Ashamed & Disgusted | Golden Skate

Ashamed & Disgusted

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Having read many posts on these boards over the past few day's since the Olympics started. I am ashamed & disgusted how some people feel the need to rip another skater apart in order to promote their favourite.
The Julia V Gracie rivalry on some threads are getting way out of hand.
Some people accusing the Russian audience of booing the non-Russian skaters or showing joy when they make errors is so two-faced it's untrue.
Anybody remember Salt Lake City ?.
There was no bias judging or audience bias there ?!!!!!!.
The "let's trash Julia to make Gracie look better" groups are getting scary.
REAL skating fan's watch skating to enjoy the beauty of this sport NOT to rip apart other skaters who have worked hard their entire life get to an Olympics.
No skater has a right to win because they come from a certain country or are beautiful or have won World titles in the past.
If you love a skater/s then support THEM don't trash others.
Show some respect for this sport & the people who love it.
Maybe then you would enjoy it more.
Okay angry rant over ;)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
agreed home boosting happens in host countries in Vancouver 2010 lets not forget the inflated marks of Vortue / Moir, Joannie Rochette and the notorious Dube / Wolfe, in Salt Lake Slutskaya was undermarked on the SP, Hughes got huge scores once Kwan was no longer a threat for the OGM

Barb

Record Breaker
Having read many posts on these boards over the past few day's since the Olympics started. I am ashamed & disgusted how some people feel the need to rip another skater apart in order to promote their favourite.
Some people accusing the Russian audience of booing the non-Russian skaters or showing joy when they make errors is so two-faced it's untrue.
REAL skating fan's watch skating to enjoy the beauty of this sport NOT to rip apart other skaters who have worked hard their entire life get to an Olympics.
No skater has a right to win because they come from a certain country or are beautiful or have won World titles in the past.
Okay angry rant over ;)

Like this sport show us respect, right? :laugh: I wAs so angry precisly because I feel like a lack of respect to us as fans those scores,my god they even alter the objective, it is like to say 2+2 are 7 and they wait we accept thid stupidity :no:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
IMO two things need to be mentioned - as @chapis said above - if the sport discipline, judging in it would show more balance and "respect" in fans eyes, the whole figure skating, watching it would be better and surely it would be less ridiculous threads/posts here...

Secondly - there is also an "attitude" presented by some of users of this forum. I do realise that there are some people who know less or more about FS, who have or not their favourites, who make or not some predictions etc. But most of them show respect, objectivity and pure enthusiasm about discipline in their posts - not kind of crazy fixation about some contenders or forcing their opinions in disgusting agressive manner litterally everywhere...For those - chill out and enjoy individuals

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist

Okay angry rant over ;)
:agree: Great post, and it was about time someone addressed this - so your angry rant is more than ok ;)
We should always remind ourselves that the skaters don't award themselves with the marks they get. We might disagree with those marks, but that doesn't change the fact that each skater deserves our respect.
It's unfortunate how the Internet is such an easy punching bag, and its anonymity tempts people to become aggressive and even mean towards skaters / other forum members if there are disagreements. Let's try to keep in mind how we'd behave if that person was actually in front of us and we had a real conversation.
I'll for sure try to keep that in mind more.

MsSweetie

Rinkside
Olympics bring out the best and worst in people. I just seems that there are a few too many drinking the spiked hater-ade this time around!

Puchi

On the Ice
I'm Ashamed & Disgusted at the scoring in the team event. The reactions of fellow fans are irrelevant to the results, which is what really matters. JMHO.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I actually thought the thread would be about the scoring in the team event too. :laugh:

