The feelings/rant/etc. thread. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The feelings/rant/etc. thread.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Can I rant that there's apparently a giant pile of articles on whether it's insensitive to use Schindler's List?

Here, here! Also, it's being slammed for not being sorrowful enough. 1. It was choreographed by Ilia Averbukh, a Russian Jew, who I'm sure is super sensitive to the issue of the Holocaust. 2. It's figure skating. The program is somewhat thematic but not supposed to be completely thematic. Did they want her to be shot dead on the ice at the end? Or hit a position like a broken body on a pile? Geesh. It's not a Holocaust play or Schindler's List re-enactment; it's a figure skating long program to the music from Schindler's List. Yu Na isn't acting out the theme behind Send in the Clowns for her SP either!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Julia's interpretation is appropriate for the performance. She's evoking pathos but isn't getting too literal in her interpretation (i.e. V/T forming the cross at the end). Yu Na, similarly, is interpreting the music and not actually being a clown.

lavender

Record Breaker
It's been really bad that these people have me feeling for Ashley. I don't even like Ashley and I rooted for her in the short program. I clapped like I was in the audience for her. This Olympics has given me a weird feeling and I can't wait until it's over.

Figure Skating...it's been real.:rolleye:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's been really bad that these people have me feeling for Ashley. I don't even like Ashley and I rooted for her in the short program. I clapped like I was in the audience for her. This Olympics has given me a weird feeling and I can't wait until it's over.

Figure Skating...it's been real.:rolleye:

Same here. I totally feel you RE: Ashley. I'm not even an Ashley uber but I feel bad for all the vitriol she's been getting.

vegarin

On the Ice
No, her GOE did not double that fact that she did not had an edge call for her Lutz in the Short program is the defining moment and the fact that she performed her other jumps and spins with varying quality made the difference:

I'm sorry --- I don't buy it. It remains my opinion, and it hardly counts since I'm not a judge, but even visual comparisons were pretty clear. Gracie's GOE for the exact same 3Lz_3T combo that Julia landed? That was the most obvious one. Julia received about x4 times GOE that Gracie has. Gracie was much bigger and had more ice coverage. Even if you take the transitions into account, that's just odd. If you tell me the ice coverage and speed and the size of the jumps counts 1/4th as a little more flow that Julia got her on the exit, I would rest my case. On top of the issues of GOE -- that maybe somewhat acceptable toward Olympic inflation, but only if everyone else's were adjusted the same way, but it didn't. Everyone else's PCS, including Mao and Ashley's, went down while Julia's increased by 6-8 from the points that were scored mere two months ago.

I don't want to argue this point to death, so I will close with this: Julia skated fantastically, and very likely she probably would have won against Gracie and Osmond either way, but I don't think the scores were anywhere close to fair to other skaters. But I supposed that's just life.

Artistry

On the Ice
The “on-demand” streaming on NBColympics sucks!
They have a rather uninspired woman, a british man who is much better, but they both get cut-off mid sentence in the kiss and cry!
As soon as the marks come up, NBC online goes to the SAME commercial for BP sponsoring U.S. Olympics team.

It is soooo annoying!

The supposedly great coverage is now missing essential juicy parts that real fans of the sport appreciate: the preparation of skaters
getting onto the ice, the analysis of the marks and the reactions in the kiss and cry.

I really want to write and complain about this constant BP commercial cutting in between EVERY pair, but I can’t seem to find the contact/feedback on their site.

UUUUUgggh! Yet another figure-skating coverage fail. It seems that the U.S. is just intent on killing the sport through ignorance or by design.

millie

Medalist
There is a free app. SOCHI 2014....you can get all the videos and play by play coverage of the Olympics.

Artistry

On the Ice
Thanks, but I prefer to watch full screen, not on my phone ;-)
Time does heal though - I’m cooled off. I guess I’ll just find on-demand videos later on the site.

Matilda

Medalist
The “on-demand” streaming on NBColympics sucks!
They have a rather uninspired woman, a british man who is much better, but they both get cut-off mid sentence in the kiss and cry!
As soon as the marks come up, NBC online goes to the SAME commercial for BP sponsoring U.S. Olympics team.

It is soooo annoying!

The supposedly great coverage is now missing essential juicy parts that real fans of the sport appreciate: the preparation of skaters
getting onto the ice, the analysis of the marks and the reactions in the kiss and cry.

I really want to write and complain about this constant BP commercial cutting in between EVERY pair, but I can’t seem to find the contact/feedback on their site.

UUUUUgggh! Yet another figure-skating coverage fail. It seems that the U.S. is just intent on killing the sport through ignorance or by design.

I just replied to you on another thread re. how to get the stream with the actual NBCSN broadcast. Not too many ads on that stream either.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
2) Did anyone else notice the lack of enthusiasm with regards to the rest of the US figure skating team (the ones who weren't chosen to compete in team competition) on the Team's bronze? There were some well wishes, but muted, or none at all when the skaters have and continue to tweet alot. I wonder if that is awkward at all....I would think so.

