Ladies Short - Notes & Results | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short - Notes & Results

Kateri

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
not one to scream conspiracy... but it looks like north American skaters are really getting docked for good skates... I know I may still sound "bitter" from the Pairs SPs... but really I mean... from what I've been reading some of these scores are just weird!

I can't see how this is a nationalistic thing - how do you explain Sasha's marks?

I do, however, wonder if Arakawa's mark isn't a Tarasova thing....

k

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Has it always been this bad???

This is the first year I have tuned in to the entire competition through the Web and audio Eurosport, so of course I'm getting WAY more information about not only all the performances, but zillions of opinions and commentary about all the performances.

Of course I've always been aware of suspect judging just from watching on TV. Of course that culminated with the SLC debacle.

For those of you have always had more TV coverage and/or have utilized the Web and other sources in the past, has the judging ALWAYS been this suspect? It just seems like there is LOTS of propping up and holding down possibly going on. Can't wait for more opinions from those who are there.

I'm a huge believer that judging should be based on the RULES for crying out loud (i.e. mandatory deductions are mandatory deductions) and based on the performance on the day.

I'm sad to realize that the FIRST thoughts that came to mind as I was listening to the commentary on Michelle's performance before/after was 1) Punishment for no Grand Prix and 2) Punishment for not upping her own ante (i.e. 3/3's) in awhile.

I couldn't believe Ando had a 6 ordinal after her skate, and I equally couldn't believe Michelle had a 5.1 for technical after her skate.

I'm beginning to wonder why any of these competitors would devote their life to this if this is the judging one has to contend with. I would sure love to hear first hand why some of these judges gave the marks and placements they did. Maybe there is a rational explanation for some of it. I'm sure not seeing it at this point.

DG

mzheng

Record Breaker
tharrtell said:
Grand Prix. I wondered about this last year, but it didn't appear to be an issue. This year, I'ma thinking the judges are sending Kwan a message that she's got to play they whole game. She can't just show up for the big events and expect to win without paying her dues during the rest of the season. I think that if she really want Torino in 2006, she's got to commit now and really focus for the next two years. It's a long haul - very long - but if one more chance at the Oly gold is that important to her, the sacrafices will be worth it. I personally can't imagine keeping motivated after all these years, but if she wants it that badly, it'll become a priority.

I agree. But doing the whole thing still depends how her body going to hold up. She has said in her interviews that the consistant 3/3 depends on if her body can sustain the impact. Same as you, I can't imagine she keeping the motivation after all those years. You just don't know how much she has been going through this season emotionally and physically.

She dose not need any more titles, OGM or not dose not affect her place in the hearts of her fans. As for her haters even with 3 OGMs would not make them love her.

Here is to a great performance from Kween in LP!!

gellio

Rinkside
eyria said:
The judging doesn't seem to be consistent at all. Sasha had the same jump content as Michelle, yet is 3 places higher than her. If the judges wanted to penalize Michelle for doing the triple/double instead of a triple/triple, then fine. But in that case, they should penalize Sasha as well. Maybe Michelle's placement is correct, but in that case, Sasha should be marked similarly and be in third, not first.

From what I've read and seen so far, I think a lot of the judging this year at Worlds has been questionable. All I can say is I'm glad this will probably be the last year for the old system.

Well, I think when Sasha is on, her presentation is better than Michelle's - across the board - better spins, better spirals, better in-betweens and better speed. I think Sasha is incomparable in those facets of skating (except for speed). I think the Japanese ladies needed the 3-3's to beat Michelle. Ando did a very difficult 3Z-3l, Michelle and Sasha both did the 3Z-2t, which is much easier. Ando should be awarded for the difficult combo. Without seeing the programs, it's really hard to judge and reports say Michelle had a serious flutz.

euterpe

Medalist
I heard on another board that the Referee Jan Hoffmann told the USFSA that Michelle got a .1 deduction on each mark because her program was two seconds over the 2 min 40 sec.

I am glad that the ISU are such sticklers for accuracy. But why, then, didn't they deduct Arakawa for missing a rotation on her camel spin and underrotating her 3/3?

BTW, Sasha's flutz is FAR more severe than Kwan's could ever be.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
mzheng said:
She dose not need any more titles, OGM or not dose not affect her place in the hearts of her fans.

mzheng, I totally agree - I don't think she needs any more titles. However, I'm not sure she believes that. I was watching the SLC short last night, and her response to her marks was that of a woman who very much wants an Oly gold. She was disappointed with her tech marks and was talking to the air 'Come on, come on,' urging the presentation marks to be shown. There was a fierce look on her face which relaxed only slightly when she realized she was in first. She wants that gold, IMO. Why would she consider Torino otherwise? Yes, I know she says she loves to compete, and I believe that; however, elite skating is such a huge committment that I cannot see sticking out two long years if the gold wasn't really important to her. That said, I would be so trilled if she were able to do it.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I heard in other day from EuroSport that ISU promise investigate the 4.9 for Mike Weiss in his SP sometimes after the competetion. Will they do the same for MK?

rpiche

Rinkside
tharrtell said:
mzheng, I totally agree - I don't think she needs any more titles. However, I'm not sure she believes that. I was watching the SLC short last night, and her response to her marks was that of a woman who very much wants an Oly gold. She was disappointed with her tech marks and was talking to the air 'Come on, come on,' urging the presentation marks to be shown. There was a fierce look on her face which relaxed only slightly when she realized she was in first. She wants that gold, IMO. Why would she consider Torino otherwise? Yes, I know she says she loves to compete, and I believe that; however, elite skating is such a huge committment that I cannot see sticking out two long years if the gold wasn't really important to her. That said, I would be so trilled if she were able to do it.

