Is Lipnitskaya unbeatable? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Is Lipnitskaya unbeatable?

sidneyke

Rinkside
Wow it's just a play on words. I LOVE all the skaters...especially Mao and Yuna. Julia has tons of room to grow. Stop hating. She packaged an explosive program that is full of technical skating at a furious pace. She does it while maintaining a somber character which is appropriate considering the FS and I would argue harder than it looks. She is smart to show her strengths and hide her weaknesses. Yes I see them. Of course she is not the limit. There are many other skaters with multiple attributes better than hers. That doesn't mean they have better programs or have positioned themselves to be on medal contention. How people tear apart and don't celebrate one of the best young skaters we have ever seen is so sad. Julia is NOT the best overall skater but she is one of the fiercest competitors ever. Look up what Kwan,Sato, Ashley and Gracie say about that. Add to it one of the best packaged skater's of the year but feel free to hate. That should progress the sport.

Agreed on all counts. Julia is a phenomenal talent. I never tire of watching her Schindler's List LP. It is the program of the year, imho.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm probably in the minority here and it seems impossible for some here to be impartial but I have a suggestion. There is one skater that I just flat out don't like and it's mostly due to off ice attitude. When she skates though I find myself hoping for her to skate her best and change my mind. From time time she actually does. I feel no need to say her name or show up to a thread and tear her apart but instead try to find things about her to like. This has worked amazingly for me and I've actually enjoyed the sport as a whole for it. It's called staying open minded.

Here again is my medal prediction just for fun

YUNA
JULIA
MAO

I think Sotnikova could challenge bronze or overtake Julia. Adelina seems to always beat Julia in Russia. Mao just looks beatable and it makes me sad now to say that:(. I don't think Caro could over take her though as Caro is just not technical enough in a field this deep.

So I guess it could be

Yuna
Adelina
Julia

If there are two Russians on the podium which wouldn't surprise me, no matter how deserved or well they skate, GS WILL BE UNBEARABLE for some time to come. Any accomplishment outside of Yuna and Mao is greeted with suspicion.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Kostner should have beaten Julia in the SP (although it was close) but better everything is indeed laughable. Kostner is by far the worst spinner of the top 12 or so. Julia is by far the best spinner in the World today. Yet I guess according to Flattfan, even Kostner's spins were better. :laugh:

Yes!! Except I think Julia win is BARELY justifiable due to the enormous pressure she faced. I'd have have called it a tie and given the nod to Julia....first Olympics and all. She is established now and that should be thrown out on the individual medal. If the both skate clean again I'd give a nod back to Caro for the sake of fairness.

I think the judging will be more fair in the individuals but I'm starting to think Julia can EARN a 210-215 and deserve it. Wow. Wouldn't have said that in November! She has gained so much momentum and she is poised to pounce on anything the top girls leave for the taking.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
You're not alone, sir. There're lots of Yuna haters on this forum. :p
Oh I happened have a same thought :laugh: Well, it's not a big deal anyway if you don't like anyone, just what it is, so simple :laugh:

There is one skater that I just flat out don't like and it's mostly due to off ice attitude.
But if it really is Yuna, what's wrong with her off ice attitude, OMG :rolleye:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
oh i happened have a same thought :laugh: Well, it's not a big deal anyway if you don't like anyone, just what it is, so simple :laugh:

But if it really is yuna, what's wrong with her off ice attitude, omg :rolleye:
i love yuna!!!

Seruleane

Final Flight
the julia hating is b/c of the way she was ridiculously overmarked. She was actually one of my favorites coming into the olympics, I was really hoping she would medal, but now that she is so obviously being touted as the favorite, I'm hoping one of the veterans will show her up. It's just a human reaction. I don't agree with the posters who call her skating juniorish though. She does have a beautiful program, and even though it isn't as mature or expressive as some of the older girls, I think 1.) that is part of her personality - she is very business like according to what I have heard 2.) finding her ability to emote authentically with the audience will come with time. I find it funny that more people find the overmarking of Julia more outrageous than the overmarking of Plushenko. Now that is a real travesty IMO. And I like Plushenko too. He's just way past his prime. And I would HATE to think his overmarking by the judges is what led to him staying for the singles.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did you see Julia's answer when asked about her best skate ever? She said"that was just my best score" :rofl::points:

She isn't judging and I think of she were she would have given herself a 110 lol when in fact it was a 130ish(up or down) skate. Now Gracie should have been 125 but that's another story. I thought when the judges took so long they were gonna ding her instead of inflate. Gracie can break 130 but that was a guarded skate. I would prefer clean aggressive Julia to a guarded anyone.

How many skaters are going to break 130? I'm thinking 5 could if they go clean:eek:

Oh yeah...to answer the thread.....YES!!
Edit: Maybe she is beatable by Yuna,Mao,Caro,Adelina,or Gracie....but other than that....unbeatable.

Eloise

Rinkside
i love yuna!!!

Is it Caro?!? It can’t be Caro she is lovely off ice!

Is it Mao?! Is it Ashley?!? Gracie? Can’t be Akiko because she seems to sweet.

You know that by making that comment you got everyone wondering! I think it was your intention to leave an air of mystery...;)

Anyway I think everyone is entitled to their opinions if they are expressed in a respectful manner.

I am not rooting for Julia to win, but as I said previously, I respect her and I think her mere presence and competitiveness have pushed other skaters (including my favourites) to their limits and to improve themselves. This is great for figure skating and I think she has contributed into deepening the field a lot.

Also, I feel that many people, although recognising Julia’s many talents, are just baffled by the score inflation. Julia does not mark herself though so I would never dream to consider her responsible for the marks she gets.

