the commonwealths (kind of hypocritical) but oh well. I might be annoying when I chant USA USA USA but I do so with pride because I love my country not because I feel that yours sucks.

The Olympics are supposed to bring peace and good sportsmanship. But in the US, it brings out the worst in people and meanness toward other countries and skaters. It seems that they haven't got a good word for Canada and their athletes.

Coco Usagi

Rinkside
I like some of the Nationalists, like Andrew Poje, nice guy, good looking, not a sore loser (although he can't finnstep or twizzle for ****). Hubba hubba hot Nationalist!

Do I really need to repeat myself about why calling someone a "Nationalist" with a capital N makes you petty and small? Do you even know what the term even means?! If you don't then please don't use it.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
And, that is the funny part, I get so much crap for being American. No other 'nationals' are more vilified. They hate us in the Third World (with just reason) and they hate us in Europe and the commonwealths (kind of hypocritical) but oh well. I might be annoying when I chant USA USA USA but I do so with pride because I love my country not because I feel that yours sucks.

Well, I feel a bit syrupy for writing this, but just to make sure: I'm European and I like (most!) Americans :)
I spent a year as an exchange student in Greensboro, NC, and remain in contact with most of the many great American friends I made there to this day - it's been 12 years!
I'm both French and German, so I get the "arrogant unfriendly" Parisian cliché (never lived in Paris, and the rest of France is so different, but that's another story) and the "boring unfunny" image from Germans (I won't even go there with the historical past someone on this forum tried to refer to to shut me up).
Just like with disregarding any impulse to start disliking Lipnitskaya for the overblown marks others are giving her with no fault of her own, I'll take stuff like whatever wars G.W. Bush started under wrong pretenses to win elections as what it is, something the American Population has nothing to do with.
I can assure you the overwhelming majority of educated Europeans have the same feeling, even if the dumb loud ones tend to be more noticeable on internet forums... :disapp:
So yeah, rest assured, we like you :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

No, I am not sky_fly. I like Osmond, but I don't see her winning the OGM in the ladies event or finishing on or near the podium. She doesn't have the technical chops and she doesn't get the huge PCS scores needed to compete at the top level.

As for Lipinsky, she had TWICE beaten Kwan in the Champion Series Final (what the Grand Prix Final was called at the time) two years in a row, and had beaten Kwan at the 1997 World Championship the year before the Olympics. So Tara, the reigning World Champion at the time, winning the 1998 Olympics, wasn't quite the same proposition as Osmond winning the 2014 Ladies OGM. Osmond has never made it to a GP Final or won a World medal, let alone a World Championship.