Is Lipnitskaya unbeatable? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Is Lipnitskaya unbeatable?

andyjo24

Medalist
At least Chan's SS are actually superior to others. Julia's SS is nowhere near Yu-na, Mao, Caro, and yet she still receives similar marks. :mad:

usethis2

Medalist
Everyone is getting a little worked up. We saw leniency and inflation in scoring in Vancouver, too. And while I have my questions about judging in this sport, the scores last week were for teams. I don't see them having any bearings on individuals' competitions. As for Julia's performance.. I'd say she seems to perform pretty consistently, in a similar way that Rachel Flatt was "reliable." Not to the same degree, though.

VirMo

On the Ice
C'mon guys so many people seem like figure skate rookies that are just excited by the Olympics and competition.. as much as Yulia's spins look great with her amazing flexibility, her jump qualities are no way close to Yuna's, and that's what CoP balances - judges do and should look at the elements differently from a layman's perspective. There are also other qualities to spins other than flexibility and positions. Yuna may not be the best spinner but she is a good one (although I do admit that she seems to be putting less and less focus on spins every season, but again, she might not have been giving her best in the B class competition and the nationals). Also at this point there is no interpretation in Yulia's skating - there is choreographer's interpretation of the song, but not Yulia's own interpretation of the choreography and the music. She is just doing her homework, reading through her prepared script. I do think Yulia is quite impressive, but I can see her getting better. If she survives growth and puberty well, I definitely see her as one of the top contenders in four years.

The only reason there is this discussion is that Yuna and Yulia have never competed against each other nor Yuna skated at the team event or at any major event this season, so people just don't know what will happen. It is also funny how until last Spring people thought Carolina as one of the contenders for a medal, and now completely ruled out, Mao as well.

Honestly I don't see Yulia's career going any further if she were to win gold this early before having achieved her best potential, because there is still room for her to achieve so much more. To me she just looks like a junior world champion. Junior.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The only reason there is this discussion is that Yuna and Yulia have never competed against each other nor Yuna skated at the team event or at any major event this season, so people just don't know what will happen. It is also funny how until last Spring people thought Carolina as one of the contenders for a medal, and now completely ruled out, Mao as well.

I'd have Caro as a contender for a medal if Julia wasn't within 2 points of her PCS and Adelina matches her PCS. Both these ladies get more points on the spins and can deliver a 6-7 triple LP. Caro's PCS doesn't even give her a one triple jump advantage, and if that's the case she is in big trouble.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I'd have Caro as a contender for a medal if Julia wasn't within 2 points of her PCS and Adelina matches her PCS. Both these ladies get more points on the spins and can deliver a 6-7 triple LP. Caro's PCS doesn't even give her a one triple jump advantage, and if that's the case she is in big trouble.

And there's the technical side, for the LP at Europeans, Julia's BV was 62 and Carolina 52(I increased it by 5 points when she actually ws at 47 for missing a couple of jumps). Carolina is 97% percent more likely to miss something than Julia. When all was said and and done Julia at 72 and Carolina at 52. Even if she hits everything and gets double the GOE on every element that Julia receives she'll still be behind her.

It's still probably going to be
Yuna
Mao
Julia
Carolina/Adelina/Gracie/Akiko
Ashley
Katelyn/Kanako/Li

FlattFan

Match Penalty
And there's the technical side, for the LP at Europeans, Julia's BV was 62 and Carolina 52(I increased it by 5 points when she actually ws at 47 for missing a couple of jumps). Carolina is 97% percent more likely to miss something than Julia. When all was said and and done Julia at 72 and Carolina at 52. Even if she hits everything and gets double the GOE on every element that Julia receives she'll still be behind her.

If she didn't double a few jumps, her base value would have gone up by 1.5 + 3.7 = 5.2. This is with 6 triples.
Consider that she skipped the 3 jump combo. That should add another 3 points.

