2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate | Page 80 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
Thanks! Can't wait for the medalists!

Mmmh, will they show it? They are talking about ice hockey now? :rolleye:

Good question. Right now I still have hope since the stream is scheduled until 6pm

ETA: ARGH!
Well, at least we'll probably get pics of it on the sochi page.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Hanyu got the highest TES in both SP and LP here, with so many mistakes, a zero point Salchow. So far, he's won because he's the best technical skater. And the scary part is his PCS will go up so much after this season. Next year, Hanyu can fall 6 times and still beat everyone else.

2 quads, 8 triples (7 in the bonus, 2 triple axels, 2 triple lutzes)
Most other guys don't even come close in TES, and won't come close in the PCS now that he's the reigning Olympics champion. He will dominate the next 4 years, even with 6 falls.

moviechick

On the Ice
All my friends fell in love with Hanyu. They were calling him an angel and rooting for him after the short. They were also extremely put off by Chans fluff piece and his crazy mouth foaming at the end of his FS. Lol.

jaylee

Medalist
Javier's posture is terrible. Programs are always a bit childish. His SS is significantly weaker. It's ridiculous that Javier's PCS rose to the point where he made 2 mistakes and placed 3rd in the SP. Javier is the one that benefited greatly here and would be crazy if he actually won bronze.

And Hanyu's posture isn't? :laugh:

In regards to the bronze, Denis Ten fell in the SP and had a really bland, empty FS even though he ticked off the elements (likely due to his injury recovery), so I'd say Ten was generously marked as well.

Hanyu was sick at the 2013 Worlds and aside from all the mistakes (largely due to his illness) was inferior to usual in all aspects of his skating, probably due to his lack of energy and strength due to being sick. Much slower than usual, no energy, no projection, and smaller and lesser quality elements than usual even the ones that were well done. Fernandez had more mistakes but was easily beating Hanyu in GOE on their clean jumps which normally never happens. So you cant project what scores Hanyu would normally deserve based on that event. He was scored appropriately for what his injury induced performance level was there.

I get that he was sick, but there are some skaters who, even when injured or otherwise not in peak form, still project well and make a commitment to the performance, and still move the audience in spite of errors. Daisuke Takahashi being the #1 example. If Hanyu could land his quads while being sick at 2013 Worlds, why couldn't he project just a bit more? Because he chose to focus on the technical side, not the performance. It really was a lackluster, cold performance.

And I felt that in his Olympic FS as well, Hanyu focused on getting through his elements rather than the performance itself (but his program didn't really allow him to have many "moments" anyway). And that's what is disappointing for me.

Overall, I can't come up with a definitive argument for Hanyu or Patrick Chan deserving the gold, or for Ten or Javier deserving the bronze. That's a reflection of how terrible this competition was.

Kelly

On the Ice
entire post

Thanks very much for the interview. It would be ok for me, if the judges had given the OGM to Patrick with higher enough PCS, though I would be feeling sad for Yuzuru just like I am feeling sad for Patrick now.

jace93

On the Ice
Fernandez is undermarked since he is from a non skating power like Spain, instead of a big skating powerhouse with a strong federation like Canada, Kazaghstan, Japan, U.S, Russia. I watched his LP again and I still cant see how he lost the bronze considering how far ahead of Ten he was after the SP, and with 7 points higher PCS. How was his program so much worse technically than Ten to lose all those points. Sorry I dont see it at all. It seems the judges felt bad about robbing Ten of the 2013 World title so were determined to get him on that podium no matter what last night.

he also beat ten on goe, but he didn't have an high enough base value... too many doubled jumps:http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/owg14_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

andyjo24

Medalist
Fernandez is undermarked since he is from a non skating power like Spain, instead of a big skating powerhouse with a strong federation like Canada, Kazaghstan, Japan, U.S, Russia. I watched his LP again and I still cant see how he lost the bronze considering how far ahead of Ten he was after the SP, and with 7 points higher PCS. How was his program so much worse technically than Ten to lose all those points. Sorry I dont see it at all. It seems the judges felt bad about robbing Ten of the 2013 World title so were determined to get him on that podium no matter what last night.

Kazakhstan has a strong federation? :rolleye:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
(Sorry, didn't read the whole thread, even if I believe that this has already been discussed :slink: ) I can't understand why Jason's 3Lo received no value...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not that strong. Not as strong as say Canada (probably the strongest), Japan, U.S, or Russia. However by virtue of being an ex Soviet satellite, and thus strong Russian allie, stronger than Spain. Remember when Russia wants extra judges they send them to Belarus, Israeli, Kazaghstan, to judge, so those countries are owed some favors and help by Russia for that at times. How else to explain that hideous Israeli dance team who won a World medal in 2002.

