Men's Free - Notes & Results | Golden Skate

Men's Free - Notes & Results

Rosaleen

Medalist
Here we go, my favourite event! For the 1st 2 flights, I'll post at the end of the flight. For the last 2, I'll try and post more often, but not sure if I can.

PLEASE NOTE: All of these worlds reports are copyright Golden Skate and are not to be copied & pasted to other internet message boards, web-sites or email lists. You are very welcome to link to the forums from other web-sites. Registration is required, but it’s free.

Group # 1

Neil Wilson GBR Start # 1
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Currently F 1 Overall 1
Concerto for Violin & Orchestra by Conus white at shoulders shading to blue at hem of pants
Starts right out with 3a fell out but not badly – one of his better efforts / 3z tilted – fell / 3f turns 3t / fly cam to back sit is very nice – good stretch great speed / music softens and we have some spread eagles and chor ending in ina with good stretch / 3l / 3s / flysit has great fly and very good spin / I just realized he either left out or I wasn’t looking but there was a 3a combo planned before the MITF / strt line steps are light & flows so well with music / 3t / music comes to a pause and he stops right in front of the judges / flycam is gorgeous and then into his combo spin that the crowd is clapping all the way through esp for the great layback / spirals into final pose / Not bad at all – it’s kind of funny – I first saw Neil at worlds in ’96 in Edmonton and it was his first worlds as well – the spins blew everyone away and he drew to skate first in the final free there as well. For 5 minutes he was 1st in the World <g>

Gregor Urbas SLO Start # 2
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 Currently F 1 Overall 1
Tango Fantasy White satin shirt under black vest & pants
Some nice chor to set the mood / 2z (was supposed to be 3z3t) / 3a 3t tiny bit wobbly between the 2 but clean / camel spin is nice & stretched / 3f bit wild on free leg and hand might have hit the ice / death drop has good fly & spin is ok / music softens to soft piano and some chor to match / 3a step out / spiral seq that had nice moves but needed more spirals to be a spiral seq / travel 3’s into 3l / 3z / combo spin – didn’t really see it – too close to near boards / strt steps go well with music / 3s / combo spin to end is very nice – centered with good pos / planned elements have a 2a right before the final combo spin but I didn’t see it. A good performance – he did a pretty good job of keeping up the tango feel although it was a fairly soft tango /

Tomas Verner CZE Start # 3
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 Currently F 1 Overall 2
Loreley, La Noche de mi Amor black with dark grey/silver on top
3a tilted hand down / music had started out quite heavy, now speeds & lightens up and the crowd is clapping / 3f3t / 3l squeeked it out clean / some playing to judges briefly / 3f is high and easy / death drop has good fly and fast low spin / music is now very soft piano and we have some very soft & flowing MITF and he builds speed as music builds into travel 3’s & some spirals & arabeques / 3f fell out hand down – cheat sheet even says flip but one of them must have been a lutz / 3s / combo spin and music really bjuilds and becomes somewhat sticatto and he’s down S footwork to it / upright scratch spin to end. Not his best but I think he’s fairly happy. Very good response from the crowd as some girls call out Tomas we love you and he blows them a kiss.

Yamato Tamura JPN Start # 4
Ordinals 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 4 4 Currently F 4 Overall 3
Space Battlecruiser Yamato soundtrack dark navy military with diagonal closing
Marching music and he’s moving towards the judges and around right to it / 4t big lean fell / 4t fell – that wasn’t the plan was supposed to be 3z3t / 3l landed on inside edge but toughed it out in a very small circle / 3s same as loop / very nice camel spin and the music has really softened & become melodic / 3a fell / This is his last worlds and he’s going for everything – not playing it safe at all. / 3f3t / flysit is excellent / 3z3t / and the music has built for his S footwrk / 3f / andother S footwrk / butterfly into flysit / combo spin to end / ok, I have got to stop looking at the cheat sheet and just watch the skating and call what I see. The cheat sheet just confuses me when someone deviates as much from the plan as he did <G>. Down to the end of the rink to collect boquets from his fans

Ivan Dinev BUL Start # 5
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Currently F 1 Overall 1
Kismet performed by Bond black with maroon sheen & blue – nicer than it sounds
4t maybe not entirely clean – too close to near boards / huge 3a with a bit of lean but no problem landing it at all / 3z lean – hand down / huge death drop with excellent spin / up til now there hasn’t been a lot of connection with music – its just very heavy music with kind of a monotonous sound / 3a2t / 3l / cam spin is nice & stretched / O ftwrk is fast & with music / music softens now and we have a full circule spread eagle – his rear sticks out too much for my liking / 3f might have been 2ft / 3s3t / flycam good fly nice spin into sit / quick truns out and a pause at the end for his strt ftwrk / lots of turns on his toes into a butterfly at centre – it was fun to watch but not enough edgework for my liking / excellent combo spin to end / He’s very happ with that and the crowd is cheering like mad. The Bulgarian team is just up to my right and Albina & Maxim are hold up the flag & whistling & cheering.

