For Michelle Fans... | Golden Skate

For Michelle Fans...

Panther2000

On the Ice
She did skate a wonderful short Program. regardless of the score & her Placement. & More important, she was very happy with her & the People Love her.

Keeping My fingers crossed for her Long Skate( Medal or Not) a Beautiful Clean Skate. That will say it all. She is already in the History books. & Will be in the Hall Of Fame.

LONG LIVE QUEEN MICHELLE

TMC8802

Spectator
HATE JUDGES

im MAD about the judging...michelle's short is beter than sasha's and the japanese may have triple triples (cheated) but they suck at choreography...god im mad...she's gonna have no hold backs in the long which is good...if michelle skated in sasha's position in the short she would be in first...but since the judges suck shes not...I HATE some JUDGES!!!!

good job for michelle...she did incredible...did all that she could possibly do

gracefulswan

On the Ice
yea... it's pretty heartrenching for her. i'm sure no one is more crushed than she is about the outcome so far. she just needs to suck it up now and skate with fire knowing she can't win anyway..much like S&Z did wednesday.

still reeling about the results.....

oh, jan hoffman 'thought' to point out kwan's errors but not the japanese ladies! very strange... she must have been very attentive to any errors that kwan could potentially make..more so than the others...:sheesh:

baltimore

Spectator
Have you all seen Michelle's program as skated today? How do you know that she had the technical difficulty that the skaters above her had in their programs?

Just curious....

A fan of exciting skating...and of Sasha

Hi, TCM8802, welcome to the forum. You will certainly have a lot of company here about criticism of judging. What do you think of the CoP?

Don't worry about our girl MK. She'll come out kickin' butt on Saturday!

Mathman

Hi Baltimore, thanks for posting and welcome to Golden Skate. I'm really looking forward to seeing it so I can make up my own mind. From the reports from people who were there (including GS reporter Rosaleen), the list of elements that Sasha and Michelle did was pretty much identical. Shizuka and Miki, of course, did triple/triples, but most people thought that their presentation marks should have been lower than either Sasha's or Michelle's.

Anyway, as you say, we'll soon be able to see for ourselves. In the meantime, congratulations to Sasha for what must have been a super performance!

Mathman

soogar

Record Breaker
I'm going to interject and say that according reporters, MK was held up considerably in QR so I don't see why there are complaints that she was scored unfairly in SP. The other girls had more difficult combos therefore under the old system, the judges will give the technical nod to them while Sasha excels in presentation and her spins and spirals (technical elements) are of higher quality than MK's.

Michibanana

Rinkside
From what I've heard, Sasha definitely deserves to be first. But I'm sick of people saying that her spirals are better than Michelle's; her spins are, but her spirals definitely aren't. She definitely gets better extension than Michelle on the spirals - but only a little bit more. Michelle has deeper edging (though Sasha's edging has become quite good) and better speed and power. My guess would be that the international judges weight them equally when it comes down to scoring them.

rpiche

Rinkside
Michibanana said:
From what I've heard, Sasha definitely deserves to be first. But I'm sick of people saying that her spirals are better than Michelle's; her spins are, but her spirals definitely aren't. She definitely gets better extension than Michelle on the spirals - but only a little bit more. Michelle has deeper edging (though Sasha's edging has become quite good) and better speed and power. My guess would be that the international judges weight them equally when it comes down to scoring them.

It's ok, Michelle has nerves of steel. Sasha doesn't. And the other Japanese girls, well, time will tell.

gellio

Rinkside
Michibanana said:

Disagree. Michelle has the 2nd best spirals in women's skating and Sasha's are vastly superior. The height and extension that Sasha gets is simply unparalled.

I also disagree with the poster who said Michelle has the better short program. Sasha has the best short program in the field and I knew if she skated clean no one would touch her, and that's exactly what happened.

I am a Kwan fan but I'm also a Cohen fan. I love them both and get tired of their fans constantly attacking each other and each skater. Michelle, IMO, is the best female skater ever, but Sasha, IMO, is on her way to becoming the best female skater ever.

It is Michelle's doing that has her in 4th position - not bad judging, not politics. It was her QR performance and I don't hear many people crying that she was held up in that, despite a single loop and a fall. Skaters below her skated cleaner and she beat them. I think she probably deserved to beat them because her overall skating is so good. I'm just saying that it's funny when MK gets held up her fans don't protest, yet when they think someone else is held up - the flood gates open.

I said this in another thread and I'll say it again here. Michelle is not the class of the field like she used to be. She simply can't show up, not fall, and win. There are other skaters than can beat a clean Kwan. That is a fact and it was proven today. You can't stand still for 6 years and not expect anyone to pass you. I feel that nothing has changed in Michelle's skating since 1998 (rather too little has changed). She needs new material, new tech, new spirals, and a new approach. I feel like I've watched the same program since Nagano and frankly she's getting boring.

I am happy Sasha won because she is new, fresh, exciting, and simply miraculous, when she's on. She's been on all week and I hope that continues tomorrow. We all know the consistency problems that have plagued her. I also hope Michelle, Arakawa, and Ando skate great as well - I hope everyone does. The men were so great yesterday - I hope the women can follow that up with a stream of great skates themselves.

Last edited:

rpiche

Rinkside
gellio said:
Disagree. Michelle has the 2nd best spirals in women's skating and Sasha's are vastly superior. The height and extension that Sasha gets is simply unparalled.

I also disagree with the poster who said Michelle has the better short program. Sasha has the best short program in the field and I knew if she skated clean no one would touch her, and that's exactly what happened.

I am a Kwan fan but I'm also a Cohen fan. I love them both and get tired of their fans constantly attacking each other and each skater. Michelle, IMO, is the best female skater ever, but Sasha, IMO, is on her way to becoming the best female skater ever.

