Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 83

Thread: Everyone is writing off Sotnikova and Asada

  1. #41
    Match Penalty
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,400

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilopa View Post
    I think, you're wrong. AFAIK, most of tickets to girls competitions have been bought up by Koreans and Japaneses.
    no qouta is placed, certain range and the rest if for Russian audience

  2. #42
    Tripping on the Podium ahy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    664
    Country: Hong Kong

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Actually in the ALL CLEAN scenario big IF. Mao Asada will come on top, because of difficulty and PCS. Do the math. 2 3A--2A-3T 3loop-2loo-2loop, 3S. 3F and 3loop. Big IF
    Yes, mao will win if she's clean, but the reality is she hasn't done a clean program of this layout yet...

  3. #43
    Match Penalty
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,206

    0 Not allowed!
    How did an Adelina thread turn into Yuna vs. Mao?

  4. #44
    “I solemnly swear I’m up to no good” Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17,581
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    How did an Adelina thread turn into Yuna vs. Mao?
    Every thread inevitably is a yuna is the greatest ever and why thread, at least it seems that way. I in fact had to sign a Yuna waiver before submitting this particular thread.

  5. #45
    Match Penalty
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,400

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Every thread inevitably is a yuna is the greatest ever and why thread, at least it seems that way. I in fact had to sign a Yuna waiver before submitting this particular thread.

  6. #46
    Match Penalty
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,144

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    It's hard to say. Like you said, she would never be totally clean. However, her LP is my favorite of anyone this years and she presents it with such flair that if she were clean she deserves to get the highest PCS in the field. That is a hard piece to bring life to and she does it beautifully.
    She might deserve it but she wouldnt get it. She has no momentum going for her right now. Sadly quality of program and the true level of performance to it is only a small part of what really determines PCS these days.

    Either way to medal in the hypothetical all clean competition that means beating both Russians on their home ice clean (if we assume she isnt going to beat either a clean Kim or clean Asada), and given that she skated cleanly in the short at Europeans and lost to both on non Russian ice, and with Sotnikova doing the same jumps (in the LP Sotnikova does harder jumps and has a much higher base value than Kostner) I just cant imagine it.

  7. #47
    Medalist minze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,322

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    She needs more than difficulty IMO. She has not yet skated with the power needed to match the powerful music of her LP. She is capable of it but Mao must skate freely and hit the jumps to win.
    Trust if she hits her first two jumps, the power will come.

  8. #48
    Medalist minze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,322

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    We've seen her do a clean skate back in 2010 and the judges just went "meh" and still gave a crappy Yuna 3 PCS higher. That said, a clean skate from Asada with only middling GOE today would have the ability to beat a clean Kim with her 2013 Worlds GOE and a 3 PCS advantage. She wouldn't have a PCS edge over Kim or Kostner but over the rest of the field? Definitely.


    I believe that was gmyers, but still. I'm glad Adelina finally did the 3 jump combination so one source of the "Adelina is the worst" posts is gone.
    Because that season the judges had already decided that they did not like Mao's programs and it showed at 2010 worlds. This season, they seem to like her programs

  9. #49
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,471

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni step View Post
    Exactly, she needs the wild abandon a Rachmaninoff piece demands. No thinking, just an outpour of emotion and drama on the ice. I also feel that without one the other won't come, if she's concentrating too much on landing the 3A or the 2A-3T then it won't happen, that's what happened to her in 2010, she was so focused on going clean no matter what that she didn't. Only this time, Yu-Na isn't the definitive beginning and end to the story, Mao has a say in what happens.
    I agree. But choreographically, the program doesn't give much room for freedom of movement. In comparison, "Swan Lake" was choreographed better, with a clear beginning, middle, and end.

    As for Adelina, I agree with TSL's analysis of her skating. She is getting more of a score boost than she deserves, and it is baffling because she hasn't even demonstrated the impressive consistency shown by Julia this season. Her programs aren't that good but at Euros, they gave her higher CH score than Caro!

  10. #50
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    41

    0 Not allowed!
    I like Adelina more than Julia. Julia has a junior-ish feel to her skating. I think it's because she's short and tiny (it's hard to skate with maturity when you have the face and figure of a little girl) whereas Adelina is more powerful. She's lost a lot of weight recently and it has elongated her lines.

    I really want Adelina to skate 2 clean skates and live up to her full potential. I think she can be on the podium and possibly even win.

  11. #51
    Match Penalty
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,206

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MUALover View Post
    has elongated her lines.
    Didn't her SP illusion spin look really nice and powerful?

    Quote Originally Posted by MUALover View Post
    I really want Adelina to skate 2 clean skates and live up to her full potential. I think she can be on the podium and possibly even win.
    I'm kind of hoping she takes the bronze.

  12. #52
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    41

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Didn't her SP illusion spin look really nice and powerful?



    I'm kind of hoping she takes the bronze.
    I'm hoping that Kim Yuna doesn't win with inflated PCS. Because I feel that her programs doesn't have the refinement and the details of her competitors. She doesn't look as sharp as she did in 2010 season or even 2013 season. I would be disappointed if she got her PCS with her name alone. Kim is lucky in that she has the ideal ballerina body - the long legs and arms and the small head. That plus her speed give her an edge in PCS. But I'm not feeling anything with her SP and LP this year however - they kind of look empty aside from the jumps.

    I just want the judging to be fair - but oh I like Adelina so much.