Kristoffer Berntsson SWE Start # 6
Ordinals 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 4 Currently F 3 Overall 4
The Time Machine by Badelt Black with white diag across chest & back & one sleeve
Music starts very soft and builds quickly and his movement matches / 3a very low in the knee on landing and put hand down / 3f3t didn’t see feet on landing of toe – to close to near boards / 3z / some nice chor into very fast flying cam with nice changes of body pos / music stops and starts again with very soft piano and we have some slow movement in front of the judges – I really like it – very musical / went up bad for a 3a and bailed after about 1-1/2 / MITF with twizzles / 3f wild on the free leg far end of rink couldn’t tell if 2ft or not / flysit is high with low sit / 3s / 3l / sit ch sit / strt ftwrk my kind – no stops just continuous movement / 3t / combo spin with some unique leg positions / Good skate, not perfect but good. The Swedish flags just behind me are being waved again and they’re actually kicking up a fair bit of breeze.

rpiche

Rinkside
The overall current rankings so far....

1 Ben FERREIRA CAN 15.0 9 14 3
2 Kevin VAN DER PERREN BEL 15.6 8 19 1
3 Ivan DINEV BUL 17.2 11 18 2
4 Gheorghe CHIPER ROM 17.4 6 15 6
5 Matthew SAVOIE USA 18.2 10 17 4
6 Sergei DAVYDOV BLR 18.2 9 16 5
7 Tomas VERNER CZE 24.2 13 20 7
8 Gregor URBAS SLO 24.8 8 21 9
9 Kristoffer BERNTSSON SWE 26.8 11 24 8
10 Yamato TAMURA JPN 29.0 12 22 11
11 Neil WILSON GBR 29.4 14 23 10

gellio

Rinkside
rpiche said:
The overall current rankings so far....

1 Ben FERREIRA CAN 15.0 9 14 3
2 Kevin VAN DER PERREN BEL 15.6 8 19 1
3 Ivan DINEV BUL 17.2 11 18 2
4 Gheorghe CHIPER ROM 17.4 6 15 6
5 Matthew SAVOIE USA 18.2 10 17 4
6 Sergei DAVYDOV BLR 18.2 9 16 5
7 Tomas VERNER CZE 24.2 13 20 7
8 Gregor URBAS SLO 24.8 8 21 9
9 Kristoffer BERNTSSON SWE 26.8 11 24 8
10 Yamato TAMURA JPN 29.0 12 22 11
11 Neil WILSON GBR 29.4 14 23 10

I think Kevin will pass up Ben. There is a lot of room between Kevin and Ivan for other skaters to fall into. It should only take a few more skaters to put Kevin (or should I say Justin) over Ben. Looks like Ivan won't pass up Ben though.

Wonder how Sandhu will do...He'll be struggling to keep 2 men for Canada - what does he have to place for that to happen?

Rosaleen

Medalist
Group # 2

Gheorghe Chiper ROM Start # 7
Ordinals 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 4 4 Currently F 2 Overall 1
The Groove Maker; Triangle: Saint Luce black with wrap top with red on one side & silver belt semi sheer billowey sleeves / music is accordian to start then picks up beat / 4t fell out / 3a landed really pitched forward on toe and really tight circle but no hands down / 3f landed low in knee 3t hopped out of it / some playing to the judges while the crowd claps / 3l hands down / some more chor / 3a hand down then foot 1t / flysit is short but nice pos / music picks up and he’s running towards judges and then into O ftwrk that is fast & flowey and goes very well with music possibly a bit simple but fun to watch / 3s / music slows again and more playing to judges / 3z / cam sit is slow but pos are nice / music picks upagain and the crowd is clapping / strt line steps into 3f / and combo spin and he’s done. Good response from crowd and the place is almost full except for the seats behind the judges blocked by cameras and the ISU VIP section on the side opposite the judges.

