Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan

ks777

Record Breaker
I am not a big patrick fan but at least he skates like a man unlike Kevin Reynolds. Kevin's hair really bothers me.. more than his skating.

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
I am not a big patrick fan but at least he skates like a man unlike Kevin Reynolds. Kevin's hair really bothers me.. more than his skating.

I am not sure what you mean by "skates like a man"...to me, "skates like a man" is not a compliment. Elvis Stojko skated "like a man" and it was just awful...

OTOH, Kevin's hair is a no.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I agree with Rochette's comment in the fourth tweet that I copied above. It does not matter what anyone other than Chan thinks. And Chan did not find the tweet rude.

I am Canadian, I am French, speaking, my Dad grew up in Montreal, and his family is from France. I understand French very well, and people need to realize you can't translate an expression from another language and ever hope to understand the meaning properly. Some French expressions you translate to English aren't even a proper sentence because the meaning is completely lost. The words are there but the understanding is not.

Anyway, congratulations to Patrick who went from 0 medals at the Olympics to 2. :yay: I'm only sorry he couldn't catch the gold.

moviechick

On the Ice
LOL, love Joannie's shade here. I wish there was more witty shade thrown around in figure skating and not the annoying kind we usually get.

peg

Medalist
It saddens me that after the historical skates at TEB Chan rode a little downward curve(although I think 13GPF gold is Chan‘s, IMO). I wonder he was dealing with a small injury.

I wanted Chan to win OG because I thought without it he might be in danger of being underrated.
Unfortunately, I think he peaked too soon.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I don't get the title of this thread. Joannie did not call out Patrick, she made a joke about what happened. Calling out implies that she criticized him and his skating. She didn't.

What a dumb controversy, don't people have anything better to do?

Again: Do you realise what the word 'squared' actually means? It doesn't mean 'times two.'
I've pointed that out the poster in question before, but he insists on trying to make that nickname happen.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I don't care if she said it or not.
Just don't try to take it back.
If you say something stand by it.
We are all allowed our opinions.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Wow, this thread's gotten random.

I don't get why English-speaking people wouldn't understand what she meant. It was a play on the "handed on a silver platter" expression, was it not? That's a common expression in English, too.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rochette totally earned the bronze in 2010. she had a great short and a great long, with one minor stepout on the long.had

I don't question Joannie's bronze medal. It was not out of sympathy, pity, ... She earned it!

Ugh, I do feel bad for him, especially reading his post-interview where he apologized for missing the gold and said he tried his best. :(

While he didn't win gold, silver is nothing to be ashamed of.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
He was pretty humble today. Joanne at least he got silver..

Well, Patrick Chan said this today:

"I think I'll still be the best skater in the world for some time."

I think he's got to stop saying things like that, because it does make him sound a bit arrogant.

Mia_

Rinkside
Well, Patrick Chan said this today:

"I think I'll still be the best skater in the world for some time."

I think he's got to stop saying things like that, because it does make him sound a bit arrogant.

I see no lies.

peg

Medalist
Again: Do you realise what the word 'squared' actually means? It doesn't mean 'times two.'

I've pointed that out the poster in question before, but he insists on trying to make that nickname happen.
While it may not be mathematically accurate, the use of the initial + the word 'squared' is a pretty common way of referring to people or couples who have the same initials. I've seen it used in cases where one person has both initials the same, in cases where someone has a hyphenated last name with both names starting with the same initial, and in cases where two people in a couple have the same initial. I first encountered this in 1989 when one of my university professors had a hyphenated last name with both starting with H, and he was referred to in the department as H squared. So I don't see this as something Skater Boy is truing to force or make stick. Saying S squared is more natural to my ear than saying S/S

Maybe it's less common in some regions than in others.