2014 Olympics Pairs Free Skate | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Pairs Free Skate

That's really beautiful. What song is that from?

Ankles, I actually don't know what song the Cohen quote comes from. Someone wrote out just that passage for me and made a magnet out of it, so I keep it on the fridge where I can see it while I work on the computer. It says so much about the beauty of broken things. I don't even know the melody that goes with it. I can do some detective work on Google and track it further, or maybe on YouTube. But just that piece alone is enough of a feast for now, isn't it? And a good life philosophy, especially at a moment like this when we are tempted to turn away from people who don't make it to the top by achieving some sort of perfection. Life has a lot more texture than that.

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
Ankles, I actually don't know what song the Cohen quote comes from. Someone wrote out just that passage for me and made a magnet out of it, so I keep it on the fridge where I can see it while I work on the computer. It says so much about the beauty of broken things. I don't even know the melody that goes with it. I can do some detective work on Google and track it further, or maybe on YouTube. But just that piece alone is enough of a feast for now, isn't it? And a good life philosophy, especially at a moment like this when we are tempted to turn away from people who don't make it to the top by achieving some sort of perfection. Life has a lot more texture than that.

Google says the song is called 'Anthem' :)

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
Ingo Steuer doing an interview during the Men's SP on the livestream:

-It was a shock to have their (S/S) dream burst after only a few seconds leaving them not even a chance to fight for gold until the end of the program because the chance was gone after only the second element.

-They fought and that's what you want to see from athletes: Fight and not give in.

-Both were well, kept their calm, at the end of the program maybe the adrenaline lacked that was too high in the beginning.

-Aliona feels young enough to continue, Robin still needs to cope with/ process last night's competition. They're thinking about world's but need 1-2 days more to contemplate everything. He's hopeful they'll skate there, though because 'the performance last night, that wasn't us'

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
Ingo Steuer said in German Television some minutes ago, that they Need one or two days, to know what will happen again.
But Aljona and he think that they Need to go to Worlds as what they skated here is not what they can do, and with this they do not want to end. Robin Needs some more time to realize what happend yesterday.
Afterwards they will see, what will happen with the three.
Aljona feels Young and don´t want to stop Skating now. If with Robin or without will also be the decision from Robin himself as he is the one who must say if he wants to skate in the future or not.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, I really want S/S to go to Worlds and skate their fun and appealing SP with a little more practice with it under their belts, and skate the LP as they had earlier in the season. Love that LP! Want them to end the season with fantastic performances.

fridakalo

Rinkside
Nancy Armour's article in Usatoday, What a impolite act. really did Maxim and PUTIN invite this drumer? What a shock!
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/that-crazy-russian-drummer-at-figure-skating-is-kind-of-a-big-deal/

"Maxim Trankov said Taranda is a big supporter of the figure skaters, and he asked if they would mind if he’d come to the Sochi Olympics and, well, make a bit of a scene. In a good way, of course.

“We know that there’s a lot of German fans who come with drums,” Trankov said. “So we told him that he could come with a drum. He’s a very artistic person, he’s a very joyful person. He always sets the tone for our team, and we are thankful for him for organizing the audience in such a way.”

Becki

Medalist
Oh, I really want S/S to go to Worlds and skate their fun and appealing SP with a little more practice with it under their belts, and skate the LP as they had earlier in the season. Love that LP! Want them to end the season with fantastic performances.

Yeah I hope they go to Worlds, skate beautiful swan song(s). End on a high note :D

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
:rofl: coming from someone who said S/S would win OGM and Osmond would crush the russians
D/R lack S/S, no chemistry she skates like a stiffboard, and with their ugly lines they will never be a top skater, even S/K are better than them
I'd take MT/M are more promising than D/R

Moore-Towers & Moscovitch have shown that they can beat Duhamel & Radford. They finished as the top Canadian pair here, and were closely behind D&R at Nationals. Presumably both pairs will have a re-match at Worlds. Will be interesting to see if D&R continue. M-T&M sound like they are motivated to continue, so we'll see.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Moore-Towers & Moscovitch have shown that they can beat Duhamel & Radford. They finished as the top Canadian pair here, and were closely behind D&R at Nationals. Presumably both pairs will have a re-match at Worlds. Will be interesting to see if D&R continue. M-T&M sound like they are motivated to continue, so we'll see.

Radford is turning 30 so I dont think so
I think MT/M will go for another quad, Canada will need them
a they have no promising juniors

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Radford is turning 30 so I dont think so
I think MT/M will go for another quad, Canada will need them
a they have no promising juniors

True. I had thought Lawrence & Swiegers might start moving up the ranks, but they still seem to be struggling with consistency.

Moscovitch turns 30 later this year as well, but he's still in excellent physical shape and he and Kirsten seem motivated to keep going after finishing as the top Canadians here.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think the point someone was making is that only a minority of figure skaters compete in their 30's. Those that do are the exception to the rule. There's no way to know for sure which ones will do so. It depends on 1) physical conditioning & whether they remain injury-free in the years ahead, 2) psychological motivation and determination to continue for another cycle.

We'll find out at the end of this season which skaters plan to retire and which ones may want to stay longer. The decision is also more challenging for pairs & dance teams because unlike being a single skater, the decision involves a partner. If one person wants to continue and the other wants to move on, that can be an obstacle.

tulosai

Record Breaker
True. I had thought Lawrence & Swiegers might start moving up the ranks, but they still seem to be struggling with consistency.

Moscovitch turns 30 later this year as well, but he's still in excellent physical shape and he and Kirsten seem motivated to keep going after finishing as the top Canadians here.

Yeah, if MT/M can go a whole extra quad will probably depend on how Dylan holds up, but 33/34 is not totally over the hill for a male pairs skater by any stretch and she is still very young. I believe they will keep going unless something forces him to stop.

I also think D/R will keep going. She may be almost 30 but she doesn't strike me personally as ready to throw in the competitive towel.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
2018 will all about the new seniors/former junior Worlds kids

Sui/ Han, Stolbova/Klimov, Yu/Jin, Tarasova/Morozov
this will be the pairs to watch next quad

will74lsn

Rinkside
there was a time when top skaters hardy got PCS over 8. Now they are giving 10's like candies even to performances that clearly do not deserve it.:confused:

I'm sorry...this may have been covered on another page, but I was wondering if we know which pairs in this are likely to retire before 2018?