The feelings/rant/etc. thread. | Page 11 | Golden Skate

The feelings/rant/etc. thread.

bonniesin

Rinkside
Mao won that free skate

I don't care what any corrupt Russian judge or tech caller has to say about it

jcykim

Rinkside
Im just waiting for Adelina's next event where her scores will come back down to earth LOL she was acting like a total b**** hugging refs, leaving the medalists interview early cuz of all the questions towards Yuna about the scores, jumping up and down the podium as if she deserved the gold medal lol classless and speechless

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We'll agree to disagree then, and Sotnikova's win in Sochi will remain controversial for years. If you can't admit that the Russians were overscored on PCS, received overly generous GOE, and got support from a lenient technical panel (which was stricter towards skaters from other countries), it's just sad.

Did I say the Russians weren't overscored? No, of course not. Of course they were. The exact same thing happens with Chan at Skate Canada, the exact same thing happens with the Americans at Skate America, the exact same thing happens with the Japanese at NHK, the exact same thing happens in France with the French skaters, and yes, the same thing happened with the Australians at Skate DownUnder! (I love all our Aussies but some of the scores were a wee bit higher than they probably ought to have been.) This is my point. EVERYBODY DOES IT. However, the only country that is ever really vilified for it is Russia. I would even say the Canadians are the worst at it.

I think the margin of victory was overly large. The victory itself remains legitimate. Yuna may be an excellent jumper, but she is inferior in other areas of her skating, and as well as that, the entire performance felt like she was being forced to skate. Adelina looked like she was having the time of her life. I have always responded to skaters in that way, and I probably always will.

RaylHaze

Rinkside
I would like to say that I'm disappointed with the scores and result

But i'm more sad that most of the skaters are retiring after this.

Adelina Sotnikova - Congrats, I'm actually one of her fan. I know she has potential but still needs alot to work with.

Carolina Kostner - Really deserves a medal after the past Olympic hardships, good job.

Yuna Kim - One of the best skaters. Very consistent and graceful. Great Job all these years. I wish she have won the gold medal again but I'm happy she had a great skate. Congrats!

Mao Asada. Was not fan until after 2010 Olympics. This girl is beyond amazing, and I hope it is true that she will compete one last time at worlds. Amazing FS, really 1st place finish in FS for me. It's really awesome how her FS layout is the riskiest and the highest Base Value.

sk8in

Match Penalty
First let me say that I'm no YuNa fan, love Russia, and actually like Sotnikova (especially her 2 axel) but I agree with karne about her catch foot, very very ugly (thanks CoP for rewarding such unattractive positions). And while I do get why she wears the gloves, I also find them distracting.

That Rondo Capriccioso's version was HORRENDOUS!! I can't believe our latest Olympic champion won, skating to that awful rendition.

Am I the only one who thinks that even if Sotnikova hadn't botched that 2 loop and Kim had a mistake, Kim should still win? Again, I'm not a Yu Na Kim's uber but Sotnikova just isn't in the same league to me, which is why I find the PCS for her (and Lipnitskaya as well) outrageous.

The blatant cheating on all aspects of the IJS to favour the Russians during those Games makes me sick.
Before this Olympics I was rooting AGAINST Yuna Kim. I was hoping Mao would come through with her triple axel, and demonstrate the perfect combination of technical skill an artistry. That or one of the American ladies---perhaps an upset by Polina Edmunds. Adelina was legitimately crude and awful in her performance. The way she leapt into her jumps with NO grace was a legitimate turn off. And she didn't even do hard jumps. If you can't land a mere triple loop with any semblance of grace, then you have no place on the podium at the Olympics---let alone wielding a gold medal.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tired of the over dramatics of the fans... but I've said that for the last umpteen years... it's crazy how personal people get towards one another and the amazing athletes who all DESERVE RESPECT.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Tired of the over dramatics of the fans... but I've said that for the last umpteen years... it's crazy how personal people get towards one another and the amazing athletes who all DESERVE RESPECT.

I feel you, Toni.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I feel you, Toni.

Thankfully the Iditarod starts next weekend (Jr. Iditarod is this weekend!), so I can just leave the insanity and get into something that's a little less "over the top". I mean, who can be mad when you get to watch a bunch of cuddly, energetic, fluffy huskies do what they were bred and born and love to do?

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
What I find embarrassing right now is that after Sochi, lots of fans want to have the same story with Yuna at Pyeongchang just for revenge. I feel that what happened in the ladies event is not something you want to happen again, with other winner. Comments like these are a little bit disrespectful to Yuna, who is a classy elegant champion who would never think like this.

rainbowice

Spectator

Thing is, human beings crave fairness. While a very athletic and dedicated skater deserves recognition, how Adelina could have received basically the same scores for PCS as Yuna Kim is really suspicious to anyone who is not legally blind. Fine, Adelina had one more jump in her program and just a minor misstep but how is it possible that her artistry is ranked to be on the level as Carolina Kostner and Yuna Kim? I mean, she wasn't even skating to music. So I think something is obviously not right and pretending she won on her own merits is contrary to common sense.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Multiple new accounts that come on just to repeat the same stuff over and over are also really draining... *sigh*

I knew I should've just stayed off GS till June :laugh:

figuristka

Medalist
The marking in the PCS is frustrating. Carol Lane suggested having a separate panel for the PCS than the TES. Overall it seems the scoring of TES was somewhat satisfatory though the GOE can be played with a bit by judges( for example i think Kostner had the better 3 Salchow). Its the PCS which leaves us puzzled. Some questionable calls in PCS occured.

Some examples in PCS Adelina SS 9.18 Carolina SS 9.14
"Definition of skating skills: Overall skating quality: edge control and flow over the ice surface demonstrated by a command of the skating vocabulary (edges, steps, turns, etc.), the clarity of technique and use of effortless power to accelerate and vary speed." Carolina demonstrated higher skating skills to me.

Adelina, Yuna, and Carolina all scored the same mark of 9.43 in PE . Def "Definition: Performance is the involvement of the skater/couple/teams physically, emotionally and intellectually as they translate the intent of the music and choreography. Execution is the quality of movement and precision in delivery. This includes harmony of movement in pairs, ice dancing and synchronized skating". Do Carolina and Yuna not translate the music and choreography better?

Now Ice Dance D/W IT 10.00 V/M 9.86 Interpretation/ Timing
Definition of Interpretation: "The personal and creative translation of the music to movement on ice".

Criteria:
Effortless movement in time to the music
Expression of the music's style, character, rhythm
Use of finesse* to reflect the nuances of the music
Relationship between the partners reflecting the character of the music (pairs, ice dancing and synchronized skating)
Appropriateness of music in ice dancing, short dance and free dance".Timing
Definition: The ability of the couple to skate strictly in time with the music and to reflect the rhythm patterns and prescribed beat values of the pattern dance".

Criteria:

Skating in time to the music
Skating on the strong beat
Skating the prescribed beat values for each step
Introductory steps (dance starting on the correct measure of the music)

V/M are stronger in IT than D/W imo.

The judges are not giving the really artistic skater's enough credit in some of their PCS.

Also the marking of Russian skater's in general was so much higher than previous competition's. We want for skaters for it to be fair. There are always articles for TES but what about PCS?

qwertyskates

Medalist
Multiple new accounts that come on just to repeat the same stuff over and over are also really draining... *sigh*

I knew I should've just stayed off GS till June :laugh:

Yes, I feel the site has been hijacked, the same swarming on most media, and a lot of the comments were so ignorant, eg. Sotnikova stumbled, Kim didn't, therefore Kim should have won, over and over...a few brave experts come forth to explain the complex math of COP, but mass audiences won't get it. Sadly, this sport has been more politicized and polarizing now. I always liked Kim, but now I think it is a good thing if she retires, even though I don't want her to and I want to see more of her, rooted for her in Vancouver over Mao, but... her crazed fans are really on a warpath directing their wrath at any challenge to Kim, silencing, drowning any opposition, nothing to do with figure skating itself, and that's not good for the sport. I don't think Kim wants to stir up controversy herself. She said she's had her OGM, and she is just happy to be skating her farewell, but as long as Kim is there, there will be this entourage de force.

