Russian Audiences | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Russian Audiences

wootie

Match Penalty
It would be trolling except it was obvious from just watching on TV how ungracious the Russian audience was to non-Russian skaters and how much they seemed to want the non-Russians to fall.

Anyway, I wonder if there is a cultural explanation.

BounceAround

On the Ice
wootie, I'm not Russian, so don't put to much credence in what I say.

I think it has more to do with what kinds of fans were there than the fact that they were Russian. Some other posters mentioned that the tickets mostly got sold to locals - i.e. the general public/non-skating fans. I'd imagine that if you were to seat the general U.S. public or general Chinese public, etc., at a skating event you might get similar behaviors. When I watch skating with my family and friends, their first and only instinct is to cheer for the "home team" and sometimes against the "others". I thought the crowds at this year's Rostelecom Cup, who probably hardcore skating fans, were fine.

I hope none of our Russian forum members feel that questions regarding certain officials/crowds/results are meant to target Russians in general!

Mao88

Record Breaker
It would be trolling except it was obvious from just watching on TV how ungracious the Russian audience was to non-Russian skaters and how much they seemed to want the non-Russians to fall.

Anyway, I wonder if there is a cultural explanation.

I've heard that they chanted even in gala.. what a bunch of douches.

Time this hate thread was closed (obviously deliberately designed to invite equally unsavory comments) and you two were banned. Your posts throughout the last few days have been extremely offensive and prejudiced. I'm British and at the London Olympics a couple of years ago (which I attended), the British crowds were just as patriotic and partisan. All home crowds are, and rightfully so. People are entitled to be patriotic and to cheer on their own competitors. The Russian crowds were no different to any other.

longlivethequeen

Spectator
Totally agree with you

Did you watch the Gala exhibition tonight?
The Russian crowd was shouting 'RO-SSSSI-AAA' even during the other skaters' gala performances, not the competition.
Russia should not hold any major sports events ever again until the Earth destroys. The audience were the worst ever. :scowl:

I know the Russian skaters were skating on home ice and, obviously, Russians want their skaters to succeed. However, by the Ladies free skate, it became really obvious to me that the crowd had gone beyond supporting the Russian skaters and started revealing themselves to be tacky and graceless, especially in light of the fact that they got pretty much everything they wanted despite the fact that the results were dubious in both the ladies and ice dance events. I love how they didn't bother to clap or pay attention during Ashley Wagner's free skate because they only cared to see if Adelina would win the gold medal (of course she would). I also noticed that when Yu-na was waving and bowing to the audience after her free skate that almost none of the Russians were clapping. Only the foreigners bothered to show some respect and applaud. It was also really bad manners to start chanting "Ru-sy-a!" while Yu-na was graciously waiting for her scores in the kiss and cry area. Everyone should have already known the judges handed the gold to Adelina. At least show some respect to the skater whose scores haven't even come up yet.

Sigh. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. What do you guys think? Look, I know the support will obviously be slanted in favor of the home team. But the level of fairness and tact displayed by the audience was soooo different in Vancouver and most of the other host Olympic cities.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Time this hate thread was closed (obviously deliberately designed to invite equally unsavory comments) and you two were banned. Your posts throughout the last few days have been extremely offensive and prejudiced. I'm British and at the London Olympics a couple of years ago (which I attended), the British crowds were just as patriotic and partisan. All home crowds are, and rightfully so. People are entitled to be patriotic and to cheer on their own competitors. The Russian crowds were no different to any other.

The Russian crowd was shouting 'RO-SSSSI-AAA' even during the other skaters' gala performances, not the competition.
Russia should not hold any major sports events ever again until the Earth destroys. The audience were the worst ever. :scowl:

Point proved. Another multi-pseud Yuna fan opens up yet another account to make a hateful comment

vinganca

Rinkside
I also noticed that when Yu-na was waving and bowing to the audience after her free skate that almost none of the Russians were clapping. Only the foreigners bothered to show some respect and applaud. It was also really bad manners to start chanting "Ru-sy-a!" while Yu-na was graciously waiting for her scores in the kiss and cry area.

agreed; it's great that countries have their chants and whatnot to cheer on their athletes when it's their turn, but to do it when other countries' athletes are on the ice or getting their scores is SO RUDE and utterly classless. it's really no different than booing another skater. cheer and make noise and chant for your athletes, fine, great. You can do that without being disrespectful to the other skaters. i really don't like Gracie Gold's skating at all, but the people laughing and cheering when she fell was just over the top nasty.

But the level of fairness and tact displayed by the audience was soooo different in Vancouver and most of the other host Olympic cities.

this, exactly.