  13. #53
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,898

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MUALover View Post
    I just want the judging to be fair - but oh I like Adelina so much.
    I would love for Adelina to win but I think Yuna is too formidable at this point, and with any mistakes Adelina is likely to lose to Mao and Julia.

  14. #54
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    41

    0 Not allowed!
    Yeah. Adelina is inconsistent while Julia is so consistent. *sigh*

  15. #55
    Match Penalty
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,206

    0 Not allowed!
    I like Adelina a lot. She has an attractive "long" look to her skating, similar to Yuna. Gifted body type. Her jumps just go up and up and should really be given more of a scoring advantage over the ladies who have tiny jumps.

    What I like most about Adelina though are her spins (at least the well designed ones). Her spins are very powerful, there's kind of an elegant, still lady-like brute force to them. Her illusion spin in the Euro SP was just like "whoosh!" and really had a wow factor. Her long lines really help. I think flexibility is a bit overrated, so I like to see spins with style and flair. Adelina has that with her power; Yuna has it with her elegance and lyricism. Others have speed or the ability to accelerate or spin in opposite directions.

    I do think Adelina's choreography is a bit messed up at times. I remember liking her SP performance at Euros ... she has so much energy, but it kind of reminds me of a girl at a party who is just happy and dancing out of sync with the music. I'm undecided whether she is tone deaf and just has that unrestrained happy energy, or whether the choreography was just so busy and not timed right with the music. There were parts that were good ... but in all I felt everything was a bit of a mess.

    Quote Originally Posted by MUALover View Post
    I'm hoping that Kim Yuna doesn't win with inflated PCS.
    Yuna doesn't get inflated PCS or anymore than anyone else. She is clearly the best ladies skater, without peer. Ice is slippery and all, but if she performs well, she's a lovely skater and most deserving champion.

    I absolutely love her SP this year, but the LP does need work compared to previous efforts, and that 2nd dress was not even close to my favorite.

  16. #56
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,898

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    I'm undecided whether she is tone deaf and just has that unrestrained happy energy, or whether the choreography was just so busy and not timed right with the music. There were parts that were good ... but in all I felt everything was a bit of a mess.
    Tatiana tends to make these busy programs that are quite difficult but the moves don't add much to the interpretation. Adelina looks absolutely exhausted in the 2nd half of her LP where you can see her breathing heavily through her mouth.

  17. #57
    Match Penalty
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,206

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Tatiana tends to make these busy programs that are quite difficult but the moves don't add much to the interpretation. Adelina looks absolutely exhausted in the 2nd half of her LP where you can see her breathing heavily through her mouth.
    To be fair, sometimes the music calls for more choreography and I imagine that's harder to do. It's probably much easier to choreograph for slower music, and the more you add in the more likely the choreo will not have a unified finished look. Just a guess on my part.

  18. #58
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    41

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Tatiana tends to make these busy programs that are quite difficult but the moves don't add much to the interpretation. Adelina looks absolutely exhausted in the 2nd half of her LP where you can see her breathing heavily through her mouth.
    I liked the LP choreography. But the thing is, every time I watch Adelina do her program, I think, "this program would look better on Kim Yuna."

    I'm not liking what David Wilson has done for Kim this year's programs at all.

  19. #59
    Match Penalty
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,144

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MUALover View Post
    I'm hoping that Kim Yuna doesn't win with inflated PCS. Because I feel that her programs doesn't have the refinement and the details of her competitors. She doesn't look as sharp as she did in 2010 season or even 2013 season. I would be disappointed if she got her PCS with her name alone. Kim is lucky in that she has the ideal ballerina body - the long legs and arms and the small head. That plus her speed give her an edge in PCS. But I'm not feeling anything with her SP and LP this year however - they kind of look empty aside from the jumps.

    I just want the judging to be fair - but oh I like Adelina so much.
    The only controversy would be if Sotnikova were to beat Kim without Kim having major mistakes. The perception of 95% of skating fans would be that it only happened since it was in Russia. With Julia it would be even worse since a clean Sotnikova can atleast reach a higher level of skating than Julia can at this stage, but it would still create a huge mess. If Kim skates reasonably well and wins with the highest PCS and GOE meanwhile, nobody would complain.

    While on paper Sotnikova has many of the things to challenge Kim- big jumps, very strong spins, nice lines and artistry, her poorly choreographed programs which are mostly a sea of meaningless arm movements and gyrations of different parts of the body going at once that seemingly serve no purpose, warrant lower PCS than the very best PCS getters should be (and not just Kim), and the technique on major toe jumps is flawed and ugly. That is without even getting the miracle of what a clean competition would be for her, although I will give her credit for MAJORly improving her consistency and mental toughness this year to what it has been on the past, and cementing herself a real senior level contender for the first time ever as a result. Now she just needs to up it even more to the point she has Julia like consistency and can reel off totally clean program after another in competition (if that is even possible for her or hardly anyone not named Kim or Lipnitskaia), get a way better choreographer, and fix her lutz and a couple of her other jumps technique wise, and with the vets retiring after this year she could be the new dominant skater in the next quad.

  20. #60
    “I solemnly swear I’m up to no good” Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17,581
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan;
    If Kim skates reasonably well and wins with the highest PCS and GOE meanwhile, nobody would complain
    You do know that it is actually possible for Kim to not win right? A reasonably well "insert skater here" should never win the Olympics. Someone should skate their best to win. There are enough ladies with enough difficulty that if one were to skate lights out and YuNa skates resonable well, then why award YuNa the win? Do the judges have the courage? That's a whole other topic in itself.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •