Lipnitskaya, Asada, and Kim: Who is most likely to get the gold? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya, Asada, and Kim: Who is most likely to get the gold?

speople

Spectator
Replace "Ross ee ya, Ross ee ya" with "Yoo li ya, Yoo li ya".

Gold isn't Kim's to win, it's Lipnitskaya's to lose, and in all honesty, if she skates as well as she did in the team competition, there is no way she will.

s_parks

Record Breaker
If Yuna skates relatively clean, I don't think Julia will win, Russian inflation or not. I mean, that's like scoring I/K over V/M or D/W.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Vladimir Lenin: A lie told often enough becomes the truth.

A lie is a still lie doesn't matter who told it and how many times and by what method. It may not have been found out today, but truth will always reveal itself; and those who took part, they will have to live with their own conscious and their reputation and integrity is tarnished forever.

COP is suppose to remove subjectivity from the sport. If Julia is not skating for Russia today but for Jamaica, if Olympics did not take place in Sochi, if the package was not Schindler's list, if she is not a fair child with blonde hair blue eyes that has youth on her side with probably the most partisan audience in the world, will she be earn these astronomical home PCS inflation that took the veterans years of blood sweat and tears to earn them? Should an Olympic medal be earned this way? If Sochi is to have taken place 2 years ago, it will have been Liza instead of Julia (who has far better jumps) will the whole thing still happen?

The Olympic Charter state respect, fairplay, dedication, true universality are to be followed on the moral philosophy called 'world ethos'. It is anti discrimination, corruption, or manipulation of any kind which would be the most serious infringement of the Olympic spirit. I hope this sport will abide to these ethical principles, be responsible and continue to celebrate these universal values. For it to be part of the Olympic movement, the sport must be politically neutral even if inside the arena, many of the audiences aren't.

It is one thing how general audience may feel moved seeing Schindler's list on ice from a laymen's view, but one would expect an educated, experienced, credible and knowledge judging panel should able to separate hype/sensationalism versus what is actually being delivered on ice ON THE DAY. With no agendas or biases and treat ALL skaters with equal fairness. This lady's event will be the final event to test the credibility of COP to see whether it can fulfill its stated purpose. Whether as a human race, we just can't resist tell lies under any judging system doesn't matter how preventative it is as long there are little accountability or transparency.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
If Yuna skates relatively clean, I don't think Julia will win, Russian inflation or not. I mean, that's like scoring I/K over V/M or D/W.

THIS!

But I hope people can recognize that there can be multiple winners, and at the end of Thursday, when all dust settles, we have just that. If Julia can give 2 clean performances at the Olympics, before the home crowd as an inexperienced, 15-year old, that should be honored as a tremendous accomplishment, regardless of the color of the medal. If Mao can nail her triple axels at the grandest and final competition of her career, that should be recognized again as a great Olympic triumph, regardless of the color of the medal. If Ashley can give two great performances to redeem herself, that would also be a great triumph. I sincerely hope to see many winners when this competition is over. Let the greatest event at these Olympics begin!!

vegarin

On the Ice
Gold isn't Kim's to win, it's Lipnitskaya's to lose, and in all honesty, if she skates as well as she did in the team competition, there is no way she will.

:rolleye: And seriously, people make it sound like only Yuna and Mao have fanatics.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
THIS!

But I hope people can recognize that there can be multiple winners, and at the end of Thursday, when all dust settles, we have just that. If Julia can give 2 clean performances at the Olympics, before the home crowd as an inexperienced, 15-year old, that should be honored as a tremendous accomplishment, regardless of the color of the medal. If Mao can nail her triple axels at the grandest and final competition of her career, that should be recognized again as a great Olympic triumph, regardless of the color of the medal. If Ashley can give two great performances to redeem herself, that would also be a great triumph. I sincerely hope to see many winners when this competition is over. Let the greatest event at these Olympics begin!!

I'm so glad people feel this way. So much cynicism and character assassination going on. Nice that you can see it for what it really is. I think Yuna has possessed you and helped you to see thru her eyes. She says it's not the result that counts but the skate. Results come with good skates. I say that is how champions think and speak!!

Andre Smith

Match Penalty
THIS!

What about Yu-Na? What achievement could be her triumph?

miki88

Medalist
I think Mao only did the 3-3 before they started scrutinizing jumps so closely. I'm sure she would have tried to add that jump if she could. I still think she should give up on the triple-axel, at least in the long program. Whatever 1 or 2 points she might be able to eke out on a botched jump will probably be lost in PCS. She should do the double axel-3T and a triple on all of the other jumping passes. With a clean 7 triple program, she could challenge Yu Na in the long and hope she makes a mistake somewhere to lose any advantage in the short.

She attempted not one but two during the 2007-2008 season (arguably the season when they scrutinized jumps the most and URs were far more costly at the time). Anyways, she is planning a 3-3 in the LP in Sochi.

