Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Again: Do you realise what the word 'squared' actually means? It doesn't mean 'times two.'

I've pointed that out the poster in question before, but he insists on trying to make that nickname happen.

While it may not be mathematically accurate, the use of the initial + the word 'squared' is a pretty common way of referring to people or couples who have the same initials. I've seen it used in cases where one person has both initials the same, in cases where someone has a hyphenated last name with both names starting with the same initial, and in cases where two people in a couple have the same initial. I first encountered this in 1989 when one of my university professors had a hyphenated last name with both starting with H, and he was referred to in the department as H squared. So I don't see this as something Skater Boy is truing to force or make stick. Saying S squared is more natural to my ear than saying S/S

Maybe it's less common in some regions than in others.

In the U.S., what peg says is absolutely true.

And I too know what x[SUP]2[/SUP] means mathematically. Nonetheless, regarding common usage, peg still is correct.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
they are the same, both did not win gold, so no hypocrites there

Chan got OSM after bad karma for 3 consecutive undeserved World titles - and thus falling into the "Canadian curse" list
Rochette got a pity bronze

Wow! Are you ever mean.....not true

moviechick

On the Ice
Well, Patrick Chan said this today:

"I think I'll still be the best skater in the world for some time."

I think he's got to stop saying things like that, because it does make him sound a bit arrogant.

Man, he really does not want any fans does he? LOL.

Kelly

On the Ice
Patrick is right that he's the best skater in the world. And it happens that the best skater is not certainly winning every competition.

yuki

Final Flight
Patrick is right that he's the best skater in the world. And it happens that the best skater is not certainly winning every competition.

Maybe, but isn't this something that is best acknowledged by other people and not himself? I get that he's going for "confident", but (at least for me) he comes across as arrogant instead.

emma

Record Breaker

I think he's got to stop saying things like that, because it does make him sound a bit arrogant.

I can't argue with him as of now, although I might say "among the best" - always wise to be careful wit these things ;) - but does this mean he will continue to skate competitively too? I would be very pleased if this were so!

blue_ice

On the Ice
Who cares if you're the best skater if you can't pull yourself together.

Exactly. And what did he expected, a gold medal with a dancing "coach"? What a joke :hb:. He is lucky to get a "silver platter". It's not a Canadian curse, it's a dumb decision go to Olympics with no real coach.

While it may not be mathematically accurate, the use of the initial + the word 'squared' is a pretty common way of referring to people or couples who have the same initials. I've seen it used in cases where one person has both initials the same, in cases where someone has a hyphenated last name with both names starting with the same initial, and in cases where two people in a couple have the same initial. I first encountered this in 1989 when one of my university professors had a hyphenated last name with both starting with H, and he was referred to in the department as H squared. So I don't see this as something Skater Boy is truing to force or make stick. Saying S squared is more natural to my ear than saying S/S

Maybe it's less common in some regions than in others.

Thanks for pointing this out. It also sounds better to say "S squared" than it would to say "two-S" or "S twice." I have a friend who writes her name in that style because her first and last name begin with the same initial, and she writes it with the "2" as an exponent (superscript) rather than aligned with the letter N. (I can't paste one in, but you all know what I mean.)

thanks for pointing this out. It also sounds better to say "s squared" than it would to say "two-s" or "s twice." i have a friend who writes her name in that style because her first and last name begin with the same initial, and she writes it with the "2" as an exponent (superscript) rather than aligned with the letter n. (i can't paste one in, but you all know what i mean.)

S[SUP]2[/SUP] :)

On the reply to post page, click "go advanced." In the third row of icons, second from the right -- that's your guy. :)

Or by hand: S[sup]2[/su*p] (remove * :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Hanyu is the Grand Prix final and Olympic Champion so obviously is now the best skater in the World. How is a retired skater (after this season or already if he doesnt go to Worlds) going to be the best skater in the World anyway. Is he saying he is going to the best even while not competing anymore. Wow his arrogance is even far beyond what I already knew it was.

His PCS margin over Hanyu, which is a good measure of who is the best skater, is very slim even when both make mistakes. Yes, he's the best but it could change soon.

PCS alone does not determine who is best. Hanyu is technically superior to Chan now, he is more consistent (despite that his consistency is poor as well, but Chan is even worse), and he would score much higher technically even if both were perfect (especialy in the long program) so that overcomes Chan's now very narrow PCS edge.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Who cares if you're the best skater if you can't pull yourself together.
Precisely. I'm a Sasha Cohen fan, so I know what it's like. At least he managed some world titles, deserved or not, which she botched twice for herself. I still love her the best, but I'm not deluded about her consistency problems.