It is Michelle's doing that has her in 4th position - not bad judging, not politics. It was her QR performance and I don't hear many people crying that she was held up in that, despite a single loop and a fall. Skaters below her skated cleaner and she beat them. I think she probably deserved to beat them because her overall skating is so good. I'm just saying that it's funny when MK gets held up her fans don't protest, yet when they think someone else is held up - the flood gates open.

I said this in another thread and I'll say it again here. Michelle is not the class of the field like she used to be. She simply can't show up, not fall, and win. There are other skaters than can beat a clean Kwan. That is a fact and it was proven today. You can't stand still for 6 years and not expect anyone to pass you. I feel that nothing has changed in Michelle's skating since 1998 (rather too little has changed). She needs new material, new tech, new spirals, and a new approach. I feel like I've watched the same program since Nagano and frankly she's getting boring.

I am happy Sasha won because she is new, fresh, exciting, and simply miraculous, when she's on. She's been on all week and I hope that continues tomorrow. We all know the consistency problems that have plagued her. I also hope Michelle, Arakawa, and Ando skate great as well - I hope everyone does. The men were so great yesterday - I hope the women can follow that up with a stream of great skates themselves.

I agree with you about all the fuss, and the put down on Sasha v. Michelle or Michelle v. eveyone else. I am actually glad that Sasha is doing well. But I am equally sad that Michelle is not.
I think part of the reason that we are so shocked by the results because we have always held Michelle as the standard and when the golden girl is broken, it is hard to digest.

I also agree that Michelle needs new jumps for her program. But to say her program hasn't improve is a little too harsh. Her artistry has improved a lot, if possible. When she skates with her heart, NOONE can touch her. I think when she gets in a safe mode like Nagano and SLC that she allows other to surpass her. I think that is what might have happened in the SP. That and the fact that she knows she will achieve a place in history. It's a huge pressure, even if she has that much experience.

There is only so much you can change in your program after competing for as long as she has. Heck, I felt like I grew up watching her. What new approach would there be besides adding a more difficult combo? Besides, it's hard to be the best, when you have a huge target on the back. Michelle is good at chasing, and not being chased. When she is chasing, she gets more competitive.

gellio

Rinkside
She skated well and should be happy with that. I strongly believe though that Sasha can beat Michelle regardless of how Michelle skates, and vise-versa. They are both fantastic skaters. I admit that I like seeing new blood on the podium, but I love MK too.

Michelle has changed slightly since 1998, but not enough. Her spiral sequence bores me to death because I've been seeing it for years. It's beautiful, but drawn out, and the same. She should put some different spiral positions in there. She should also work on other 3/2's if she can't master the 3/3. She tacks a toe loop on all combos and that just doesn't cut it. She should at least be doing a 3Z/2L.

Tomorrow night will be fun and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. I hope Michelle, and all the women, skate wonderfully.

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
sk8ing_lady2001 said:
I want her to skate an absolutely clean short program, so please light a candle for her ASAP.

http://pub86.ezboard.com/fmichellekwanworldfrm29

Go to "Dearest Michelle". :D

Don't people usually light candles when somebody dies? Isn't lighting a candle for a live person in a sports competition just a bit MUCH?

I am so glad that I honestly do not care who wins the medals--I am so enjoying the skating--for me that's what it's all about.

Panther2000

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Hi Baltimore, thanks for posting and welcome to Golden Skate. I'm really looking forward to seeing it so I can make up my own mind. From the reports from people who were there (including GS reporter Rosaleen), the list of elements that Sasha and Michelle did was pretty much identical. Shizuka and Miki, of course, did triple/triples, but most people thought that their presentation marks should have been lower than either Sasha's or Michelle's.

Anyway, as you say, we'll soon be able to see for ourselves. In the meantime, congratulations to Sasha for what must have been a super performance!

Mathman

Not one from what I read from people there. The presentation was not only lacking but, 1 cheated her jump & I think that one of the ladies also messed up her spins. Something about the rotations. But, from what I saw on my computer. I watched the event Live myself. When the scores came up Michelle had no problem with the scores( I think, I don't know when the scores pop up for the skaters to see) but, when the Ordinals were place that is when ????? cameup. The judges from what I understand had placed her (at the time) in 1st, But, the ref rushed over before they were visable to the audience & pushed her down to 3rd. They said even the judges were confused & did not understand the placement.

From the Interview I read about & saw some of. She has not let this get to her. She is focusing on the LP. Her Coach is ticked( he should be. Let him worry about her scores). Some people said that she skated slow. Not from what I saw. She had good speed & focused.
She will stay in 4th place until the LP. Too long or not, it is water under the bridge.

Just wishing michelle good luck with her skate tomorrow & let the cards fall where they may. If she wins a medal at least it will be clean. No help from the committee. Her medal (IF ANY) will be untarnished. It is better that way.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Just wishing michelle good luck with her skate tomorrow & let the cards fall where they may. If she wins a medal at least it will be clean. No help from the committee. Her medal (IF ANY) will be untarnished. It is better that way.

.........nice post Panther........in total agreement here.....42

Panther,
Another great post to put things in perspective.

Best wishes to all the skaters. They all work hard, have their goals, and are a joy to watch. With Michelle, I have no doubt we in North America will be able to feel the controlled explosion of her skating in the LP. With Sasha and Shizuka, I hope their coaching changes have helped them find the kind of performance nerves Michelle has most of the time. With Ando, this is her first Worlds. Whatever she does, it's all good.

Now I'm going to go light a candle for...my bubble bath.;)
Rgirl

B.O.H.I.C.Astan

Spectator
Lighting a candle can have whatever meaning the light-er intended; in the Catholic church one can be lit for anyone who needs God's love.