Pairs Free - Notes & Results | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free - Notes & Results

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Just finished watching pairs on TV. Wow! what a competition! I absolutely love all medalists. There is no question that the night belonged to S&Z. Both P&T and T&M delivered great skates. Personally, I agree with the placements in the free -- to me P&T are every lyrical, but somewhat lack in excitement. Though I can certainly see the argument for having it the otehr way.

mzheng

Record Breaker
And first time Dick and Peggy talked a little during S&Z's performance. They must be drawn into the performance as I did.

soogar

Record Breaker
I'm sorry , the ABC fluff piece on Shen and Zhao with Shen's mom talking about how the family was so poor that all they could afford was three dumplings and they gave them all to her was way too much.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I believe this was misunderstood or some translation problem.

As far as I know compare most of chinese family in that eare at that time, her dad and mom's income were not that poor. Certainly the life there can't compare to life here. I read at sina that the rink she skated in was far from where she live, her dad has to ride her over there for practice every day. Thus sometimes they must eat out. They couldn't bring their home made food to the out side rink it was-20C. While eat out was very rare back then in china and certainly it was a much more expansive than home made food. It was not like her dad was starving all day and every day. 20 years back in china, the monthly income of an up middle family can afford dine out decently about 4 or 5 times. Family usually spent 70 to 80% income on food, but the quality of the food still can't compare what we have here with only may be 1/40 of our income. But there was no taxes, goverment pay medical bills, the housing was almost free, colledge tuation that is if you made into the colledge, etc.

A lot of things you have to live there to understand. Like a lot posters critisizing Pan being too skinny, even my daughter was commenting Pan is too skinny today when we watch them skating. When I told her how much skinny I was before I had her, she was like 'now I get why you always say I'm a little over weighted, but I considering I'm just standard weight'. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enero

On the Ice
I actually liked the fluff piece on S/Z. It really puts things into perspective. I found their story inspiring.

Their skate was beautiful. And though they were not wearing the gold at the end of the night, I saw them as the gold medalists. They really have come a long way since they first burst onto the international scene.

So far this world championship has been more exciting than it's been a long while. And it's so refreshing to see the new faces and so many good talented skaters finally reaching their potential.

I hope the ladies event is as exciting as the Mens and Pairs.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
And first time Dick and Peggy talked a little during S&Z's performance. They must be drawn into the performance as I did.

I noticed that, too! I think they were simply speechless and perhaps wanted to enjoy this breathtaking program along with the rest of us. It breaks my heart that they didn't win gold. Did you see the look on T&M's face after that skate? It must be bittersweet to win the gold but know that you didn't even come CLOSE to giving that kind of performance.

brenlynn

On the Ice
jasperx, any chance you would be able to do a video of O/L's long? it would be much appreciated!!:love: