2014 Olympics Pairs Short Program | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Pairs Short Program

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Ziggy, I'd like to add to your excellent post, focusing specifically on S/S:

1. It shows that they felt this program would serve them better. Not to mention that technically, they learned a new program, since Pink Panther was not an SP and had to be redone. As for "cheap music", skaters should be encouraged to skate to a variety of styles and music, as S/S have done in their career, and not just Serious Classical Stuff. V/T's LP isn't exactly highbrow fare and the judges don't seem to mind it.

2. You judge skaters on the elements they do, not on the elements they hoped to include. S/S did a throw 3F and did it well, so that is what should be judged, not a hypothetical 3A. Remind me again what throw V/T are doing? Oh right, it's the easier throw 3R, since they couldn't handle a throw 3F. Both pairs did 3Ts yesterday and got the same scores for them, so this hardly demonstrates V/T's great superiority, but it does demonstrate that you don't know what you're talking about. It is true that V/T have a great twist and that in this one program S/S lost levels on the death spirals. Sometimes good skaters get lower levels.

3. That's an opinion, not a fact.

4. :rofl: Maxim skating around Tanya while she takes a break to set up for the second half in JCS is not great transitions. JCS is a program unworthy of skaters of V/T's caliber, it's badly constructed and doesn't showcase their ability well at all. The SP is good. But to suggest that S/S are doing less complex programs than V/T shows that you are either ignorant, have problems with your vision, are watching on a fuzzy stream, or are extremely biased in V/T's favor. Or all of the above.

You know what S/S lack? A major federation to watch their backs and ensure that they get 99% chance at gold and mistakes don't matter.

Word.

elif

Medalist
You know what S/S lack? A major federation to watch their backs and ensure that they get 99% chance at gold and mistakes don't matter.

We are talking about Savchenko/Szolkowy, right? :laugh: They were like Chan, before Shen/Zhao and Volosozhar/Trankov. They can fall three times but still got gold medal.

S

sms2000

This would be perfect in Dances. In pairs it's better to be close to clean ice (less scratches) but not the 1st in your group.
2nd spot is the best one.
4th means heavily scratched ice.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
S/S death spiral got level 2 because in the first revolution Szolkowy was not squatting low enough in a pivot. Very unusual for him considering he is usually perfect, but you can see that he is not low enough, then by the second revolution he gets all the way down which is why it seemed to get faster on the 2nd revolution. This mistakes cost them the level for the difficult entry and the extra revolution level.

David21

On the Ice
It is ridicolus people say S/S should be more close to V/T. It is fact, V/T should be more points in the lead. The reason obvious:

1: S/S went back to old program show clearly they can not handle their own artistic goal and must try to impress in cheaper funny music but judges note that in pcs.

2: S/S made big speech often to include triple axel and have best technical level. Where is triple axel now? Do they have great twist like Tatiana and Max? Triple salchow? Nothing of it but low level death spiral.

3: All quality of posture and basic skate skill are better with V/T, it is refinement in absolute manner.

4: Program of V/T is more complex and include much more transition for elements. Not only for Masquerade but also Jesus Superstar, both masterpiece skate.

99 percent result can only be gold for Tatiana and Max. Even if will be mistake on element it should not matter.

:laugh:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I won't quote it again, but Buttercup said it all. I did think V/T had the performance last night, but s/s's strengths should be undeniable.

Kinga

Medalist
I know that 'the party is over', the LP already took place, but I just watched taped SP and wanted to comment on.

As usual, more Russian inflation with S/K getting 33.75 points when at Euros they had 31.91.
Because they skated it much better?? Who said that PCS should be fixed the whole season long?

Yes, it should be really close between S/S and V/T no doubt. S/S are definitly better in TR and CH .
I think V/T SP choreo is actually very good. Miles better than any of their programs and definitely not worse than S/S.

I would have both teams very close. IMO V/T are the better technicians but their programs are kind of generic. S/S are more fun to watch. The German trio is more creative and innovative (though Pink Panther is by far not my favorite program).
The German trio was creative and innovative. They did not show creativity this season, IMO.

The scoring is once again absolutely ridiculous.
Tell me, how in the world did S/K get more than two points better than P/T, who had a far far superior program? On the other hand, P/T were massively lowballed (this was almost as bad as 2008 WC, where they got UR calls for no reason at all.). There triple toe was maybe a little under, and that element didn't deserve a very good score, but every single other element of theirs was far superior to S/K and comparable to S/S. P/T clearly had a far better overall program than S/K.

I do not understand why people pick so much on S/K score?? They improved immensely and had a squeeky clean, sassy program, with great elements and flow. I get it that P/T had a very nice skate, but based on elements quality, S/K were better. Sorry, SBS UR must be taken into account when judging two pairs that are very good. Additionally, the program itself is not shabby either. They deserved every single point for that SP. They have personality, they have command on ice, they have great elements. His posture at throw jumps is great! Something that other top male skaters could learn from...
If anything, it was B/L who were overscored. Again, big mistake on SBS must be a factor in such a strong field. Yes, their other elements were strong, but they were quite slow, their did not show any personality on ice. And it is not like James/Cipres or C/S have weak elements either. I would have placed them behind both French and Americans.

I have huge sentiment for MT/M. I adore their skating.