Matthew Savoie USA Start # 8
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 Currently F 2 Overall 3
Ragtime the Musical; Maple Leaf Rag dark grey vest & pants over light blue shirt
Soft piano and we have a forward scratch spin / I love this music / 3a2t very nice / and the music picks up and the crowd was clapping until it changed / 3z / and he’s playing to the crowd at the far end of the rink / strt ftwrk goes well with music and the crowd is really into it / 3s / butterfly back sit with great pos & speed & centered / realy soft music now and some nice chor to match with spiral that’s just great and other MITF / back shoot duck into great 3a / 3l / flycam with great stretch and nice layover / music is building now 3f foot kind of bent over and colapsed under him / music has crowd clapping 3t / and all that’s left is his combo spin cam semi sit back cam to super tuck sit to leg in front and the crowd is cheering – this audience is just dying to be blown away tonight – they’re so responsive. That was a really entertaining program and Matt really performed it. He always used to seem somewhat stiff to me, but not tonight.

Sergei Davydov BLR Start # 9
Ordinals 1 1 2 3 3 3 3 3 4 Currently F 3 Overall 4
One Man’s Dream by Yanni black with semi sheer blousey shirt with bits hanging off /
Music starts very dramatic and he’s moving prety much in one place to it / now he’s around for his 3a 3t – very nice / 3a fell out tilted in air / we’re at the 1:05 mark / flycam is nice good speed & stretch / 3z2t / music is soft & melodic and his strt ftwrk is very curvy & edgy and matches beautifully if maybe a bit simple / 3z – looked like it was going tilted in air but no problem landing it / 3l / combo spin includes layback – very nice – travel off & on but not much / 3s / S ftwrk again is flowey & edgy but seems a bit simple / 2a / travel 3’s into butterfly back sit with very fast spin / back scratch spin to end / There were parts of the program that I really enjoyed but as a whole I found it to be lacking something

Ben Ferreira CAN Start # 10
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 2 2 3 3 3 Currently F 2 Overall 1
The Untouchables dark grey vest & pants with light grey shirt
Some movement in place to set mood of errie music / 3a3t pencil straight in air – very nice / 4t thought he had it but step out / 3f bent a bit forward on landing but it was clean / excellent flysit / 3f3t / music softens and slows and we have chor / 3a bit tilted in air but perfectly clean / flycam with very good stretch / 3l squeeked it out with a bit of a quick turn forward on one foot / 2s – he’s doubled that one before / spread eagle spiral section / music bursts out and he’s into strt ftwrk lots of turns both ways and keeps up the flow / butterlfies into back sit / 3s – he wasn’t going to let that not get done / combo spin to end cam sit flyover to back sit to scratch / good reaction from crowd at the end – the music wasn’t the type to get the crowd involved during the program but he did his job – couldn’t have skated that program much better /

Kevin van der Perren BEL Start # 11
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 3 4 Currently F 1 Overall 2
Robin Hood dark green with lighter green shirt underneath
Some movement to music as it builds very quickly / 3a is very nice / supposed to be a 3a but just a very nice double / 3f3t / flysit is very nice / music is very soft now with the familiar melody and we have some very nice chor to it – makes you want to sway in your seat / 3s3t3l and the roof was just about blown off the building ! / 2a / big change in music and we have the O ftwrk and the crowd is clapping along and cheering – they really want him to skate well / sit ch sit has nice pos with arms behind back and good speed / once again the music softens he does a spiral / 3z landed with arm in front stretched out / flycam is very nice / and strt ftwrk the crowd cheers as he start it / combo spin at end with layback and sit into scratch and the cheering start when he hits the scratch and you can’t hear the music / Most of the crowd is on their feet and I’ll admit it – I’ve got tears in my eyes – for those of you that were there, this was emotionally as good as at Skate Canada. As they’re showing the replay, the crowd is cheering and they just showed him in the kiss ‘n cry and the cheers went up again.

