For Skater Jason Brown, a Disciplined Approach Yields Joy on Ice | Golden Skate

For Skater Jason Brown, a Disciplined Approach Yields Joy on Ice

auser

Record Breaker
Very interesting insight into the process behind creating and mastering the program. Thanks so much for sharing!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yes, this was a fascinating story, full of details. It made me exhausted for Jason just to read it! I was so happy to see such an in depth story that was all about the skating.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I saw this posted on another board; definitely fascinating stuff. Being a fan, it's easy to take so much of this for granted. You watch year after year, skaters appear on the scene, improve, rise among the ranks, develop their styles, come out with new programs every season, and it all just seems to happen by itself. It's easy to forget all the activity that's going on to make that happen, the insane amount of work, thought, creativity and dedication that you never see.

I wish there were more articles/television features discussing skaters in this way.

Becki

Medalist
On a side note - I would be so excited if Jason skates to Pearl Harbour's soundtrack - There You'll Be (I assume this is the one) next season! I think he'll do the music justice!!!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
On a side note - I would be so excited if Jason skates to Pearl Harbour's soundtrack - There You'll Be (I assume this is the one) next season! I think he'll do the music justice!!!

That song reminds me so much of my late grandfather that I already get wobbly and teary listening to it on a normal day. If Jason skates to it I'll be a blubbering mess.

That point where the judges criticised the program because it was too hard to distinguish where elements started and finished illustrates very well how tragic the level of judging in figure skating is. I mean seriously... :rolleye:

Thanks for separating this article out. I finally read it and just loved its detailed view of what it takes to put a topnotch program together. What a great team Jason, his choreographer, and his coach make!

sarahmistral

On the Ice
I haven't posted here in aaaages, but I have to express relief, after seeing Yuzuru Hanyu's short program and both Jason Brown's programs, that the new judging system, with all its element-by-element, piecemeal approach to assessing competitive skating, has not made it impossible to construct a flowing, seamless, magical skate, should the skater and coaching team have the desire, talent, and industry to do so. Jason's idea-driven approach to a program, having a meaning he's conveying, while training and taking care of the quality of technical elements, is inspiring to me as a baby opera singer-in-training, as there are clear parallels between a meaning behind the technical stuff in skating and characterization of a role to make the pretty sounds -which take plenty of work on their own - mean something and move the audience. Bravo gentlemen! A Hanyu-Brown-Takahashi podium would rock my world; let's see how things pan out. What an exciting competition!