Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan

Well is there any untruth to what she said? No. :sarcasm: The fact of the matter is with Yuzuru's sub par performance today, that gold medal was on the platter for Chan to take and he didn't take it.

This. I really don't understand the backlash she has received. She just acknowledged what happened.

And it's not like she has done so in a deliberately mean and nasty way.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Me, neither. I can see why he may seem like he has a foot-in-the-mouth syndrome to some, but he doesn't seem to have any guile, either, so I like him for that. Plus, I've heard of the stories of people meeting him and he was perfectly lovely and humble.

It's funny how, now that he hasn't won the gold, I can actually profess my liking for him on this board without feeling like I may be ostracized for it.

Yes, I can almost feel the vitriol for Chan seeping out of here like air from a leaky balloon...:p

He seems like a perfectly likeable, down-to-earth guy to me, too. I'm sure he, of all people, would forgive someone else for being blunt.

princess116

Spectator
I really feel sorry for Patrick. I know many - including a lot here - pan him for his comments but I wonder how many of them have mean intent or if he just doesn't think before he speaks. We all know people like that and there are many, including Joannie apparently who should have kept her mouth shut, who have the same hoof in mouth disease. Patrick did blow it - but it bothers me that someone who falls and has a bad skate can still win the gold medal. Personally I find Patrick's skating more pleasing than Hanyu's. He doesn't have good posture, he doesn't have a good line, but he has big jumps. And he won.

It is what it is - like someone said up thread. I'm sure he feels terrible.

I totally agree with this - yes, in the end he was human and he screwed up - BUT overall, I too enjoy his skating more than Hanyu's. Chan is much more mature, his flow and musical interpretation are incredible. Hanyu also screwed up badly and actually fell a couple of times. No one had a really great skate which is a shame. I was really hoping for a better competition all around. Maybe there is just too much pressure being put on these skaters.

just my opinion.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
they are the same, both did not win gold, so no hypocrites there

Chan got OSM after bad karma for 3 consecutive undeserved World titles - and thus falling into the "Canadian curse" list
Rochette got a pity bronze

Bad Karma - if anything Chan deserved good karma. It is the system and I do wonder with all this misudnerstanding of the COP system and people whining about pcs if Chan got unfairly penalized. Remember excellent transitions not only affect pcs but goes on jumps and such as more difficult entries and exits are part of goes. That being said Chan and Hanyu did well and I still wish they both got gold and the others nothing as they were not in the same league and there were tonnes of deserving bronze medals (maybe not on the skate but for many reasons Joubert -so close so long, Fernandez - I do not think he is of the same level of Chan or Hanyu. If karma were to equal out then V and M would get gold in dance but I doubt it D and W have this in the bag. I like Hanyu a lot but I do hope someone else gets the gold next time = he was lucky. But Joannie was not a pity bronze she almost won silver - she had the most difficult programs in respect to transitions and such and she wasa one of the few ladies who did all the triples everyone else usually didn't try one form of a triple (other than the axel). But - oh never mind I see who I am eplying too now.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I totally agree with this - yes, in the end he was human and he screwed up - BUT overall, I too enjoy his skating more than Hanyu's. Chan is much more mature, his flow and musical interpretation are incredible. Hanyu also screwed up badly and actually fell a couple of times. No one had a really great skate which is a shame. I was really hoping for a better competition all around. Maybe there is just too much pressure being put on these skaters.

just my opinion.

Now all those posters who complained about inflation if they are being fair should be saying Hanyuflation - he fell so how did he win. I hope Evan isn't getting too smug because he couldn't compete with these boys or their techincal skills or pcs. And while reporters keep syaing he might have come back but if the injuries - really do we beleive this?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Well is there any untruth to what she said? No. :sarcasm: The fact of the matter is with Yuzuru's sub par performance today, that gold medal was on the platter for Chan to take and he didn't take it.

Joannie's situation was different b/c she had no shot at winning gold but she did have a shot at bronze and she delivered enough to win that. Some people don't like to hear the truth b/c it hurts but the truth is after the way Yuzuru skated in the FS, it was Chan's gold medal to lose and he lost it.

Joannie actually had a good shot at silver. Had she not had one of her two big mistakes in the LP she would have beaten Mao who also had two big mistakes but 3 triple axels to give her the edge. Remember she lost silver by something like less than 3 points. Given the circumstances though it is hard to fault her for that though.

Going into Vancouver Mao was no lock for the silver ahead of Miki, Joannie, and Carolina though based on her showing at the 2009 Worlds and skating that season, and she in fact pulled off an amazing competition in Vancouver all things considered.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Do you have the original French tweet?

Technically that may be an accurate 'literal' translation; but the French do love their word-play and nuances!

It almost sounds like it could be a coined French expression; in which case the translated version may be adding negative sentiment that was never there to begin with ...