Thanks for inventing this thread, Mrs. P. I hope that responding to "rants" ;) is permissible. (Or is the idea to allow a place for rants to be freely expressed without need for justification? :think:)

I did not notice any lack of enthusiasm for the team event from the Shibs, Zhang/Bartholomay, and Chock/Bates -- who did not compete, but who definitely were seen in the Team USA box cheering for those who did compete.
And I did not think the congratulations on social media from the non-medalists were muted.

I cannot imagine that the Shibutanis or Chock/Bates feel awkward at all about Davis/White skating both the team SD and FD.
Chock and Bates (each with a different partner at the time) used to train with D/W under Shpilband/Zoueva. Although the coaches split, my hunch is that the skaters remain friendly. And of course the Shibs still train w/ D/W. Alex, Evan, and Charlie used to be roommates together in Michigan. After they all were selected for the Sochi team, a flurry of happy tweets ensued among them (and their former fourth roomie) as they celebrated their accomplishment together.​

And I find it hard to believe that Zhang/Bartholomay feel any awkwardness. They seem so happy just to be at the Games, and it's not Castelli/Shnapir's fault that the number of substitutions per country was limited.

I'll post the rants I posted on my Facebook page:

Okay, I'm just going to say it because it's eating at me and just need to get it off my back. I'm really disappointed to see comments from the Asian American community on social media hoping that Ashley Wagner will "fail/fall/bite it" etc.

You can disagree with the selection process; you can say you don't care for Ashley Wagner. But hoping they fail? What good does that do? It doesn't help Mirai get on the team nor does it advance the cause of increasing diversity in figure skating.

FWIW, there are lots of developing Asian American skaters in U.S. Figure Skating; it's just that most people only know about the senior skater that got bumped.

Karen Chen got named to the junior worlds team despite WD from Nationals after finishing a dismal fifth in the SP (she was injured; cutting into training time). You know why? Because of her past record (winning both her junior grand prix events in the fall).

So the criteria of naming people to international events based on past record does not only apply to white people.

I'll be cheering for Ashley Wagner even if that means I will somehow be seen as not supporting my Asian American roots.

For context, it came from seeing some numerous Facebook posts from acquaintances, who have been painting Ashley being selected over Mirai as an issue of race. Those same acquaintances have posted posts accusing Ashley being entitled basically of the reaction of her SP sores. That generated a gang-up of "I hope she fails" comments from others Asian American. That lead to this rant:

I've also seen comments from some folks accusing Ashley as being "entitled" because of her reaction to her SP score at the team event.

Let me give you some facts: After 2011, when she basically had the worst U.S. nationals of her life, she made some drastic changes. She moved cross country to switch coaches to one of the best, John Nicks. But to do that meant living 3,000 miles from her family and working at a Lucky Jeans store to pay the bills until she started getting endorsements AFTER she started being successful on both the national/international level.

Does that sound entitled to you?

As to her reaction at the SP yesterday, that was a raw reaction after the scores came up. Did people really expect her to be like "Oh, that's okay, I'm just happy I am here!" No, she thought she did better than how she was scored.

As someone that has watched numerous kiss and cry moments in many years of watching skating, I can assure you that Ashley Wagner is NOT the only skater to express disgust/disappointment/etc. at scores. If you think Ashley Wagner is ungracious/entitled for her reaction to her scores, then you should apply that same label to a whole lot of other skaters.

Thanks for sharing your informative and well-reasoned "rants," Mrs. P.
Agree completely that support for Wagner's performances in Sochi does not mean indifference to Nagasu's omission from the team.

Eloise

Rinkside
1) Not happy with the judging. Plushy is an amazing skater and I was really impressed by his come back, but no way he should have been placed above Machida.
2) Not happy with the judging part II. I take it the Olympics are in russia and, yes Julia is a great skater and has a amzing talent, but she would have won even with more realistic scores.
3) There is no place for artistry anymore.
4) Carolina's SP was so beautiful it almost hurts.
5) Worried about ladies event...I am starting to think Julia will be on the podium no matter what kind of performances the other ladies will have. I do not have a problem with her winning if she deserves it, but if others skate lights out and are still passed over by Julia, then I just do not think it is fair.
6) Ashley I am sorry, I found her really wooden at the Team Event SP. Hopefully she will be less nervous for the individual event.
7) I am almost (but really almost) sorry for Adelina being pushed aside. I am pretty sure that even if she had skated one leg of the Team Event, Russia would have won anyway so why the Federation did not let her share the joy and the medal?
8) Quite sad to think that Julia already has a gold olympic medal in the team event and Caro may not even have a medal in Sochi :no:
9) So upsetting to see Mao fall on the 3A, fingers crossed she lands it when it counts the most.
10) Hope it is fair and clean at the Ladies and Men event. I feel the field has rarely been so deep and I am looking forward to some amazing performances (I hope!) :)

RobinA

On the Ice
My rants:

Alexei Mishin, having your skater stop skating mid-program to wave and blow kisses to the audience is not good choreography. Maybe it's a okay for a five year old little girl in Basic Skills competition, but it has no place in an Olympic program.