As for PCS, Mao's hasn't really changed much from last season, so I don't see the logic of judges suddenly dropping their favor for her. Mao, Carolina, Akiko's have relatively remained the same in their PCS levels. It's just that they increased the PCS of the Russian girls by a LOT in the last few months.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if Yuna would crush a clean Julia. At Worlds last year, Yuna scored around 69 in the short and 148 in the long. Didn't Julia get something like 71 in the short and 141 in the long? That would put Yuna ahead, but not by a "crushing" margin. And for those who say Yuna was underscored in the short at Worlds, I'm sure an equal number would say she was overscored in the long.

amc987

On the Ice
Kim > Lipnitskaya > Asada. I think clean Asada beats clean Lipnitskaya but unfortunately I think Putin will start officiating gay marriages before Asada lands all the jumps she has planned.

Krislite

Medalist
I don't know if Yuna would crush a clean Julia. At Worlds last year, Yuna scored around 69 in the short and 148 in the long. Didn't Julia get something like 71 in the short and 141 in the long? That would put Yuna ahead, but not by a "crushing" margin. And for those who say Yuna was underscored in the short at Worlds, I'm sure an equal number would say she was overscored in the long.

Can we just wait? Thank god we'll find out soon enough and stop all this silly speculation. :)

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^I'm looking forwards to the SP and LP happening so all of the speculation (some delusional) can just end.

Robeye

Final Flight
IMO, this is disingenuous and not logically sound.

-Under the WC13 standards of judging, Julia would have gotten edge calls on her lutzes (and would have deserved them more than Yuna on her SP flip), dramatically lower GOEs on jumps, and hugely lower PCS. She would have been lucky to score 65 and 135, and would have been crushed by Yuna by a margin of 15-20 points. Minimum.

chloepoco

Medalist
Vladimir Lenin: A lie told often enough becomes the truth.

A lie is a still lie doesn't matter who told it and how many times and by what method. It may not have been found out today, but truth will always reveal itself; and those who took part, they will have to live with their own conscious and their reputation and integrity is tarnished forever.

COP is suppose to remove subjectivity from the sport. If Julia is not skating for Russia today but for Jamaica, if Olympics did not take place in Sochi, if the package was not Schindler's list, if she is not a fair child with blonde hair blue eyes that has youth on her side with probably the most partisan audience in the world, will she be earn these astronomical home PCS inflation that took the veterans years of blood sweat and tears to earn them? Should an Olympic medal be earned this way? If Sochi is to have taken place 2 years ago, it will have been Liza instead of Julia (who has far better jumps) will the whole thing still happen?

The Olympic Charter state respect, fairplay, dedication, true universality are to be followed on the moral philosophy called 'world ethos'. It is anti discrimination, corruption, or manipulation of any kind which would be the most serious infringement of the Olympic spirit. I hope this sport will abide to these ethical principles, be responsible and continue to celebrate these universal values. For it to be part of the Olympic movement, the sport must be politically neutral even if inside the arena, many of the audiences aren't.

It is one thing how general audience may feel moved seeing Schindler's list on ice from a laymen's view, but one would expect an educated, experienced, credible and knowledge judging panel should able to separate hype/sensationalism versus what is actually being delivered on ice ON THE DAY. With no agendas or biases and treat ALL skaters with equal fairness. This lady's event will be the final event to test the credibility of COP to see whether it can fulfill its stated purpose. Whether as a human race, we just can't resist tell lies under any judging system doesn't matter how preventative it is as long there are little accountability or transparency.

Can we just wait? Thank god we'll find out soon enough and stop all this silly speculation. :)

Although Krislite wasn't replying to you, I believe it applies here to.

Barb

Record Breaker
Kim > Lipnitskaya > Asada. I think clean Asada beats clean Lipnitskaya but unfortunately I think Putin will start officiating gay marriages before Asada lands all the jumps she has planned.

:laugh: I just imagined to Putin doing it.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, this is disingenuous and not logically sound.

-Under the WC13 standards of judging, Julia would have gotten edge calls on her lutzes (and would have deserved them more than Yuna on her SP flip), dramatically lower GOEs on jumps, and hugely lower PCS. She would have been lucky to score 65 and 135, and would have been crushed by Yuna by a margin of 15-20 points. Minimum.

While I respect your analysis and love your keen insight to spot Russia's up and coming ladies champions. Isn't it a bit disingenuous to apply last years standards. We all know big wins and medals bring a reputation that often increases PCS. I don't think I'm delusional about this. Yulia won everything internationally with GPF her worst outing yet still being a silver medal and all this since the 2013WC. Following this line of thought one could argue that Yulia had the most successful year of any of the girls with Mao her only equal. You could argue either as the better IMO. It's really hard to deny that Yulia hasn't improved overall since 2013WC so some must be deserved, some awarded, and some being just plain momentum and home field advantage. It's the perfect storm and Yulia's consistency and odd ball charm are making it hard for judges to deny. Lets not forget the judges are there in person and susceptible to her fascinating presence and understated charm. Those looks in the FS are pretty genuine IMO and quite capable of melting a judges heart.

Bartek

On the Ice
It's so unfair that Yulia doesn't get edge calls on three lutzes. Why isn't there any outcry on account of this? If Yulia gets the same GOE for her 3Lz+3T as Yu-Na or for other jumps for that matter it'll be simply unjust.

Seeing Mao practices I think she'll deliver. If she lands her jumps she will be peerless. Even clean Yu-Na won't catch her. The judges will surely appreciate full set of triples with the triple axel on top of it.