I think wanting skaters to fail or blaming them for mistakes or jeering at their mistakes is absolutely appalling. Although some skating fans are just wretched foul people in general, as evidenced by their insults and flaming, so that's to be expected particularly around the Olympics.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I totally get that people get angry when the judges show bias or screw up but that's not the skaters fault.
But getting personal about skaters looks or hoping they retire or fall is just awful.
Why can't people just enjoy the actual skating rather than the results because let's face it after Salt Lake City judging at the Olympics lost all respect from most fan's.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
That's what I felt the need to post 1 month ago:
I just felt like I could do with a nice "happy feeling" moment and decided to treat myself with watching Akiko Suzuki's recent Nationals FS on youtube again. Yup, that makes me smile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVgLvbzDQsM
The mood I was hoping for didn't settle in because I unfortunately noticed the "like / dislike" count. Currently, it's 703 like and 697 dislike.
Not only did I not get my happy smile, I actually feel a lump in my throat now at the notion that fragile little Akiko might learn of that. :frown: (insert "I wanna throw up" smilie here)
I noticed over the past years of the Mao vs Yu-Na rivalry how there were (imo disgusting) people who made it their hobby / borderline full-time job to post youtube videos, not to show how great their idol is, but to smear the opponent. Say she's ugly, has no talent, is overrated, nobody likes her, she eats little children for breakfast (I haven't come across this one, but I'm sure there is somewhere), etc.
Really disgusting stuff.
It felt so wrong to me, and just plain alien to what "being a fan" means to me, that I couldn't really process this and kind of moved on to other things.

I'm aware that my notion of "being a fan" doesn't have to apply to everybody else.
I'm aware that some fans become really fanatic about supporting their idol.
I can - to a certain degree - understand the frustration of feeling one's idol not being recognized enough, like saying: "my idol has the best spins." It's another thing to say "look at his/her opponent's spin, it's so ugly and got too many points". I can understand saying this on a forum like this one.
But how does all that other stuff happen? The extreme stuff?

I don't even want to suspect or fingerpoint at any particular fanbase for now having found a new target in Akiko, but I guess having 700 dislikes for that performance doesn't come from 700 people disliking that performance, but rather them prefering another one in their own aggressive way.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I totally get that people get angry when the judges show bias or screw up but that's not the skaters fault.
But getting personal about skaters looks or hoping they retire or fall is just awful.
Why can't people just enjoy the actual skating rather than the results because let's face it after Salt Lake City judging at the Olympics lost all respect from most fan's.

We should just accept that those people are awful in general, and probably live the most bitter, wretched lives that they feel the need to disparage elite athletes. They probably need to get laid too. :laugh:

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
Sometimes I secretly wish a skater would fall even though I know that would cheapen my favourite's "victory". :slink: Figure skating brings out the snot in all of us. I just keep my opinions between me and my TV screen. ;) It's quite cathartic at times. But yeah....seriously hating an elite athlete who has nothing to do with the actual scoring nor anything to do with you is just a waste of energy. Yell at the TV, throw some popcorn and then get on with your life. Really, the best competitions are the ones where EVERYONE skates lights out. The endless protocal/edge debates feel pointless to me.

TonyaHardlyEver

Rinkside
Why would one not jeer when a rival opponent makes a mistake? It is a sport! Don't we do that in other sports? When the other team strikes out or hits a foul don't we cheer? What's the difference? I jeer when a skater I don't like falls or messes up. It's only natural. I'm not wishing them to get physically hurt but why would I want them to skate well? That's absurd. This aint no beauty pageant!

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Sometimes I secretly wish a skater would fall even though I know that would cheapen my favourite's "victory". :slink: Figure skating brings out the snot in all of us. I just keep my opinions between me and my TV screen. ;)

Same here! And if those skaters I secretly wanted to fall really fall, I feel quite guilty :laugh:

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
Same here! And if those skaters I secretly wanted to fall really fall, I feel quite guilty :laugh:

Oh my goodness, me too! I'm always like "I didn't meant it!" Competitions with too many falls are boring and have everyone questioning the judging even more. When everyone is clean it really all comes down to personal preference and I accept that about this sport.

I don't mind national biases or biases of any kind among fandom. Of course we are going to have our favourites and think they are the best. That's why we're their fans! Just play nice with the other fans.:biggrin:

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Oh my goodness, me too! I'm always like "I didn't meant it!" Competitions with too many falls are boring and have everyone questioning the judging even more. When everyone is clean it really all comes down to personal preference and I accept that about this sport.

I don't mind national biases or biases of any kind among fandom. Of course we are going to have our favourites and think they are the best. That's why we're their fans! Just play nice with the other fans.:biggrin:
Shame on you all ;)