You can tell Mishin this, but he has made it this far without good choreography, so I'm thinking he's not going to care.

elle_e

On the Ice
I apologize in advance for the possible repeat in rants from the other lovely GS users
1. What is with the Russian Inflation? *tears* it's utterly ridiculous
2. Julia is fantastic but her face is so expressionless all the time. I wish she'd just smile :/
3. I really hope they tweak the team event; seeing the ice dancers in the reverse podium order to their placement made my blood boil
4. I want to slap everyone that tells me particular skaters are ugly =_= seriously?
5. I am so conflicted in who I want to see on the podium in ladies and men- my dream is for a Japanese podium sweep in men's but we all know that's not going to happen
6. I hope Jeremy does better in the individuals- I was so depressed by his team performance
7. In Australia, one of our main newspapers keeps posting out of date articles and it's driving me insane
8. Meryl and Charlie were over scored in the free dance, and it saddens me
9. I wanted to send Scott's FD costume through a wood chipper
10. I can't stand people who are new to figure skating and think they know everything about it (The Olympic Craze)
11. I love Ashley Wagner but sometimes I feel she skates like a brick
12. I appreciate the popularity the sport is getting due to the games but i actually prefer the exclusive bubble
13. I love Tessa...but Kaitlyn and Andrew are my preferred Canadian Team and the ones I will root for
14. Maxim Trankov's hair during the flower ceremony- it was weird seeing it like that
15. I agree with whoever said Elena Ilinykh was full of herself or something like that- I forget

Unrelated but: I am upset I didn't get to meet Mrs. P at nationals. There, I said it.

Phew end of rant ><

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
1) Not happy with the judging. Plushy is an amazing skater and I was really impressed by his come back, but no way he should have been placed above Machida.
2) Not happy with the judging part II. I take it the Olympics are in russia and, yes Julia is a great skater and has a amzing talent, but she would have won even with more realistic scores.
3) There is no place for artistry anymore.
4) Carolina's SP was so beautiful it almost hurts.
5) Worried about ladies event...I am starting to think Julia will be on the podium no matter what kind of performances the other ladies will have. I do not have a problem with her winning if she deserves it, but if others skate lights out and are still passed over by Julia, then I just do not think it is fair.
6) Ashley I am sorry, I found her really wooden at the Team Event SP. Hopefully she will be less nervous for the individual event.
7) I am almost (but really almost) sorry for Adelina being pushed aside. I am pretty sure that even if she had skated one leg of the Team Event, Russia would have won anyway so why the Federation did not let her share the joy and the medal?
8) Quite sad to think that Julia already has a gold olympic medal in the team event and Caro may not even have a medal in Sochi :no:
9) So upsetting to see Mao fall on the 3A, fingers crossed she lands it when it counts the most.
10) Hope it is fair and clean at the Ladies and Men event. I feel the field has rarely been so deep and I am looking forward to some amazing performances (I hope!) :)

I think your number 4 answers your number 3. Just sayin'...

;)

RobinA

On the Ice
Same here. I totally feel you RE: Ashley. I'm not even an Ashley uber but I feel bad for all the vitriol she's been getting.

Me three on this. I'm not an Ashley fan AT ALL, but all the flack she's taking I'm hoping she kicks butt.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... 4. I want to slap everyone that tells me particular skaters are ugly =_= seriously?

... Unrelated but: I am upset I didn't get to meet Mrs. P at nationals. There, I said it.

These two rants are worth repeating.

Hope that you have another chance to meet Mrs. P.

Eloise

Rinkside
I think my number 3 was poorly expressed...Clearly there are many artistic skaters who are capable of wonderful performances: Caro, Mao, Akiko, Yuna, even Yulia at times, just to name the most prominent artistic skaters of the last few years in my opinion. And I am expecting Radionova and Miyahara to unleash their artistry in their future as well as Gracie to polish her ability to tell a story. Perhaps It was badly phrased as my point is that artistry does not seem to have the same weight when it comes to judging and overall reputation. So yes there is a lot of artistry, but does it still count?

tokugawaice

Rinkside
reaaaaaaaaaaaaly reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly upset with not being able to watch the Olympics without a cable subscription!! I don't own a TV so there is no viable way to watch ANYTHING!!! not even highlights! jeez.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Unrelated but: I am upset I didn't get to meet Mrs. P at nationals. There, I said it.

Phew end of rant ><

Awwww.....that was sweet. I'm really sad I didn't get to meet you either! I really wanted to hear about your big trip and your thoughts on Ice Dance. I hope we do get to meet someday. If I ever make it to Australia, I'll try to give you a call.