Medaling at 1st trip to senior worlds | Golden Skate

Medaling at 1st trip to senior worlds

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I was so impressed with Johnny Weir performance. I bet if he had a quad he would've had a shot for the bronze.

I know that Plushenko won a bronze at his first Worlds. Who are are the others? Are there anybody else to medal at 1st WC?

Thanks for your input,

Yana

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Yagudin also won bronze (97) in his first trip to Worlds. Rudy Galindo did the same thing the year before (this, of course, doesn't include 89 and 90 when he competed with Kristi Yamaguchi in pairs - he only went to Worlds once in singles).

Tonya Harding (silver) and Nancy Kerrigan (bronze) won in their first trip as part of the US sweep in 91.

Julia Soldatova won bronze in Helsinki in 99 - her first (and so far, only) time at Worlds.

And then there's Oksana Baiul. She won gold at her first (and only) trip to Worlds in 93.

That's all I can think of for now.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Last edited:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Unfortunately, ABC choose not to show Lambiel, so I can't make any comparisons. I was thinking more of Stefan from Germany.

But hey, we got to see some stomping, wasn't that fun?? I could really do without the fluff special on poor S&Z.

How about 1/2 lb weight gain though??? What on earth? Doesn't ISU regulate national federations just a little bit?

I am still hoping that somebodyelseslife.com will make Lambiel's LP available.

Thanks for the info, hrmsk8ngnutt.

Yana

Vash01

Medalist
No. It was Tara's second worlds (and she was just 14!). The first time she made 2 mistakes in the SP and finished around 15th (I don't remember the exact placement).

Others winning medals at first appearance:

Bechke & Petrov- Pairs bronze (89 worlds)
Mishkutenok-Dmitriev- Pairs bronze (90 worlds)
Usova-Zhulin: ice dance silver (89 worlds)
Holly Cook: bronze (90 worlds)

Possibly Viktor Petrenko- mens bronze (88 worlds): I am not sure if this was his first appearance at worlds (he had already won the Olympic bronze at that time).

Vash

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Kasey said:
Didn't Lipinki also medal at her first senior worlds? (Gold?)

Kasey

...Tara finished somewhere near 15th on her first try at worlds.

I think Debi may have won at her first try (86)...but I could be wrong...

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Paul Martini was making those kinds of comments about 'the first worlds' on CBC and I think that's old-fashioned thinking. THere used to be a 'pay your dues' first thing in skating, especially with figures, but now I think a great little skater can come in and medal especially now that's there's champions series. Almost no one at World's is 'unheard of' anymore.

mike79

On the Ice
Krylova and Fedorov won a bronze at the 1993 Worlds in Prague with a great Cha-Cha program.