Four More Years for Wagner | Golden Skate

Four More Years for Wagner

flying camel

Medalist
Did anyone hear about this? Ashley says she is excited to work with Raphael for four more years. I thought maybe she was going to retire. She will be 26. I just don't know if she can last another four years.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Did anyone hear about this? Ashley says she is excited to work with Raphael for four more years. I thought maybe she was going to retire. She will be 26. I just don't know if she can last another four years.

She never talked about retiring… I don't know if she will do 4 more years per say, but I think she will keep skating as long as she is successful.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
she'll stay until gracie starts beating her

there's only room for one mediocre blonde all-american ice princess

volk

Final Flight

She makes it her mission not to let Mirai on the team!:eek:hwell:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Mirai's future depends only on Mirai, and if she's willing to work consistently. It does not depend on others, including Ashley.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is pretty fantastic news for team USA. I firmly think she can win a Worlds medal (perhaps not this year), and I have a feeling her presence will ensure team USA always has a shot at 3 Worlds spots.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
hyperinflatation said:
there's only room for one mediocre blonde all-american ice princess

How good then that Ash is neither mediocre nor a typical ice princess.

I'm not really a fan of her skating, but I like her personality a lot! She's been cheering on every skater, even her rivals, in the Team event and at the same time she has the balls to openly disagree with her scores (obviously, when there is a foundation for it). Great woman, so it's great news if she wants to continue :)

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Not a Wagner fan, but all the power to her if she wants to skate. As long as she enjoys the training and the competition there really isn't any reasons to retire.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
There aren't a lot of pro opportunities anyway, so if she retired she'd probably have to find another line of work besides skating.

desertskates

Medalist
Maybe she's not happy that her Olympic dream was mired in negativity? I'm glad she'll stick around for the next 4, that'll only put her at age 26. I figured she'd at least stick around until Worlds in the US in '16. I wish her well.

Memelah711

Rinkside
As an Ashley fan, I hope she sticks around for another four years! I do wonder what Frank Carroll could do for her...

noskates

Record Breaker
Thank you posters for mitigating a pretty mean remark. I cannot understand why people come in here and totally trash a skater. Only Ashley (like Plushenko, Joubert, etc. etc.) knows when she should quit. If she wins Nationals next year it will be because she's worked hard and is better than her competitors.

As for Mirai - it's all been said. She has to work, want it, and skate clean - consistently!!!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think she'll last that long (or stay that long, regardless of what she may say now), but more power to her if she feels she has unfinished business. I think she still wants to stand on a world podium at some point. As remote a chance as it is, this may be her only shot at an (individual) Olympic medal so let's see what happens next week. She must be thankful for the team event since it got the "controversy monkey" off her back and that will help to alleviate some of the pressure.

I predict this will (finally) be the first international comp where she is beaten by Gold.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The thread title made me laugh, like she's been elected to be President for another 4 years.

I say good for her, but I hope she hasn't peaked. She needs to up her technical chops and stop 2 footing her jumps if she wants to stay competitive.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Ashley has about hit her peak as a skater. She will be 23 and i don't know how much better she can get. Gracie on the the other hand has still not come close to her potential and has Frank Carroll in her corner.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Ashley has about hit her peak as a skater. She will be 23 and i don't know how much better she can get. Gracie on the the other hand has still not come close to her peak and has Frank Carroll now in her corner.

Quite frankly we don't know that. Never take your skating career for granted.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to see Gracie try triple axels and quad toes. With huge height on her jumps and the fast speed on the ice, it shouldn't be too difficult for her.

Of course it's difficult. Why do you think no one but Mao is doing triple axels and besides Miki Ando no lady had done a quad jump? Besides i think Frank Carroll is going to work on things other then jumps.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I am all for her staying in for another 4 years. She is a very determined young woman, very headstrong, if she commits to 4 years, then she will work hard and continue to push herself.