Daisuke Takahashi JPN Start # 12
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 4 Currently F 1 Overall 1
Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini black with white diag across chest & back with music notes
Nice movement to start of music violin notes / right into 4t3t very nice great height / and around for a 3a 3t bit low landing on axel but perfectly clean / music now get into the bouncy theme and the crowd is clapping as he goes down for a 3z fellout lto a big groan from the crowd / lovely flycam with layover pos and really nice stretch / music stops and becomes very heavy and a another 3a pitched way forward on landing but don’t think he put his hand down / O ftwrk is just great with huge split jump near end and into a 3s / now into the soft familiar melodic part 3l / combo spin that I didn’t really see / beautiful spread eagle in almost full circle / 3f / fly back sit and pause at the boards into strt ftwrk to building music with stop in the middle that really is just a bit too much for me – very nice twizzles at end though / combo spin includes A / good reaction from the crowd but most of them are up and moving for the flood – loads of Japanese flags /

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
It drives me up the insane asylum that VDP's LP won't be televised here in the USA. Shame on you ABC!!!!!!

Kateri

On the Ice
We're getting such great performances tonight!
I think a few "yay"s are in order....

YAYYY!! for Dinev and Savoie for showing that they are better than group 2,

YAYYYY!!! for Van der Perren, for having the skate of his life! Wonderful! I just love it when someone's so happy they can't stop grinning, even way before the end of the programme, and the audience were cheering from a good 10 seconds before the end. *sniff* so moving....

And...I just worked out who Ben Ferreira reminds me of!
Bruce Campbell! Right, that's it - I demand an Evil Dead programme for next year.
...What do you mean the chainsaw-arm will throw him off balance?
He can hold the shotgun in his other hand, can't he??

it's shaping up to be a great competition!

kat.

Rosaleen

Medalist
Group # 3

Ilia Klimkin RUS Start # 13

Withdrew due to injured hamstring

Andrei Griazev RUS Start # 14
Ordinals 3 3 5 5 5 6 7 7 8 Currently F 6 Overall 2
Selection from Fellini Soundtracks Black with white/silver trim in shape of a jester’s costume
Plaintive familiar sax melody / 3a almost too huge 2t / 3a again landing not controlled enough to do 3t and did a 2t / 3z with a late turn out / 2f pick didn’t look right going in / music is now bouncy and crowd is clapping as he does a beautiful flycam to upright / into O ftwrk and crowd is clapping again and ½ way through the music changes and his footwork changes to match / 3s low landing again 3t tried to hold it – stayed on one foot but really tight turn out / moves to plaintive melody into 3l / upright spin intentionally slow looking up at ceiling / music becomes circusy and strt ftwrk matches well and crowd is clapping / music speeds up and so does he into 2s / and we have the combo spin with excellent pos into another combo spin that slows down as the music slows down / Loads of Russian flags as well as a couple of old soviet flags that have been waved every time a Russian/FSU skater is on the ice / Not quite the crowd reaction of Vander Perren or Dinev but pretty good reception.

Min Zhang CHN Start # 15
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 3 Currently F 1 Overall 1
Danse Macabre black with light maroon flowey ½ overshirt
Music is fairly heavy & slow and builds as he does his 3a3t that is just beautiful / music is now faster and 4s that if you didn’t have a cheat sheet you would have thought was a triple by the amount of time he had to land it / fly cam is very nice - good stretch / 4t fell / music ends and changes to very melodic and we have some expressive movement into intentionally slow ‘mini spin’ / 4t just lovely / death drop is huge with nice fast spin – maybe pos could be a bit lower / 3l / popped lutz bad pick / 3f / diag ftwrk is to music but very simple / 2s / combo spin travel on cam going in but then nice layback that was centered / oh yes, that kind of weird ending that takes about 8 seconds after you think the program has ended. Too bad about the mistakes on the lutz and sal near the end – kind of took a bit of the wind out the crowd

Kasey

Medalist
Gellio,

I doubt Plush will drop out of the top three...so Griazev only needs to hold on top the top ten, right? I think he can do it.

Kasey

rpiche

Rinkside
Kasey said:
Gellio,

I doubt Plush will drop out of the top three...so Griazev only needs to hold on top the top ten, right? I think he can do it.

Kasey

How are the spots determined? Each country gets one spot and then the rest is based on results?

gellio

Rinkside
Right now, it looks like Griazev will finish 12th, which means Plushy has to win in order for Russia to keep it's 3 spots. Even if Sandhu falters again, it is almost impossible that Griazev will finish above 12th. This will make the final flight very interesting. I'm betting on Plushy to win - but one fall could drop a spot for Russia.

gellio

Rinkside
rpiche said:
How are the spots determined? Each country gets one spot and then the rest is based on results?

If a country's top two skaters placements add up to 13 or less than they get three spots next year. With Griazev likely to finish 12th, that means Plushy has to win. I don't want Russia to lose a spot, but I don't want Plushy to win. It would be quite a coup if Russia were bumped down to two spots.

