Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia

moviechick

On the Ice
He DID earn it by winning Nationals and having a strong GP season. What exactly did Plu do to earn his Olympic spot, come 2nd at Nationals, skip Euros, and do some closed doors test skate without any competitors? :rolleye:

Be a legend. Not being lower than 2nd since 2000. I mean it's pretty easy to see why they chose him. Not to mention, he's one of their most famous athletes and sells tickets like no one else.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Takahashi did well winning NHK at least and won the GPF last year. Plushenko didn't compete internationally this season and pulled out of Euros 2013, so comparing him over the past 2 years to Dai is ridiculous.

Also "having a real international career" isn't earning your spot, it's resting on your laurels and reputation. He did well at tw Olympics, and was a sensible choice, but lets not pretend like he actually *earned* his spot over Kovtun.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Be a legend. Not being lower than 2nd since 2000. I mean it's pretty easy to see why they chose him. Not to mention, he's one of their most famous athletes and sells tickets like no one else.

That isn't earning your spot, it is being given a spot due to past (and not even recently in the past) success and reputation.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Takahashi did well winning NHK at least and won the GPF last year. Plushenko didn't compete internationally this season and pulled out of Euros 2013, so comparing him over the past 2 years to Dai is ridiculous.

I don't think. Almost same situation..plus Dai is injured thus the JPN Fed would have to replace him before the Oly..But they didn't do it..Poor Kozuka..

moviechick

On the Ice
Olympic selections have always been about who can get you the medals you want. I think it's probably naive to think they actually care that much about giving athletes their fair chance. All countries are thirsty for medals first.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I think is normal. Each olympic sport is in bitter competition for the money with all other sports. When you don't have some years results and other sport bring it, than the money stops to come to your door. So each federation need to proove and proove that they bring the results. THis is especially in european countries, where a lor of the money comes from the ministerium and less from sponsors. No money - no youngs - no future.

Amei

Record Breaker
Russia's men's skating just hit the bottom. But the good news is that is can only go up now. Kovtun has a lot of potential. Let's see how he does.

Well that worked out well for the Russian ladies, after Irina S. retired they really didn't have any names, but now look - they are flooded with talent.

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, but them. it wouldhave been exactly the same persons screaming here that he was not respecting the rules, isn't it? Like it was the discussion exactly on this forum for the last month....

Kovtun should earn next time his place, by being reliable and not falling in pieces at the big competitions, and not by expecting that someone else give him his place.

Just a minor correction: monthS. Well before Russian Nationals, in fact. I believe it started on FSU by a poster saying something like: "if I were the Rus fed, this is what I would do", but who can really find the origin of these things? But by December it was "a truth universally acknowledged".

CarneAsada

Medalist
Well that worked out well for the Russian ladies, after Irina S. retired they really didn't have any names, but now look - they are flooded with talent.
It did take almost 6 years for them to have anything to show for it, though. I wonder if any of the current Russian senior men will become their country's next great.

aschiutza

On the Ice
At the moment the russian male skaters are not quite flooded with big talent .The FS should work more to get youngs in FS. Even those who were very promising as juniors have not quite fulfilled as seniors, like Gachinski or Klimkin. It is quite hard after such a glorious era of Urmanov-Kulik-Yagudin-Plushenko...

Meoima

Match Penalty
Real joke is him not letting Kovtun participating in individual competition.
At least Plushenko helped Russian with a gold in team event (his SP and LP alone scored 19 points), he is 31 already, what do people expect more?:mad: I was a little bit let down when Plushenko withdrew, but come to think of it, he has done so many thing for his nation already,:scowl: he shouldn't risk moving on a wheelchair for the next 40-50 years. I doubt it Kovtun would do as much as Plushenko if he had had the chance to this Olympic. He is still unstable, we all know what he did in these recent events.

volk

Final Flight
At least Plushenko helped Russian with a gold in team event (his SP and LP alone scored 19 points), he is 31 already, what do people expect more?:mad: I was a little bit let down when Plushenko withdrew, but come to think of it, he has done so many thing for his nation already,:scowl: he shouldn't risk moving on a wheelchair for the next 40-50 years. I doubt it Kovtun would do as much as Plushenko if he had had the chance to this Olympic. He is still unstable, we all know what he did in these recent events.

Russia didn't need his help. Even with Voronov they'd have a chance.

moviechick

On the Ice
Russia also didn't have the option of subbing someone out for the LP like the other top countries, so if you're deciding based on who can give you clean SP and LPs, the answer is pretty obvious.

noskates

Record Breaker
Plushyfan - why do YOU think he's jealous. I think your uber- fanship with Plush just kind of distorts your opinions on everyone else. Besides, at this point it really doesn't matter. It's over. No need to defend either side. Both were great skaters in their time. And yes, I do prefer Yagudin because his choreography was more interesting, he was more musical, and he didn't need to strut and pose to win.

I wish them both well in whatever they're doing now. I hope that Plush can find a niche outside the skating world to be successful in.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Russia also didn't have the option of subbing someone out for the LP like the other top countries, so if you're deciding based on who can give you clean SP and LPs, the answer is pretty obvious.

Actually the team competition was the first time this year that Plushenko didn't mess up either the SP or LP.

Although if Kovtun skated well he would have been pressed to receive the PCS that propped Plushenko up over Reynolds and Machida.

moviechick

On the Ice
I'm a far bigger Yagudin fan, but I don't see how anyone wouldn't be at least a tiny bit jealous of Plushenko's huge achievements and his status in Russia.

Also the whole daddy issues with Mischin.

Actually the team competition was the first time this year that Plushenko didn't mess up either the SP or LP.

That's the mark of greatness. Plushenko delivered when everything was on the line...

Although if Kovtun skated well he would have been pressed to receive the PCS that propped Plushenko up over Reynolds and Machida.

…and was rewarded for it. :yes:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Russia didn't need his help. Even with Voronov they'd have a chance.

Are you sure? I don't think so. With a 31-year-old skater, getting such score in Olympic is really a big achievement though. Witch such score, he is qualified enough for the bronze medal at men single, just saying. I am not a Plushy die-hard fan, more like Yagudin team. But seriously, young male figure skaters these day do not impress me much.