I enjoyed this site because most of us posters may agree or disagree about skaters and competitions, Hanyu, Chan, Plushenko, Julia, Sot, Mao, and there's always a wide spectrum of posters, many with information and valuable knowledge. I learned so much from the breakdown and detailed analyses. There's restraint exercised as in normal social interaction, even by some of the Kim fans. Some of us will *always* be dissatisfied with one outcome or another, but we don't shove our opinion down the throats of those with whom we disagree, or drown out others'.

This...so many posters posting in hundreds, thousands of posts, to make sure that ONE voice is heard, ONE opinion prevails, this I haven't witnessed, being relatively new here. It must have been worse during Vancouver 2010 w Mao vs Kim. :laugh:

I'll stay away too, must be refuge thread somewhere else. World's starting soon.

qwertyskates

Medalist
This is more of a yay than a rant, but how well the Ladies SP and LP fared compared to the Men's!!:clap:

:bow:And I feel SO LUCKY to have witnessed THIS MAO ASADA...will never forget her! Etched into my FS memory forever...just the most beautiful skate I've seen since a long, long time!

In the end, I don't care about skaters' looks, I don't care all that much about "nice" character/behavior from them either, I expect that many of them will be full of themselves, divas, etc. Give a GREAT skate, surprise me, I'm HAPPY.

Also, though COP seems like a pain at times, I'm actually glad to see a clear breakdown so I can reassess my impressions of the skates. It is so very useful to the athletes, they get to see where they might have unknowingly made mistakes and losing points. Also, it should prepare them better for battle against their rivals, they must have a strategy, a plan, eg. Kim should have known she would need a 3loop, she might have won gold, but surprised she didn't, with COP, she, and other champion skaters would know and can decide if they want to go for the kill. It makes it more exciting, not less, for me, as it's almost intellectual in the approach to the sport.

nycskate2014

Rinkside
Olympics-related rants
Julia needs to smile! She's super serious all the time!
Evgeni, your kisses does not impress me.
Agreeing with most of you, stop the anonymous judging.
Jeremy, you need to go!
Yuna, why did you stay home? I want her all over the Olympic village and have fun.
Jason needs to cut his hair. However, it'll be like a Samson effect.
Tara, Sandra, and Sarah needs to stop gushing (ala Peggy) and wait until the Ladies event. It ain't over until it's over.
If there's an excessive amount of inflation/Plushflation during the Men's SP when it's not deserve, heads will roll.

Raves
I love Akiko's LP dress.
I love Carolina's SP dress.
Never change, Johnny! Never change!
Gracie is impressing me, each competition at a time.
Four years ago it was Yuna > Mao. Now it's Yuna = Mao. I love them equally. On the other hand, in 2010 it was Voir > Merlie. Now it's Merlie > Voir. Scott really turned me off.

Poor Yuna has to learn now to have the fun and to do smiles..she is serious...maybe she will have the love soon

nycskate2014

Rinkside
What I find embarrassing right now is that after Sochi, lots of fans want to have the same story with Yuna at Pyeongchang just for revenge. I feel that what happened in the ladies event is not something you want to happen again, with other winner. Comments like these are a little bit disrespectful to Yuna, who is a classy elegant champion who would never think like this.

I bet Yuna will light the Olympic Flame at the 2019 games at Korea

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I bet Yuna will light the Olympic Flame at the 2019 games at Korea
I believe Yuna is done skating. From her interview she pretty much said that she did not want to be there. She kept repeating how tired she was and how happy she felt that she did not have to train or compete anymore.