2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Cross-posting from the Olympic FD thread:

I know the conventional wisdom has been that Virtue/Moir will not compete at Worlds.

And this quote today from Moir is de facto confirmation:
"It was what we wanted to do today. That was our best performance of the year for that program. That program was our baby and it's special for us to perform it for the last time," Moir explained.​

Does "last time" refer to worlds or Olympics? "That program was our baby" Does WAS mean no more?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
USFS are basically saying they don't give a crap about getting a third spot for an up and coming skater if they don't strongarm Jeremy into withdrawing due to injury/retiring so Jason can go. What a waste it will be so that Jeremy can attempt yet another redemptive moment and finish 7th-12th.

While I'd prefer Jason to go and not Jeremy, this is a different situation than Flatt's or Czisny's. He is fully healthy but just not a consistent competitor. The USFSA awarded him the spot although they didn't have to. I hope this blows up in their face so they finally decide to make better decisions about assigning skaters to important events.

noskates

Record Breaker
Jason posted an instagram picture either today or yesterday showing he was back on the ice practicing and that possibilities are endless. WHY on earth would he be practicing if he wasn't going to Worlds. Makes no sense.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Why is this a Jeremy v. Jason thing when the whole thing is only due to USFS leapfrogging Max Aaron over Jason for Worlds? Strong arm the third placer. Jeremy won nationals so if someone needs to be booted so Jason can increase his credentials let it be Max.

I still think USFS made the faulty assumption that Jeremy would definitely retire after the Olympics so they could get away with picking Max so he keeps training. That's their bad.

I really hope S/S stick around for Worlds to leave on a better note. And I'll be dumbfounded if V/T don't go. They have a healthy cushion over S/S. They have an enormous cushion over everyone else. They'd be fools not to get the easy win.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Tessa and Scott were being interviewed on the French-Canadian TV channel after their FD today and Tessa said that they hadn't decided about Worlds yet. (BTW, they were being interviewed in English and the interviewer was translating the questions and answers to French.)

Does "last time" refer to worlds or Olympics? "That program was our baby" Does WAS mean no more?

Well ... at the time of my post, it seemed clear to me that "last time" meant "today." And that "was" meant that Virtue/Moir will not be competing the program again after Sochi.
But ... sorry, I myself now am confused after reading diane's post.

Jason posted an instagram picture either today or yesterday showing he was back on the ice practicing and that possibilities are endless. WHY on earth would he be practicing if he wasn't going to Worlds. Makes no sense.

Jason is the official first alternate for Worlds. He is being responsible (no surprise for Jason :)) to continue training even if he has not been given any guarantee that he will compete in place of Abbott. Even if Abbott at this point wants to keep his options open, hypothetically his back could start giving him trouble again or who knows what? (Not wishing anything ill on Abbott -- just answering noskates' question.)

caitie

Medalist
Tracy Wilson said on the broadcast tonight that she strongly suspects this was VM's last competitive performance. I hope she's wrong, I'd like to see VM at Worlds.

Davis and White have said they'd like to go to Worlds no matter what happens at the Olympics, they love to skate in Japan, etc. But I think it depends. There's been talk of them appearing on DWTS (which would be so unfair lol), but that starts the same week as Worlds.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Hmmm I think banking half a million bucks is worth skipping worlds :p. Though they could do the next cycle as well and they'd be fresh enough. I actually think that'd be better to stretch out their visibility.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
idk why v/m are playing so coy about going to worlds, they're obviously not. they hated doing it last time

another world title would be easy as pie for d/w to take, but they might want to capitalize on their post gold medal win with dwts because the sheen of the olympics doesn't last that long. also motivation to keep training would be tough

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I do remember that Virtue/Moir were exhausted after the 2010 Olympics, and that it was tough to prepare themselves (mentally and physically) for 2010 Worlds.

But have they really said that they "hated" 2010 Worlds? How could they hate the competition where they won their first World Gold??? Doesn't sound like them. :think:

Thanks Golden. I figured that was what was going on.

And I believe Mrs. P and/or others have made the point elsewhere that Jason and Kori presumably will never have any problem staying motivated to take an alternate slot seriously.
Until Lysacek withdrew from Skate America, Jason was only the alternate. He capitalized on the opportunity at Skate America by placing second in the SP .... which led to a bronze at TEB, which led to ... etc., etc.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Takahashi will go even if it's not in Japan.

