Is Lipnitskaya unbeatable? | Golden Skate

Is Lipnitskaya unbeatable?

Poodlepal

On the Ice
The way I see it, Julia has won the gold medal and there is no way anyone else can win.

Julia and Gracie did, IIRC, the same triples.
Julia was 12 points ahead of Gracie.
I am assuming that several of these points are coming from her signature spins, especially the one where she grabs her skate while it is straight up in the air.
Nobody else can physically do this. Most people's arms are shorter than their legs. In fact, by most, I mean 99% of the population. Even Yuna's arms are shorter than her legs.

Therefore, literally nobody can beat this girl. I would be shocked if anyone else can win, unless she melts down, and she doesn't appear prone to do that.

They may as well just give her the medal now.:laugh:

Nocturne

On the Ice
Well, it seems so, doesnt it?
She's being pushed as the #1 ladies skater of the games so far. I couldnt believe my eyes when i saw that 141.
It's simply ridicoulus how someones PCS can rise almost 10 points in one season with basically the same good performance each time...
I wouldnt be surprised if she bests her team scores in the individual again.

Manitou

Medalist
Kim and Asada skating cleanly will beat her for sure. If Asada does her planned program, both can make 2 mistakes over the 2 programs and possibly beat her. Adelina even might beat her skating cleanly, although I question that more than in past events as I get the impression Julia is being pushed as their #1 and politiked hard for here, so it will be harder for even a clean Adelina to beat her here than other events due to that. Kostner skating clean and inspired could maybe beat her, despite losing the short program to Julia in the Team Event. The long program tends to favor the more artistic skater though.

Sorry, I see it exactly opposite. It is Yulia who has to fall apart to lose. If she is clean only super-clean and super-spectacular Yuna can beat her. Asada - absolutely not.
Kostner - are you kidding???!! :laugh: Are you sure you know what you are saying???

s_parks

Record Breaker
Great, it's gotten to the point where Asada supposedly can't even beat her when clean(ridiculous) and Yuna has to be nothing short of brilliant to win. Well, when someone is scored 141, I guess this is what it comes to. :disapp:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Did people forget that Yuna Kim's PB is 148? That's 7 points clear of what Julia scored.

wallylutz

Medalist
Did people forget that Yuna Kim's PB is 148? That's 7 points clear of what Julia scored.

Did you forget the suitcases have changed hands already? Uh...I mean did you forget we are in Russia and Poutine is watching? ;)

flor87

Spectator
God I hope not. I thought this was figure skating. Not a contortionist competition!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
How is someone who scores 141 the favorite over someone who scores 149? Do you people think a clean Yuna is going to be 10 points below clean Yuna from last year? If Julia gets anywhere near the PCS for her jumps as Yuna it will be an absolute travesty.

Robeye

Final Flight
How is someone who scores 141 the favorite over someone who scores 149? Do you people think a clean Yuna is going to be 10 points below clean Yuna from last year? If Julia gets anywhere near the PCS for her jumps as Yuna it will be an absolute travesty.
You have a typo: GOE. But I completely agree.

ivy

On the Ice
Didn't Yuna's PB come at a time there was one more element in the LP? And she could do another 2A?

I think it will be close between Yuna and Julia, I think Mao is out of the equation unless she really steps up. Yuna is hurt by not doing the loop. Julia will have a higher base value, Yuna higher PCS, though maybe not by much. I think the story will be in the GoEs. Anywhere else then Russia I think Yuna would have the edge, with the way the Russian crowd is reacting, I think it gives the edge to Julia. Polite applause for Yuna, thunderous ovation for Julia - it has to effect the judges some. Especially with Yuna skating early in the SP

Barb

Record Breaker
Didn't Yuna's PB come at a time there was one more element in the LP? And she could do another 2A?

I think it will be close between Yuna and Julia, I think Mao is out of the equation unless she really steps up. Yuna is hurt by not doing the loop. Julia will have a higher base value, Yuna higher PCS, though maybe not by much. I think the story will be in the GoEs. Anywhere else then Russia I think Yuna would have the edge, with the way the Russian crowd is reacting, I think it gives the edge to Julia. Polite applause for Yuna, thunderous ovation for Julia - it has to effect the judges some. Especially with Yuna skating early in the SP
. :yes:

Robeye

Final Flight

Yuna's PB also came at a time when PCS levels were much, much lower than they are now. I would say it is generally a wash, as indicated by her scores in her two competitions this season. If you make reasonable adjustments (e.g. nationals bonus, the cost of mistakes), they indicate that Yuna is going to score around 225-230 for a clean competition.

