Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia

moviechick

On the Ice
I'm sure there's a lot of deep seeded issues between these two that we'll never fully understand. The fact that this bitterness has lasted 15 years says a lot, even after one of them retired and stopped competing. I think they are still constantly trying to one up each other. Yagudin used to bully him when they were kids and seemed rather insecure about Mishin's attention going more towards a younger kid. And Plushenko's enormous records, medals, and accomplishments are surely a bit of a sting for Yagudin who had to retire earlier because of injury.

Ladymadchan

Rinkside
Out of curiosity, since Yagudin's competitive days were over, has Plushenko ever said anything negative about Yagudin? I've heard plenty from Yagudin about Plushenko but not so much vice versa....

YagsFan

On the Ice
He could have at least skated to the middle of the ice-rink and bowed to the audience.

Between spitting on the ice after missing the axel and just sodding off without much acknowledgement of anyone around him, his attitude was just awful.

And this is why Plushenko should not have been selected in the first place. Everybody predicted something like this was going to happen and he'd have to withdraw because of very serious issues with his back. And it did happen.

Exactly!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Out of curiosity, since Yagudin's competitive days were over, has Plushenko ever said anything negative about Yagudin? I've heard plenty from Yagudin about Plushenko but not so much vice versa....

This is the truth...I liked Alexei-who didn't like him?- despite he was the biggest opponent of Plushy.. but i read many malicious comments on Plushy not once..and I read Plushy interviews too on Yag. He always preised him as one of the biggest skaters who always pushed him..

noskates

Record Breaker
Two thoughts.

I'm not in the least surprised that Kovtun was neither sick nor unavailable! Is anybody?

And, Mishin set up that competition between Plush and Yagudin. I've always preferred Yagudin's style of skating and I doubt seriously he's jealous of anything that Plush has. He's probably going to be able to walk normally when he's in his 60's, too.

Ladymadchan

Rinkside
And, Mishin set up that competition between Plush and Yagudin. I've always preferred Yagudin's style of skating and I doubt seriously he's jealous of anything that Plush has. He's probably going to be able to walk normally when he's in his 60's, too.

I don't know about that. Yagudin retired in his early 20s due to injuries. I believe he was diagnosed with a congenital hip condition after Salt Lake City and a couple of years later had a hip replacement.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Two thoughts.

I'm not in the least surprised that Kovtun was neither sick nor unavailable! Is anybody?

Why don't you think that Alexei is jelous? because your preferred his style? Alexei's greatest rival is continously on Tv, newspaper's cover, he has own show, his friends are the most famous celebrities, artists, politicians, athletes of Russia, if he is among the absolute elit people in Russia, if his sponsors are Mercedes Benz, the expensive swiss watch, the Russian Lotto etc.. that is absolute impossible? In most of cases Yagudin was in newspapers when he was asked about Plushy.. He said not once Plushy's life is the figure skating, what is a bad thing.. and he talks what is his big plans in life .. Then what happens? nothing he performs in Ice Age show while Plushy did some great new things ..

volk

Final Flight
Why don't you think that Alexei is jelous? because your preferred his style? Alexei's greatest rival is continously on Tv, newspaper's cover, he has own show, his friends are the most famous celebrities, artists, politicians, athletes of Russia, if he is among the absolute elit people in Russia, if his sponsors are Mercedes Benz, the expensive swiss watch, the Russian Lotto etc.. that is absolute impossible?

Alexei is also on TV. Plus he had a better career with 4 world titles to Plushenko's 3.

aschiutza

On the Ice
Oh, but them. it wouldhave been exactly the same persons screaming here that he was not respecting the rules, isn't it? Like it was the discussion exactly on this forum for the last month....

Kovtun should earn next time his place, by being reliable and not falling in pieces at the big competitions, and not by expecting that someone else give him his place.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Real joke is him not letting Kovtun participating in individual competition.

You believe me he wanted..he said it the Rus Fed. But what do you think, why Daisuke was sended to the Oly? He was/is injured before the Oly. Kozuka could have been 7th...

volk

Final Flight
Oh, but them. it wouldhave been exactly the same persons screaming here that he was not respecting the rules, isn't it? Like it was the discussion exactly on this forum for the last month....

Kovtun should earn next time his place, by being reliable and not falling in pieces at the big competitions, and not by expecting that someone else give him his place.

Sending Kovtun is better than sending nobody. But instead Plushenko became the victim of his own hype and Russia had nobody to root for.

aschiutza

On the Ice
Awwwww, poor Russia . But better for Russia to root for a gold in teams than bang for some kind of medal in team....

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

He DID earn it by winning Nationals and having a strong GP season. What exactly did Plu do to earn his Olympic spot, come 2nd at Nationals, skip Euros, and do some closed doors test skate without any competitors? :rolleye:

aschiutza

On the Ice
What did he do? Well have a real international career for example. And closed doors test skate had also Kwan as well, isn't it? It is normal when you have a skater in such liga to give him this chance.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
He DID earn it by winning Nationals and having a strong GP season. What exactly did Plu do to earn his Olympic spot, come 2nd at Nationals, skip Euros, and do some closed doors test skate without any competitors? :rolleye:

I think Plushy showed his power in team event, you can't deny..And I have a news Plushenko's wife said in an interview they will ask the Rus Federation show the video about the test skate.. and probably will be on the TV.

But no one wnats to answer about Daisuke? I love him.. but it seems you want to bash just Plushenko...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
What did he do? Well have a real international career for example. And closed doors test skate had also Kwan as well, isn't it? It is normal when you have a skater in such liga to give him this chance.

totally same thing..but if they don't forget about it, how can they bash Plushenko???

moviechick

On the Ice
Takahashi was also bumped up by his reputation and he came in 5th at nationals, which is fine cause it was great seeing him again. Given Plushenko's long history of reliability and performing under pressure, his choice actually makes more sense.