He might continue competitive skating after all
http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi2014/figureskate/news/p-sochi-tp0-20140215-1257794.html

Actually Takahashi has never mentioned about retirement in a definite way.
He always said "this could be my last season."
How long does it take to recover from this injury? If he decides to continue, even only for one more season, probably he should skip this worlds and try to come back strong and healthy next season.

Becki

Medalist
How long does it take to recover from this injury? If he decides to continue, even only for one more season, probably he should skip this worlds and try to come back strong and healthy next season.

I think Takahashi wants to end his competitive career in Japan at Worlds. I doubt he will continue for another season.

Kinga

Medalist
Oh please, no DW and VM at worlds, I want to see Hubbel/Donohue and Gilles/Poirier!

Me too!

On the other hand, I would like Jeremy to go. I guess the Olys showed that if he skates clean or almost clean, he can medal. Why not try it again, the last time? ;) Or am I a fool? ;)

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Oh please, no DW and VM at worlds, I want to see Hubbel/Donohue and Gilles/Poirier!

As I posted in response to this question in the Olympic thread, I get the sense that Skate Canada and others in Canadian dance assume V&M probably won't go to Worlds.

G&P took a short break after coming home from 4 Continents, but then started training again in case they get the call to Worlds to replace V&M.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I really hope Patrick Chan goes. Both Hanyu and Chan can redeem themselves and it would be so interesting to see a PROPER head to head battle.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Chan doesn't sound very enthusiastic about going so far, but I guess we'll see how he feels by the time he gets back home.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I wonder if Chan vs Hanyu could really be the re-battle people hope it would be. I'd like both of them to redeem themselves too, but with all the media hype alone it will be tough, and worlds is not exactly that far away anymore. Especially for Chan, he might have trouble to motivate himself since worlds is in Japan - he was the top dog for 3 years, and then Hanyu came along and the scoring at the Olympics makes it look like clean Hanyu would beat him no matter what he does. How high are his chances of beating Hanyu in Japan? And I'm not sure he feels a silver would be worth it. Hanyu will definitly go to worlds, but with him already needing a rest before the Gala, I'm a little afraid. I doubt he's going to skate his best at worlds either.

Daisuke will definitly go (same for Machida). I have no idea about Abbott... IMO, the american man who deserves it the most is Brown, but I see why Aaron would deserve the worlds spot too. So to be completly honest, I'd actually like Abbott to withdraw and let his Olympic performances be a good ending note, as he actually did what he always had trouble with: fighting trough a mistake in the SP and skating a clean LP. It's not as if I dislike him or want to wish him ill, I just want it a little more for the two other guys. I doubt his chances at a medal are that good either, with all the 3 japanese men having home field advantage, Ten proofing 2013 worlds wasn't a fluke and Fernandez probably trying to get back on the podium after he lost the bronze here due to stupid Zayak rules (plus Chan if he goes, obviously). That all said, I guess he'll go and we won't see Jason in Japan.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I wonder if Chan vs Hanyu could really be the re-battle people hope it would be. I'd like both of them to redeem themselves too, but with all the media hype alone it will be tough, and worlds is not exactly that far away anymore. Especially for Chan, he might have trouble to motivate himself since worlds is in Japan - he was the top dog for 3 years, and then Hanyu came along and the scoring at the Olympics makes it look like clean Hanyu would beat him no matter what he does. How high are his chances of beating Hanyu in Japan? And I'm not sure he feels a silver would be worth it. Hanyu will definitly go to worlds, but with him already needing a rest before the Gala, I'm a little afraid. I doubt he's going to skate his best at worlds either.

Daisuke will definitly go (same for Machida). I have no idea about Abbott... IMO, the american man who deserves it the most is Brown, but I see why Aaron would deserve the worlds spot too. So to be completly honest, I'd actually like Abbott to withdraw and let his Olympic performances be a good ending note, as he actually did what he always had trouble with: fighting trough a mistake in the SP and skating a clean LP. It's not as if I dislike him or want to wish him ill, I just want it a little more for the two other guys. I doubt his chances at a medal are that good either, with all the 3 japanese men having home field advantage, Ten proofing 2013 worlds wasn't a fluke and Fernandez probably trying to get back on the podium after he lost the bronze here due to stupid Zayak rules (plus Chan if he goes, obviously). That all said, I guess he'll go and we won't see Jason in Japan.
That's true. Who knows what their condition will be after such a grueling Olympics. We may see a World Champion that no-one expects. -How exciting!