Her 2013 Worlds performance tells a very similar story. Over 218 with a variety of mistakes/missed levels. Adjusted for cleanliness puts her around mid 220s. If her PCS in the SP is adjusted for current inflated practice, she's right back in the 225-230 range.

This year, Yuna is skating as the reigning World Champion as well as OGM. My own view is that skating early will not be quite as costly as last year.

Gad, it's amazing how numbers exhibit internal harmony, innit? ;)

vegarin

On the Ice
That's the last Olympics, right? Just last year, she scored ~148. I think this year's layout is the same as the last year, so an absolutely clean Yuna with a breathtaking performance has scored 148 under the current setup, and that's what's expected. (And with factoring change in mind, that was better than her ~150 from the 2010 Olympics, so she's gone up in points.) I'm not sure if Julia can improve her performance in individual, but if she goes against Yuna from Worlds 13 with the same performance at ~141, then Yuna will (or should) win.

That said, it's not guaranteed that Yuna can pull that off again, so that's a moot point, but still. A clean Yuna can beat Julia at the same level, easy. A clean Mao can definitely beat both Julia and even Yuna at her best. No matter of overscoring can possibly beat someone landing at least two 3As and executing every element without a clear mistake, no.

Robeye

Final Flight
That's the last Olympics, right? Just last year, she scored ~148. I think this year's layout is the same as the last year, so an absolutely clean Yuna with a breathtaking performance has scored 148 under the current setup, and that's what's expected. (And with factoring change in mind, that was better than her ~150 from the 2010 Olympics, so she's gone up in points.) I'm not sure if Julia can improve her performance in individual, but if she goes against Yuna from Worlds 13 with the same performance at ~141, then Yuna will (or should) win.

That said, it's not guaranteed that Yuna can pull that off again, so that's a moot point, but still. A clean Yuna can beat Julia at the same level, easy. A clean Mao can definitely beat both Julia and even Yuna at her best. No matter of overscoring can possibly beat someone landing at least two 3As and executing every element without a clear mistake, no.
Actually, the uber part of me is excited by the scoring inflation, but only if relative fairness is maintained. If so, then the turbocharging of GOE and PCS scores could see a clean Yuna (who skates at the level of last season's Worlds LP) break her own world records. ;)

CarneAsada

Medalist
Sorry but if you really think Julia will beat Yu Na on GOE when 70% of the GOE points are from jumps, no matter the crowd, you are smoking some strong stuff.
At the start of the season, we never thought Julia would be getting around 70 PCS, though...

andyjo24

Medalist
Lol. We're all assuming that Julia will be clean 100%. Although she has been clean over the recent competitions, we just don't know what will happen in the individuals. The only way to find out: to wait and see. Can't wait! :yay:

mariposa

Rinkside
As talented a jumper Julia is....and yes, her spins are unbelievable-I don't find it at all attractive and it's almost freakishly too much flexibility..sort of like Gumby, you can bend him/her anyway...I'm sure her marks reflect this "talent" but sorry, I find no beauty in her skating at all...I literally had to turn away because it looks like her leg was going to pop out of the socket...sorry folks, just my observation. Good luck to all the skaters!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Julia's PCS will rise at least 1 or 2 points next week in the LP. She will crack 70 in PCS for sure. Who is counting against this?
Her TES might be padded upward.

I can see her getting closer to 145 in the LP.

In the SP, I see her getting 74.

Kim's SP will not beat Julia's SP because her spins will not get the same level and same GOE. Steps will be a wash. Jumps? Julia's perfect lutz + perfect 3T will get +2 and +3 GOE. Kim has no advantage over her in GOE either.
I could see Kim's losing in the SP even because her spins are weaker.

If Kim makes 1 mistake, she will not beat a clean robot.

Kostner is already done. Her perfect SP with superior everything lost to traveling spins, tiny jumps, flutz, weak skills, heart drawing juniorish program.

Asada will not be able to rotate her jumps in time. I think Asada might even fall behind Kostner at this point.