Manitou

Medalist
It's hard to tell by only watching television, but my impression of the audience is very, very positive. I was in Vancouver in 2010 and I think the crowd was much more indifferent to the guest athletes and other non-Canadian fans than the Russians are to non-Russians. Russia is a very open culture where hospitality and natural curiosity to others is part of their very soul. It's North Americans who claim to be hospitable and open, but in reality are rather ignorant and indifferent.

If you look for hostility and disrespect I heard that the soccer World Cup in Korea was by far the worst. So just wait for four more years and we will see....

vinganca

Rinkside
It's North Americans who claim to be hospitable and open, but in reality are rather ignorant and indifferent.

hmm. criticising one specific audience for specific incidents of seemingly-rude behaviour vs. making sweeping generalisations about an entire two countries' worth of people.

Manitou

Medalist
hmm. criticising one specific audience for specific incidents of seemingly-rude behaviour vs. making sweeping generalisations about an entire two countries' worth of people.

By calling it "indifferent" and "ignorant" I meant everybody is sticking to his own business and doesn't care much about other cultures. It doesn't have to a bad thing, though. Just the way it is and it seems to be working. Completely opposite to Eastern European cultures.
And if you are accusing me of rude generalizations then what is this entire thread if not exactly that! I am only rebuking the thread author's point.

Mao88

Record Breaker
It's hard to tell by only watching television, but my impression of the audience is very, very positive. I was in Vancouver in 2010 and I think the crowd was much more indifferent to the guest athletes and other non-Canadian fans than the Russians are to non-Russians. Russia is a very open culture where hospitality and natural curiosity to others is part of their very soul. It's North Americans who claim to be hospitable and open, but in reality are rather ignorant and indifferent.

If you look for hostility and disrespect I heard that the soccer World Cup in Korea was by far the worst. So just wait for four more years and we will see....

Russian home crowds, American home crowds, British home crowds, Canadian home crowds, any home crowd - they are all the same. No difference whatsoever. And they all have the right to be patriotic.

Any campaign will only succeed if it is backed up by reasoned argument. What astonishes me is that these Yuna fans are not prepared to confine the discussion to the conspiracy thread and present hard evidence of corruption to back up what they are saying (they have found none). Instead, they open up multi-pseuds and open up multiple threads on the same topic to try and swamp the board. However, the most repulsive element of their activities are hate threads like this. They do not seem to realise that their xenophobic, racist, prejudiced, bigoted, and offensive remarks only serve to damage their cause, rather than promote it. Their comments show them up to be what they really are - extremists who will go to any lengths to get what they want right down to xenophobic abuse

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Do you speak/understand Russian?

The crowd was yelling, "Cпасибо!" -- which means THANK YOU :yay: -- according to what I read in another post.

usethis2

Medalist

I read in another post that the crowd was yelling, "Cпасибо!" -- which means THANK YOU! :yay:

You think that cancels out shouting "Rus..." during other skaters' gala performances..

To each own, I guess.

Artistry

On the Ice

I read in another post that the crowd was yelling, "Cпасибо!" -- which means THANK YOU! :yay:

I speak Russian and longlivethequeen is correct: they were yelling “Russia”, even during Gala!
Really embarrassing during the whole Olympics.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I speak Russian and longlivethequeen is correct: they were yelling “Russia”, even during Gala!

К сожалению.

ETA, not arguing with you, but this post from the Exhibitions thread was what I had read earlier -- thus what I had said in my previous post.

You missed it. They shouted "Spasibo!" which means "Thank you" in English.

Mao88

Record Breaker

Nonsense - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the home crowd shouting 'Russia'. You obviously have never watched a football (soccer) world cup when the home side are playing. The most prominent examples are Argentina 1978 and Mexico 1986. A relative of mine was in the crowd when Mexico played Belgium in 1986. The chants of Me-xi-co were absolutely deafening - his ears were ringing for hours after the match. Was he (a neutral) or the Belgian fans offended? Of course not! On the contrary - it all made for an absolutely marvelous atmosphere. In fact - fans from every country joined in the Mexican waves that the home fans created.

The most raucous crowds I have ever seen are at Ryder Cup matches. Now, those crowds really are fierce and partisan. But do the opposing away fans get upset and feel intimidated? Of course not - its that kind of fierce fan partisanship that is one of the main attractions of the event (creating an amazing atmosphere). And as an away supporter you always know that you are going to have to deal with it. If you feel upset about the Russian fans chanting for the home skaters, then you are somebody who simply would not be able to cope as a travelling away supporter at a Ryder Cup or football match

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I think what makes this particular crowd a "hockey crowd" is that there are few true FS-lovers in the building - it was the 1st go to FS for many people, I bet. Being in Sochi is veeery expensive. I wasn't there..

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I don't want Russian FS-lovers to be associated with rudeness and onther "good" qualities. Sorry:eek:: Having said all this, I agree that the biggets support was for the Russians. That's not good:(