Exactly. And what did he expected, a gold medal with a dancing "coach"? What a joke :hb:. He is lucky to get a "silver platter". It's not a Canadian curse, it's a dumb decision go to Olympics with no real coach.
Did no one learn from what Kwan did in 2002?

Hanyu is the Grand Prix final and Olympic Champion so obviously is now the best skater in the World. How is a retired skater (after this season or already if he doesnt go to Worlds) going to be the best skater in the World anyway. Is he saying he is going to the best even while not competing anymore. Wow his arrogance is even far beyond what I already knew it was.

PCS alone does not determine who is best. Hanyu is technically superior to Chan now, he is more consistent (despite that his consistency is poor as well, but Chan is even worse), and he would score much higher technically even if both were perfect (especialy in the long program) so that overcomes Chan's now very narrow PCS edge.

Exactly. PCS is not the only factor. TES exists for a reason and you can fudge one a lot more easily.

peg

Medalist
However, one could argue (and many have) that in the last little while, Hanyu has been overscored in PCS given how he actually skates and performs, and that the narrow PCS lead should be considerably bigger.

I'm not sure that would entirely make up the gap in TES, but it would be a lot closer anyway. And I do think that right now, Patrick is the best all-around skater. YMMV

peg

Medalist
Thanks for pointing this out. It also sounds better to say "S squared" than it would to say "two-S" or "S twice." I have a friend who writes her name in that style because her first and last name begin with the same initial, and she writes it with the "2" as an exponent (superscript) rather than aligned with the letter N. (I can't paste one in, but you all know what I mean.)
Yeah, it rolls off the tongue more easily. And it's shorter to write with the superscript than it is to write out the whole names.

I am curious though to know what part of the world Ziggy and Buttercup are in, as it seems to grate on them, which makes me suspect that it's not a universal usage. I'm curious to know where it is and isn't used. But I'm a bit of a language geek that way. (I blame it one living in too many countries as a child and having to learn my fifth language (English) at the ripe old age of five.)

peg

Medalist
Hanyu thinks so too. He said as much in a recent interview. --Quite an honest boy.
I'm really liking him as a human being. Tons of integrity. I was really impressed that after he messed up his skate, he was rooting for Patrick to win.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
However, one could argue (and many have) that in the last little while, Hanyu has been overscored in PCS given how he actually skates and performs, and that the narrow PCS lead should be considerably bigger.

One could also easily argue Chan is overscored on PCS. In fact people have been saying that for years, and has been a large part of many of his highly controversial wins. There are many people who dont feel he has deserved to get much higher PCS than people like Takahashi in the past, yet he has. So just as you argue that for Hanyu, you could just as easily argue it for Chan. I laugh at his PCS in the Olympic LP with 4 very disruptive mistakes that clearly disrupted the program, and a boring generic Four seasons program, getting mostly mid 9s in PCS from the judges.

I agree Hanyu is overscored in PCS now, but that just means someone other than Chan is being overscored in PCS, which levels the playing field between just the two of them and makes it more or less fair. Chan does generally deserve the higher PCS, so with both being grossly overscored his PCS end up higher each time, nothing to note there. People just arent used to anyone not named Chan being overscored, as for 3 years that it how it has been. Meanwhile Chan is generally overscored in GOE as well, which Hanyu is not, so if anything Chan is still the more overscored of the two.

In any case I would say TES is if anything a better indicator to who is truly the best in the World than PCS. After all TES is far more objective than PCS is. And Hanyu this season has reached a superior level of TES than Chan has ever reached. Hanyu is also the one who has won the most recent biggest titles and they werent even controversial like 70% of Chans victories are. So right now Hanyu is the best skater in the World, and Chan didnt just say now, he said for years to come, which implies he thinks he is so great he will be considered the best skater in the World not only while someone else is beating him for the big titles, but even as a retired or professional tour skater after this year. His delusions knows no bounds, but then with the fantasy World the judges have placed him in over the years, it is little wonder.

peg

Medalist
Ha ha. Thanks M[SUP]2[/SUP] ;)

And you could well be right. Most of my friends and all my co-workers have a university education, so that might explain why I hear it so regularly.