2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

volk

Final Flight
Daisuke, Joubert, Abbott just retired. Anyone else is skipping? V/T said 50% they're going.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
I wish Brian and Jeremy would go. Joubert in particular has a history of excellent post-Olympic Worlds.

amc987

On the Ice
Did Daisuke, Joubert and Abbott all retire immediately after Sochi? I thought Jeremy was going to Worlds?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Plushenko isn't going of course...dai will go as it is in Japan i thought. Unless he had a change of heart.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Takahashi will go even if it's not in Japan.

He might continue competitive skating after all
http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi2014/figureskate/news/p-sochi-tp0-20140215-1257794.html

Actually Takahashi has never mentioned about retirement in a definite way.
He always said "this could be my last season."

I know everyone wants OGM so maybe Chan should take two years off and come back. Maybe S squared should do the same. Sometimes though it is time to go - as much as we love these skaters (wel some skaters and some are liked by some fans - on this site we can see hatred to some skatres and love to others and vice versa. Dai really looks a little tired, a little bit faded and he isn't quite teh same and his results are slipping. Ssquared and P and T really stopped growing artistically. P and T had moremagic in 2010 and nutcracker was so not the innovative Germans. Dai even looks a bit tired and his programs no longer like the techno swan lake excitement or whatever. And make your decision folks come on Abbott yes or no!!!! Maybe he is looking for that great last skate - him and Alissa and Fumie. Maybe there should be a group called Fumie and Friends - even Michelle refused to retire and just sort of faded out. Pand T , squared all sort of faded out even Takahashi.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Why? Neither would be competitive for the gold in 4 years. Chan would be 28 in 2014, and I cant think of a 28 year old who was ever a serious contender for the gold other than legendary 27 year old Plushenko in a super weak field in 2010, and even then he couldnt beat the most blah Olympic winner ever Lysacek, even with a clean skate. Robin Szolkowy would be almost 40 in 2014, which is 4 or 5 years older than Hongbo Zhao in Vancouver, and you know even the great S&Z would not have been contenders for the gold had they come back for Sochi. If they wanted to come back for personal reasons ala Witt and Zayak in 1994 fine, but if it were just for the Olympic Gold, then it is a wasted venture.

agreed, there is a time when its time to stop
if it wasnt the case lets just bring in Peggy Flemming, Nancy Kerrigan, Gordeeva/Grinkov and the likes

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think there was a thread on the topic of 2014 Worlds started a few weeks back, but I guess this can be the updated version. :)

Has anyone heard whether Virtue & Moir have made a final, official decision yet? Back in November they said on CBC TV that Sochi would be their last competition, but is it possible they could change their mind depending on what happens at the Olympics this week, or that Skate Canada might try to persuade them to go to Worlds?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Carolina is going... It would be really sad if Daisuke missed post-Olympic Worlds in Japan :(

Amei

Record Breaker
Sorry for the confusing title. But this is a valid question as some skaters skip worlds in olympic season.

Well I'm not going :biggrin:

The only skater from the ladies that I feel I can say w/o a doubt won't go is Yuna. I think the current Russians and Americans will go unless they get injured at the Games regardless of placement at the Olympics.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think there was a thread on the topic of 2014 Worlds started a few weeks back, but I guess this can be the updated version. :)

Has anyone heard whether Virtue & Moir have made a final, official decision yet? Back in November they said on CBC TV that Sochi would be their last competition, but is it possible they could change their mind depending on what happens at the Olympics this week, or that Skate Canada might try to persuade them to go to Worlds?

Cross-posting from the Olympic FD thread:

I know the conventional wisdom has been that Virtue/Moir will not compete at Worlds.

And this quote today from Moir is de facto confirmation:
"It was what we wanted to do today. That was our best performance of the year for that program. That program was our baby and it's special for us to perform it for the last time," Moir explained.​

flutzy13

On the Ice
USFS are basically saying they don't give a crap about getting a third spot for an up and coming skater if they don't strongarm Jeremy into withdrawing due to injury/retiring so Jason can go. What a waste it will be so that Jeremy can attempt yet another redemptive moment and finish 7th-12th.

diane044

Rinkside
Cross-posting from the Olympic FD thread:

I know the conventional wisdom has been that Virtue/Moir will not compete at Worlds.

And this quote today from Moir is de facto confirmation:
"It was what we wanted to do today. That was our best performance of the year for that program. That program was our baby and it's special for us to perform it for the last time," Moir explained.​

Tessa and Scott were being interviewed on the French-Canadian TV channel after their FD today and Tessa said that they hadn't decided about Worlds yet. (BTW, they were being interviewed in English and the interviewer was translating the questions and answers to French.)