Snowboarding | Golden Skate

Snowboarding

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada

Looks like the halfpipe bashed the Americans back - for the first time ever, no American won a medal in the men's halfpipe. Gold to Podladchikov of Switzerland, fifteen years old (!) Ayumu Hirano gets silver and fellow Japanese Hiraoka just edged Shawn White for the bronze.

The first run was incredibly underwhelming (save for the performance from Zhang, who is my new favourite halfpipe rider since the X Games) but the second run was a complete barn burner.

Actually somewhat shocked at how well White's second run scored.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Looks like the halfpipe bashed the Americans back - for the first time ever, no American won a medal in the men's halfpipe. Gold to Podladchikov of Switzerland, fifteen years old (!) Ayumu Hirano gets silver and fellow Japanese Hiraoka just edged Shawn White for the bronze.

Podladchikov is 25, not 15.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I thought the 15-yo kid should have won, but clearly I have no clue how Halfpipe is scored. Sure he didn't have that #yolo trick, he had 6 to IPod's 5, and was cleaner.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Really sad for Shaun White. It was his last Games, too.

On the Today show this morning (Wednesday), Shaun White left the door open to competing in 2018.

Matt Lauer had specifically asked White whether he was saying goodbye to competition.

In fact, it seemed to me that the major purpose of White's appearance on Today was to make clear -- in so many words -- that he is not retiring.

So I don't know why you think the Sochi Games are White's last. Had he pre-announced his retirement before his Sochi events??? :think:

(I too am sad that White did not medal in halfpipe after taking himself out of slopestyle.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Australia has a medal! Medal medal medal! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Torah!!!!!