Well, I admit that you've got me stumped on the dance team you mention.:laugh:

But, much as I respect your commentary in general, I have to disagree about Fernandez. I'm a fan, mind you, and even I thought that he was mightily held up in the SP. It looks to me as though the judges gave him every opportunity to medal if he had delivered better technical content.

channah

Rinkside
Hmm, been looking through the streaming schedules and can't find one yet for the Men's LP. If anyone can find a working one--especially the BBC one (I need my Robin Cousins' fix!), please post the link. Thank you!

Here's hoping all the men skate clean and let the chips fall where they may.

Hello Weak ankles

goATD.Net
the above link will take you to a live sports streaming site.
When figure skating is on Robin Cousins and Sue Barker do the commentary.
I watched the mens programme in Japan on my TV with my computer streaming the BBC commentary.
I know it is too late for the mens competiton, but I hope it is useful for you for the ladies and the Ice Dance competition.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Exhausted after yesterdays frustrating men's FS. Ouch, this long thread... for sure interesting things to read mixed with nonsense :laugh: Anyone up for a summary :) I'm happy to have a figure skating free day. Other sports to enjoy :thumbsup:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(Sorry, didn't read the whole thread, even if I believe that this has already been discussed :slink: ) I can't understand why Jason's 3Lo received no value...

Jason Brown opened up on that 2Axel, making it a single, and then executed a 2nd 2Axel right after it; basically he did 5 Axel jumps (2 triples, 2 doubles, and 1 single), resulting in an illegal 9 jumping passes when he was done. The men are only allowed 8 jumping passes, which is why the 3loop became a negated jumping pass and received no credit.

ginal

Rinkside
that's what I want to see

It is not like Yuzuru came out of nowhere and will retire now that he has the Olympic Gold. He isn't even World Champion, yet. A lot of people predicted four years ago, when he won the Junior World Title that he is a future World and Olympic Champion. So he did perform year after year, day after day. He deserves this as much as Chan would have deserved it.

Yuzuru will prove himself if he continues and continues to win. I do not consider him or other skaters with 2 year careers who win olympic gold to be great otherwise, a la Tara Lipinski or Sarah Hughes.

Not related but Javier Fernandez, what a hottie, but I do not like his programs, they do not seem to be his style, what's Orser thinking.

ginal

Rinkside
I would say he did far more damage to the sport than he did elevating. His slew of hugely controversial wins and winning so many events with so many falls and major errors will be a black mark on the sport for years to come. More than anything imparticular he did to elevate or change it. It is somewhat fitting that the Chan era is brought to a close with someone else winning the Olympics with two falls though. A poignant and ironic ending to this utterly forgettable period in mens skating history.

I agree somewhat, thought Daisuke should have won worlds that year, not Chan, but other skaters seem to go on and on about Patrick's edging so it seems he has something. Plus he does quad-triple, that's pretty impressive. I'm not a fan of Chan but I prefer the scoring that acknowledges in betweens etc, rather than simply rewarding jumps. Although it still makes me scratch my head how Plushenko gets any component marks.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Jason Brown opened up on that 2Axel, making it a single, and then executed a 2nd 2Axel right after it; basically he did 5 Axel jumps (2 triples, 2 doubles, and 1 single), resulting in an illegal 9 jumping passes when he was done. The men are only allowed 8 jumping passes, which is why the 3loop became a negated jumping pass and received no credit.
Oh, I hadn't realized it! :laugh: Thank you :bow:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
All my friends fell in love with Hanyu. They were calling him an angel and rooting for him after the short. They were also extremely put off by Chans fluff piece and his crazy mouth foaming at the end of his FS. Lol.

Part of the problem of skating and these threads we have people who judge more on cuteness of Hanyu or hotness of Javier -really folks isn't he jus the new Joubert who was the new Candelero. LOL We have too many Miss america princesses really no personlity or mugging for the cameras and sayign the right things love or hate them Plushy, Chan make it interesting. Not everyone is truly an American princess who spreads I want world peace and wish everyoen well - sure that is nice and we do hope for that but really...let's hear some truth.. do you really think Michelle was all that happy about Tara or Sarah's win? And is Mirai really not just disappointed about being left off the team Kovotun and Vornov said it was up to the Russian fed who went but really they had opinions but they just did the politcal kind thing. Where is Johnny Weir when you need him.

treeloving

Medalist
Is it possible if they change Zayak rule a bit as in case of Fernandez , they will not count 2s in combo instead? It just so frustrated to see he lose medal over something so silly. (Although many think he is over mark in sp already, but don't count 3 sal is too much compensation). And he seems to aware rule but this last solo counted as combo is just too hard to think in competition.

Edited : I means discount 1/2 loop ( as if it not follow by any jump - n this case 2 Sal -, it will be like transition move right?) , and 2 sal from combo so Lutz will be solo jump, then his solo sal while will be deducted in the end still give him a bit more point.