A gold medal is IMPORTANT to ALL skaters. And Michelle, as diplomatic as she is, wants that gold. Besides a good skates, it is what everyone is training for is a performance to win over the rest. No one go in a competition and think, geez wouldn't it be nice to just get a medal or wouldn't it be nice if I get second or third.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
rpiche said:
A gold medal is IMPORTANT to ALL skaters.

rpiche - That was my point, only more succinctly put. I've heard people say that the gold isn't important to MK. My point is that it is very important even though she might try to imply otherwise. She wouldn't still be here if it weren't. She's competitive, and there is nothing wrong with that.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
this is CRAZY!!! michelle in fourth. what the f*&k! i just cannot believe that. i've heard that there should have been deductions for arakawa and ando that obviously were not taken while kwan skated very well...clean and inspired. her marks had better be investigated. this is unacceptable. now she'll be lucky to get a bronze. i just can't believe that this could potentially be the worst worlds finish for her in almost 10 years!:cry: :cry:

rpiche

Rinkside
Maybe MK's skating position had something to do with her placement. If she is placed between both girls who did harder combo's then her easier combo is seen as weaker. Whereas Sasha is last, so her presentation, which would be better than the jumping beans, overcomes the technical aspect.

Wonder how MK would do if she was skating last. Maybe she would be in a higher spot.

gellio

Rinkside
gracefulswan said:
this is CRAZY!!! michelle in fourth. what the f*&k! i just cannot believe that. i've heard that there should have been deductions for arakawa and ando that obviously were not taken while kwan skated very well...clean and inspired. her marks had better be investigated. this is unacceptable. now she'll be lucky to get a bronze. i just can't believe that this could potentially be the worst worlds finish for her in almost 10 years!:cry: :cry:

Have you seen the programs (live)? Just curious!

gellio

Rinkside
BTW, Sasha's flutz is FAR more severe than Kwan's could ever be. [/B]

A flutz is a flutz - regardless of the severity it is an incorrect Lutz. Either your do the Lutz correctly or you don't - end of story.

If Michelle received a .1 time deduction, as reported by Euterpe, that could account for why she ended up behind Shizuka and Miki, while Sasha did not. In that case there is no reason to speculate about whether the judges are trying to send anyone a "message."

For most programs, I do not understand how they can go over the time limit, unless the skater gets way behind her music. The music itself, after all, is edited pretty precisely. But The Feeling Begins has that section after the actual music stops, where there is just the sound of wind blowing, or something like that, while Michelle poses and slowly breaks into a radiant smile. :love: At Nationals Dick Button commented that since the audience can't hear the music at this point, it makes it seem like Michelle finishes behind her music, which detracts from the effectiveness of the program. So maybe this turned out to be a costly choreographic error, even though it is a heart-grabbing conclusion to that marvelous program.

Congratulations to Sasha! She must have skated her heart out. I can't wait to see it for myself.

Mathman

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
Many of the posters on this and other boards have seen the skating via live stream on RAI. Those with recorders have replayed jumps in slo-mo and have confirmed that both Arakawa and Ando pre-rotated and/or underrotated their 3/3s.

It seems that cheated 3/3s are worth more than fully rotated 3/2s, and it's OK to cut mandatory rotations from spins without getting deductions.

Meanwhile, deducting for flutz applies only to Kwan, and not to Cohen.

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I hope Michelle is really pissed! LOL! She has been low balled before, especially in the short program. Hopefully, she'll pull a vintage Kwan in the long (no matter where she ends up). I seem to be the only one that feels this could actually be a positive thing for Michelle. First of all, the Olympics are two years away and she has plenty of time to make a final decision and to prepare. And, she now has real motivation. She must push herself harder than ever (similar to the change from 95 to 96) if she wants a shot in Italy. But, we should probably wait and see what happens in the long. Arakawa, Ando and Cohen are not models of consistency. Yet, having said that, I'd hate to seem falter now. They've been magnificent so far. Whatever happens, I hope Michelle can finish this competition with a performance she can be proud of (and that will push her to work her tail off for 2004-2005). She's still the best in my book.

gellio

Rinkside
euterpe said:
Many of the posters on this and other boards have seen the skating via live stream on RAI. Those with recorders have replayed jumps in slo-mo and have confirmed that both Arakawa and Ando pre-rotated and/or underrotated their 3/3s.

It seems that cheated 3/3s are worth more than fully rotated 3/2s, and it's OK to cut mandatory rotations from spins without getting deductions.

Meanwhile, deducting for flutz applies only to Kwan, and not to Cohen.

You can't entirely judge from seeing something on video feed or tv. Yes, you can evaluate the jumps, but there's more to marks than just jumps. It is very different when you see it live. I know I was blown away by Irina's speed the first time I saw her live. Michelle may not have received a deduction for a flutz.

Seems like pretty poor sports to me - when Kwan doesn't win everyone screams foul play.

I do think it's awfully picking to penalize her for going 2 seconds over.