The arrival of Yuna Kim | Golden Skate

The arrival of Yuna Kim

GiveHer6.0's

Rinkside
Boy, this ladies' competition just got a little bit more interesting:popcorn:

Lipnitskaya has been the darling of the Sochi Games up till now, but it was in the absence of the reigning Olympic and World champion. The "Queen" as they say, arrives tomorrow. To make things more interesting, Yuna is in the same practice sessions as the two Russians. Correct me if Im wrong, but this will be the first time Julia and Yuna will be skating against each other. The judges will now be able to compare both skaters side-by-side during practices which will be very important. After her injury, Yuna has not looked the same. She was not 100% in Croatia and I am assuming was still not during Korean Nationals. Im interested to see her condition this week.

Get out the popcorn people, things are about to get bumpy

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Well...Yuna looks quite bored/exasperated/irritated/tired to be there. Not exactly the picture of enthusiasm and energy I was hoping to see.

Krislite

Medalist
Well...Yuna looks quite bored/exasperated/irritated/tired to be there. Not exactly the picture of enthusiasm and energy I was hoping to see.

?? She seems calm to me. She's never been the type to exude enthusiasm and energy in front of a press conference--you should have seen her deadpan announcement of her return to competitive skating in the summer of 2012 in a similar press conference. She read straight from a script.

She does seem tired, though. Surely from all the training in recent weeks.

zamboni step

Final Flight
This is going to be an interesting showdown. I have to admit both Julia and Yu-Na seem to possess an almost inhumane ability to hold their nerve. I have to admit if Mao or Akiko(not going to happen, I'm not delusional) don't win, I want Kim to win over Julia. I want a Senior lady who's gone through the highs and lows of a skating career to win. Not someone who just started. Plus I prefer Kim's high quality jumps and dynamic (when on) presentation, to Julia's breath taking spins and apathetic artistry (which is for once a good quality).

Ophelia

Record Breaker
?? She seems calm to me. She's never been the type to exude enthusiasm and energy in front of a press conference--you should have seen her deadpan announcement of her return to competitive skating in the summer of 2012 in a similar press conference. She read straight from a script.

She does seem tired, though. Surely from all the training in recent weeks.

Eh, she seemed "sleepy calm" and looked like she was zoning out whilst answering some of the questions. I hope she catches enough sleep on her flight over.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is going to be an interesting showdown. I have to admit both Julia and Yu-Na seem to possess an almost inhumane ability to hold their nerve. I have to admit if Mao or Akiko(not going to happen, I'm not delusional) don't win, I want Kim to win over Julia. I want a Senior lady who's gone through the highs and lows of a skating career to win. Not someone who just started. Plus I prefer Kim's high quality jumps and dynamic (when on) presentation, to Julia's breath taking spins and apathetic artistry (which is for once a good quality).

but remember Kim was there just 4 years ago:) besides Julia's bodyht pe probably means we won't see her again sadly.

zamboni step

Final Flight
but remember Kim was there just 4 years ago:) besides Julia's bodyht pe probably means we won't see her again sadly.

Kim had been a Senior for three years prior to that, she had struggled with back injury, lived in Mao's shadow, broken through that shadow and suffered the obvious sadness of after that breakthrough losing, yet again (at the time), to Mao on home-ice at the 2008 GPF. This was a woman who had matured and had her share of the Olympian's experience, Julia is a fighter and I have no doubt she'll struggle through whatever life hits her with. But I'm not ready to see her win an OGM yet, and I don't think she is either. I doubt her body change will get to her completely, just maybe reduce her 1Lz SP and 2Lz FS to 1 Lz FS. That's the only jump I see her struggling with other than axel, if she grows more.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Am I the only one getting a kind of Sphagetti Western standoff feel from the idea of Kim vs Julia? I can literally hear the theme from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in my head imagining both of them looking at each other with their trademark, cool, relaxed, unreadable facade.

Although Kim's relaxed expression seems more out of a natural ability to keep calm. Julia's is a little harsh and severe. Both make them look like bad***'s though.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^You're not the only one. Yuna's calm is more passive, internalized, and zen, while Julia's cool seems like that of a KGB agent staring you down.

cooper

Medalist
Here's a video clip of the press conference: http://news.ichannela.com/sports/3/05/20140212/60778837/1

(Note: the camera flashes fire off dozens of times a second.)

credit on inspiration @ ynk forum

On Yulia and the judging:

Yuna: FS sport is fundamentally founded upon judging system, and plus, there's no guarantee that a skater could skate her best on a given date. If I could happy with my performance (at Sochi), I will accept whatever the result. I heard about these Russian up-and-comers. For Yulia, it is her first Olympics and she has just debuted as senior. And the Olympics are taking place in Russia, so I hope she enjoys her experience as a good beginning of her career. Unlike her, I am in a different stage, my final competition. I'd not occupy my mind with the judging and other external factors that I cannot control, and I will focus on what I can and should do.

the usual diplomat yuna.. :)

zamboni step

Final Flight
^You're not the only one. Yuna's calm is more passive, internalized, and zen, while Julia's cool seems like that of a KGB agent staring you down.

:laugh: That comment may not be entirely appropriate but it made me laugh. I agree that Kim seems zen where as Julia seems a bit more....intensity, to put it nicely. To put it not so nicely this

vegarin

On the Ice
Yuna: FS sport is fundamentally founded upon judging system, and plus, there's no guarantee that a skater could skate her best on a given date. If I could happy with my performance (at Sochi), I will accept whatever the result. I heard about these Russian up-and-comers. For Yulia, it is her first Olympics and she has just debuted as senior. And the Olympics are taking place in Russia, so I hope she enjoys her experience as a good beginning of her career. Unlike her, I am in a different stage, my final competition. I'd not occupy my mind with the judging and other external factors that I cannot control, and I will focus on what I can and should do.

Aw. Now, I feel like an idiot for fussing over her and others and stupid judging. Rock on, Yuna! :)

s_parks

Record Breaker
While people are freaking out over julia(for good or bad), yuna really seems to not care so much.:laugh:

babyalligator

On the Ice

words befitting a queen

Amei

Record Breaker

words befitting a queen

Or words of someone that understands or believes there might already be a decision made on who gets the OGM regardless of what happens next week unless the pre-determined OGM winner really messes up.