In any case I reserve my judgment for that night. I just hope that my favourite rise to the occasion, but I also would be disappointed if they were marked on their reputation and not on their performance at the games.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Did you see Julia's answer when asked about her best skate ever? She said"that was just my best score" :rofl::points:

She isn't judging and I think of she were she would have given herself a 110 lol when in fact it was a 130ish(up or down) skate. Now Gracie should have been 125 but that's another story. I thought when the judges took so long they were gonna ding her instead of inflate. Gracie can break 130 but that was a guarded skate. I would prefer clean aggressive Julia to a guarded anyone.

How many skaters are going to break 130? I'm thinking 5 could if they go clean:eek:

Oh yeah...to answer the thread.....YES!!

Gracie got 125 with a skate that had several small errors at last year's Worlds. This skate was tight, but definitely better than what she did at worlds. So 129 is about right.

Also she wasn't tight the whole time, just the first part.

I think she can break 130 if she is less tight.

Herald

Spectator
I'd say anybody who understands the scoring knows that Julia's TES is better.

I couldn't help but to disagree with you on this one. Just because judges ignored some obvious flaws (e.g. wrong edge and full blade take off with more than 1/2 pre rotation), it does not mean that it was her 'real' score.
(http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JBoLZP84F0o This is her SP video and those are quite easily noticeable at 4:25)
If judged correctly, it should have been an underrotated and according to the rule, underrrotated 3 lutz is 4.2(which is -1.8 point of 6.0 point you can check that on this site http://gofigureskating.com/skills/jumps/compete.html)

Now let us look at the SP protocols. The TES for Yulia was 39.39 and 35.92 for Caro. I am sure it is mandatory for judges to give minus GOEs it there is an 'e' mark according to the current rule. So wrong edged and underrotated 3lz gives yulia 39.39 + (-1.8) + (-1.4) = 36.19 to say the least. If we consider the possible minus GOE, the TES for two skaters are almost evenly matched. (and I'm not considering the other jump which is also being criticized A.K.A 2A with +0.64 GOE)

And as you know, this is why skaters work so hard to get their skills to be as accurate and precise as possible.
And If I'm not wrong, Carolina is one of the few skaters whose known for her jump qualities.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I couldn't help but to disagree with you on this one. Just because judges ignored some obvious flaws (e.g. wrong edge and full blade take off with more than 1/2 pre rotation), it does not mean that it was her 'real' score.
(http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JBoLZP84F0o This is her SP video and those are quite easily noticeable at 4:25)
If judged correctly, it should have been downgraded and according to the rule, downgraded 3 lutz is 4.2(which is -1.8 point of 6.0 point you can check that on this site http://gofigureskating.com/skills/jumps/compete.html)

Now let us look at the SP protocols. The TES for Yulia was 39.39 and 35.92 for Caro. I am sure it is mandatory for judges to give minus GOEs it there is an 'e' mark according to the current rule. So wrong edged and downgraded 3lz gives yulia 39.39 + (-1.8) + (-1.4) = 36.19 to say the least. If we consider the possible minus GOE, the TES for two skaters are almost evenly matched. (and I'm not considering the other jump which is also being criticized A.K.A 2A with +0.64 GOE)

That video is Russian nationals??? So I'm gonna give you an edge deduction. We should also ding Julia's Olympic score for the step out too?

Ill add one more thing...you say things like judged correctly yet fail to see the problem within the current judging system. The bullet points which they provide needed to satisfy positive GOE are flawed. Read them. Then notice it says meeting 2pts is +1 GOE and I think 4pts gets +2 or and so on. My point is this....after all that it then says "these are just suggested and a judge may use different criteria" or something to that affect. It's a loaded gun for a narrow mind. I think this is the elephant in the room that leads to these ridiculous fights about judges protocols. Can't we just say Caro was great but Julia barely scrapped by on home ice and move on.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Here again is my medal prediction just for fun

YUNA
JULIA
MAO

I have been a JuLip fan for four years now. She was freakishly mesmerizing even back then. And because of after decades of skating fandom and knowing "Don't go with the tiny pre-pubescent wunderkind" I didn't get my hopes up. But year by year her jumps got stronger, higher, as did her skating. I posted maybe here or on TSL at the beginning of the season that I predicted Julia for Olympic Gold. I so hope she pulls this one off. I was the only one on TSL who would dare say that she'd win and not Kim or Mao. Of course now I'm jinxing her, but heck, she has an OGM. She is that special. (IMO)

My prediction is: JuLip, Kim, Gold.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Her last spin traveled so much it should be 0 point. Hello, a bunch of girls got 0 for traveling spins before.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this is a better example of Julia's pre-rotation and wrong edge take off.
https://www.googledrive.com/host/0Bw6uDgBcIGwiLWVVX0FMeWQtc2M

My DVR slow motion looked different. I'm not 100% this isn't doctored. She is a flutzer though, we all know it but it seemed to be getting better. I want to see the NBC slow motion again. Better angle better quality and even Scott said it was clean when he saw it. Everyone pre rotates so I'm not concerned with that. Thing is her jumps are very visually pleasing to the crowd(judges too) and present clean flow. Hard to deny that. It's the Olympics and they tend to be more lenient here I think even in the past.

Herald

Spectator
Okay I understand what you mean but I brought that up just to remind you it is not so obvious to consider that the Yulia's TES is better than Caro's. i hope you understand my point too.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:thumbsup:

I've often asked what if you satisfy all bullets and get an edge call? Do they award +3 then the edge deduction or wash the +3 and only ding for edge call. All people ever give me are links to different rule books which all have loopholes. I just watch the girls and only focus on obvious mistakes. Being a judge is too taxing and very unclear.

Herald

Spectator
Like I said, if there is an edge call then judges are forced to give minus GOEs that is the current rule. I recall it wasn't mandatory several years ago. The change is quite recent if my memory serves right.