Kateri

On the Ice
Don't ever let anyone say Emanuel Sandhu doesn't fight for his programmes when it goes wrong!!

He was wonderful!

He fell horribly on the quad first thing, but really went for it - he was beautiful. Sheer magic.

He's certainly regained his pride in my book, even if the marks weren't that amazing - he's still moved up a few places, I think.

yay!!

k

gellio

Rinkside
rpiche said:
How about getting 2 spots?

I think if 1 skater is in the top 10 then the country gets 2 spots the next year. I'm not sure though. I used to be each country gets an additional spot for every skater that places top 10, up to a maximum of 3 - but they just changed that.

Sandhu appears to have done well, so it is impossible for Griazev to finish about 12th - unless one of the top 6 completely bombs!

Kasey

Medalist
gellio said:

Sandhu appears to have done well, so it is impossible for Griazev to finish about 12th - unless one of the top 6 completely bombs!

Not impossible! Ice IS slippery! (Not that I'm expecting it to happen).

I think if the scores of the countries skaters combine to equal more than 13, then it's three skaters.....less than 13 would be two. But not sure what the cutoff is, number wise, to where a country can only send one. 20 maybe?? Not sure.

Kasey

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Yet another mess up of the "interrim" system -- Dambier and Li are listed as tied in FS because of random throwing out of marks. Ties are fine for CoP, but tied in ordinals?!

Rosaleen

Medalist
Frederic Dambier FRA Start # 16
Ordinals 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 6 Currently F 2 Overall 2
Moulin Rouge Soundtrack Black with red down front & high collars
4s fell / music is tango right now but he’s just kind of skating around setting up the next jump / 4s2t / now at centre ice facing judges acting to music / 3a bit pitched forward and hung on to landing / 3a2t / sit ch sit is fast & low / didn’t see next jump but cheat sheet says 3l and crowd clapped so think ok / flysit has nice pos ending in really nice upright / music is slower and we have movement into 3z / 3s 3t kind of hopped out of toe / 3f / cam flyover back sit is nice but doesn’t really last long enough / skating around really fast just doing cross overs into series of spread eagles / strt ftwrk is pretty good and edgy with no stops / The French are blowing their horns & cheering – rest of crowd is giving fairly generous applause.

Chengjiang Li CHN Start # 17
Ordinals 1 1 1 2 3 4 4 5 5 Currently F 2 Overall 3
The Legend of the Glass Mountain Black with silver bands around his body, arm & leg
4t2t huge height on 4t / 4s with a fist pump / flycam is very nice good fly and nice stretched layover pos / 3a3t / the crowd is really getting behind him / there hasn’t been a lot of chor so far / 3z – his most hated jump and he has a hand down fall out / now we have some nice chor showing off the slowness and moodyness of the music / nice camel spin in here / 3a sat / 3l very tight on landing with a turnout / crowd claps a bit to encourage him / O ftwrk goes well with music and has some nice stuff in it / combo spin cam sit stretch pos to back sit – trouble on back but got it back // It’s almost after the 3z he lost his concentration / nice 3s / and I missed the next little bit / diag ftwrk is good and with music as it builds to the end / and he falls out of his deathdrop with a big oh no groan from the crowd.

Emanuel Sandhu CAN Start # 18
Ordinals 1 1 2 3 3 4 4 5 7 Currently F 2 Overall 2
Ninkov Latora / Slow & Sassy / Take California white top with fushia & black lattice work
Round he goes for the 4t fell – looked like he might have been short rot / 3a tilted in air but pulled it out 3t / 3l / now we get some chor – there had been none up to now / 3z might have been 2ft but at far end of rink / flyback sit to end this section of program / now into great chor to slow & sassy - my favourite part of the program / 3s / spread eagles and some more movement / around for the 2nd 3a going awfully slow but it was clean / upright spin with the neat positions into loop figure / spirals & other moves / music gets fast and the crowd is clapping / 3f paus 3t kind of stumbled out of the toe / strt ftwrk that is just fantastic (imo) / combo spin with cam sit A back cam sit to headless / illusion spin to end / Big cheers from the crowd – more than I would have expected basede on the performance but there is a load of Canadians spread out to my right and maybe that’s who I’m hearing / There seemed to me to be something a bit lackluster to the performance

By the way -- don't quite know how he got 2nd