Steve

Nobody is talking about her follow up tweets after that, where she says only really nice things about Patrick.

Have not read the whole thread.
Here is the original tweet in French from ‏@JoannieRochette, plus three of her many subsequent tweets.
Be sure to read the last one copied and pasted below. :)

Il avait l'or sur un plateau d'argent. Il a pris le plateau.

For the English speakers, my last tweet was a word game in French. I am 100% behind Patrick and wanted him to win so badly. So proud of him!

... I am happy he won silver, just sad for him he lost gold, he is a 3-time world champion.

Just talked to Patrick. He understands it was not rude and that's all that matters. I'm sorry it offended some of you.
2:19 PM - 14 Feb 2014 from Адлер, Sotji
https://twitter.com/JoannieRochette/status/434451833306624000

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
^ What a TERRIBLE RUDE PERSON. ;)

Seriously, I hope that ends this particular drama. There's enough of it elsewhere.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
What are you talking about? She got negative tweets back and was starting to backtrack on her statement.

How was she "backtracking"? She was explaining her intentions to people who were reading all kinds of weird crap into what she said. Nothing she said contradicted anything she said before.

sowcow

On the Ice
Have not read the whole thread.
Here is the original tweet in French from ‏@JoannieRochette, plus three of her many subsequent tweets.
Be sure to read the last one copied and pasted below.
Il avait l'or sur un plateau d'argent. Il a pris le plateau.
For the English speakers, my last tweet was a word game in French. I am 100% behind Patrick and wanted him to win so badly. So proud of him!
... I am happy he won silver, just sad for him he lost gold, he is a 3-time world champion.
Just talked to Patrick. He understands it was not rude and that's all that matters. I'm sorry it offended some of you.
2:19 PM - 14 Feb 2014 from Адлер, Sotji
https://twitter.com/JoannieRochette/status/434451833306624000

Yes ... it is a fairly common Québécois saying.

My French is not terrific, but I believe it to be a fairly tongue-in-cheek word-play (so it is certainly possible the tweet was not sent in malice):

"The gold was served on a silver platter; and he took the platter"

Nevertheless, it was definitely a poor choice of words! (...and it reads as bad or worse in English!)

Cheers,
Steve

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yes ... it is a fairly common Québécois saying.

My French is not terrific, but I believe it to be a fairly tongue-in-cheek word-play (so it is certainly possible the tweet was not sent in malice):

"The gold was served on a silver platter; and he took the platter"

Nevertheless, it was definitely a poor choice of words! (...and it reads as bad or worse in English!)

Cheers,
Steve

I don't see what's wrong with it, she was commentating. I think its a cool word choice, and she'd make a good commentator. He didn't deliver but he has the silver and that's good. It doesn't make him a bad person though or a bad skater.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I was just searching the web to see how accurate (or not) my translation was ... and came across this Yahoo article:
It seems the Yahoo writer was less forgiving than I was to give Joannie the benefit of the doubt...

I agree with Rochette's comment in the fourth tweet that I copied above. It does not matter what anyone other than Chan thinks. And Chan did not find the tweet rude.

volk

Final Flight
they are the same, both did not win gold, so no hypocrites there

Chan got OSM after bad karma for 3 consecutive undeserved World titles - and thus falling into the "Canadian curse" list
Rochette got a pity bronze

Only two were undeserved. As for Rochette, the bronze could've gone either way.

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
Okay, that photo is cute.

Also, Joannie is hot. There, I said it.

isn't she though! She looks a million times better now than when she was competing, when she was sporting flatironed hair, drag queen makeup and monster shoulders.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Only two were undeserved. As for Rochette, the bronze could've gone either way.

Well I think Sale and Pelletier at least had one undeserved win or world title. And S squared also arguably had many big titles given to them unfairly. Carolina is like the gifted girl many a times while unwarranted. Scott Hamilton arguably was an undersving gold medallist at olympics. Joannie was hardly a pity bronze her programs ere the most intricate/difficult and she had all her triples and power and ampllitude. besides Mirai really did not interpret Carmen - shes kated it as another Disney song like Beauty and the beast. her jumps while cleaner overall did not have the amplited or the entrances and exits of Rochette which are key for Goe's. Bad karma then should go to maybe Davis and white who have been unable to capture the passion or a tango yet always did well and does well. Bad karma should go to Dai and Ashley and Plushy for being put on their teams with huge issues, Witt deserved bad karma but was a lucky girl even in 1994 when somehow everyone else fell and she did respectively well.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
It saddens me that after the historical skates at TEB Chan rode a little downward curve(although I think 13GPF gold is Chan‘s, IMO). I wonder if he was dealing with a small injury.

I wanted Chan to win OG because I thought without it he might be in danger of being underrated.