If Kostner has 7 triples LP, her BV should be 59-60. Her GOE should blow everyone out of the water.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
If Kostner's planned base value is really only a 52, she has absolutely no chance, even with a clean skate. It is pretty clear by the scoring this year she isnt going to get PCS clear of the field this year, in fact atleast Kim will almost certainly get higher PCS than her. Her GOEs havent even been as high as Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia (considering spins) either.

I believe Carolina still plans to do 3F3T if she has a perfect landing on the 3F, then her BV would be much higher. That just didn't happen in a long time.

Krislite

Medalist
Can someone explain to me why Carolina only do 1 2A in her LP?

To do two double Axels and still keep her triple count the same she'd have to combine it with the solo 3Toe (or combine the solo 3Toe with the Flip). Carolina rarely attempts combos with back-end 3Toe these days. She could do both 3F+3T and 2A+3T in her LP if she wanted, but she's struggling to go clean enough as it is with her current layout.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
To do two double Axels and still keep her triple count the same she'd have to combine it with the solo 3Toe (or combine the solo 3Toe with the Flip). Carolina rarely attempts combos with back-end 3Toe these days. She could do both 3F+3T and 2A+3T in her LP if she wanted, but she's struggling to go clean enough as it is with her current layout.

I don't see her having any problem rotating a 2A-3T or a 3T3T in the LP. She's done 3T3T cleanly 4-5 times in a row in the SP.

treeloving

Medalist
I think actually her 2A - 3T is less risky than 3F3T.

But it would be best if she does both and then repeat her solo 3T with 3F or 3L right?

And thank you Krislite for explanation, I do not know why I have been misunderstood that 2A is allowed to be repeat without combo.

Krislite

Medalist
I think actually her 2A - 3T is less risky than 3F3T.

But it would be best if she does both and then repeat her solo 3T with 3F or 3L right?

And thank you Krislite for explanation, I do not know why I have been misunderstood that 2A is allowed to be repeat without combo.

I believe the 2Axel IS allowed to be repeated solo. But what I'm saying in order to keep her triple count the same (not replace a triple with the double Axel), she'll need to combine it with another triple.

Apoptosis

Rinkside
IF what you are saying is true, then figure skating would be just girls jumping and spinning on spot, no music, no choreography, no artistic judgment

Go and learn what this sport is about.

treeloving

Medalist
I believe the 2Axel IS allowed to be repeated solo. But what I'm saying in order to keep her triple count the same (not replace a triple with the double Axel), she'll need to combine it with another triple.

I see, because female is allowed maximum 7 jumping pass not 8 like men, thank.

Krislite

Medalist
I don't see her having any problem rotating a 2A-3T or a 3T3T in the LP. She's done 3T3T cleanly 4-5 times in a row in the SP.

Putting the 3T/3T into her LP would seem to require a bit of reworking the program. The current layout is:

3Lz
2A
3F/2T
3Lo
3T+2T
3S+2T+2Lo
3S

I suppose she could do:

3Lz
3T/3T
3F/2T
3Lo
2Axel
3S+2T+2Lo
3S

But the 3/3 requires a lot more setup time after the Lutz.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Putting the 3T/3T into her LP would seem to require a bit of reworking the program. The current layout is:

3Lz
2A
3F/2T
3Lo
3T+2T
3S+2T+2Lo
3S

I suppose she could do:

3Lz
3T/3T
3F/2T
3Lo
2Axel
3S+2T+2Lo
3S

But the 3/3 requires a lot more setup time after the Lutz.

Caro has become very cautious in her LP to attempt a +3T combination. When the 1st jump isn't perfect, she doesn't force the issue and does a 2T.
I think her planned layout (on a perfect day!) is:

3Lz
2A
3F+3T
3Lo
3T+2T
3S+2T+2Lo
3S

On a day when the 3F isn't landed perfectly, but where she's still feeling mighty strong, the alternative would be:

3Lz
2A
3F+2T
3Lo
3T+3T
3S+2T+2Lo
3S

But the Men's SP has showed us how given the Olympic pressure, a little less risk might be rewarding, so I don't think it will come to this - but when the 1st jump is totally clean, a +3T is easy for her, even late in the program - it's just even less likely that she'd have that totally clean landing on the 1st.