Greatest artists | Golden Skate

Greatest artists

BlackPack

Medalist
Lambiel's (recent?) performance to "Ne Me Quitte Pas" had the artistry on par with John Curry. Matt Savoie. Dai. Christopher Dean. Not just skaters who look pretty or have good choreographers, but they are skaters who emanate something from their souls expressed through physical movement.

Lambiel's recent performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9snEtUHJZ0

:bow::bow::bow:

Who are the skaters that are true artists? (Not really talking about skaters who can mimic good choreography with great line and posture, but skaters who really create something original and special on their own).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Curry, Cousins, Lambiel, Buttle, Browning, Wylie, Barna are my favorite artistic skaters. Many other great ones though.

stevlin

On the Ice
I really like Buttle, Lambiel and Ilia Kulik.

Here my fav Kulik (such a pity, i haven't found better quality) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJEXQ0UHJSw

I love Jeff Buttle's skating style. Far from the best jumper but he has everything else. Elegant edges, transitions, beautiful moves, best sit spinns, camels. I could watch him skate all day. Love Lambiel and Kulik too. Plus Todd Eldredge, Brian Orser, Boitano.

I agree with pretty much everyone who has been mentioned so far, and I'd also add Yagudin at his best.

Of women, Michelle, Yuka Sato, and Akiko Suzuki for starters.

noskates

Record Breaker
Kurt Browning for his versatility, hitting every note of the music, and always surprising us from Ragudin the Clown to Singin' In The Rain.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Interesting that most of the examples given so far are male singles skaters. (I don't disagree ;) )

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm surprised no one has said Oksana Baiul. Julia Lip could take some notes on how to really emote at 15. I mean Oksana skated her exhibition at Worlds first to Ava Maria then Michael Jackson. I doubt Julia has that kind artistic range.

desertskates

Medalist
<---- Sasha!
She was always my favorite. I just wish she'd been able to master the jumps under pressure :/

BounceAround

On the Ice
<---- Sasha!
She was always my favorite. I just wish she'd been able to master the jumps under pressure :/

I loved Sasha too! I even liked her corny Celine Dion exhibition :D. I watch that one on repeat.

Your last sentence is kind of funny to me. I remember all the times I was crushed when Sasha let the gold medal slip away, but I think the USFSA would love to have a "Sasha" today. I mean, I was furious when she flubbed the salchow in 2004. Today I'd probably be like, "OMG the U.S. girl only made one small mistake at Worlds!"

I'm surprised no one has said Oksana Baiul. Julia Lip could take some notes on how to really emote at 15. I mean Oksana skated her exhibition at Worlds first to Ava Maria then Michael Jackson. I doubt Julia has that kind artistic range.

I remember that MJ exhibition. Was that even legal :p? In the same vein, her "Sadeness" exhibition was amazing.

desertskates

Medalist
The thing about Sasha is she's such a tiny thing, but she skated up and out and just projected everything. That first tumble and second stumble in the '06 games crushed me (and my friend watching with me), but the rest of the program was on another level. Sigh.

And the amazing thing about Sasha was that she projected the same maturity of style when she first showed up as a senior, at the age of fifteen or so. She didn't look spindly or coltish in her first season but had that beautiful carriage and the fabulous extensions and placements right away. Her mistakes usually cost her a gold, but it's interesting how many podiums she did end up on, including internationally. If Alissa were just that degree of headcase and no more, she'd have had a truly sparkling international career. Maybe Polina....

christinaskater

Medalist
Akiko Suzuki
Michelle Kwan
Lu Chen.
Yuka Sato
John Curry.
Toller Cranston.
Carolina Kostner.
Daisuke Takahashi.
Stephane Lambiel.

Eloise