2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

emma

Record Breaker
Urgh....sorry to hear about Akiko. Was the injury there during the Olympics? Makes me sad - I would have loved to see her retire on home turf (and you know, selfish me, to see just one more competitive skate from her).

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I see a post about Ten above.. I heard he wasn't going because of his tough season with injuries, but maybe he's changed his mind..

centerpt1

On the Ice
I'm not sure Jeremy is a lock for Worlds. He intends to go- but he had an injury- that takes time to heal, and there's not much time. I doubt we will know for sure until he is back on the ice training. Will he be able to get all his jumps back before Worlds?

So don't worry, Jeremy-haters, you may still get your wish.

bunnychan

Rinkside
Question: how accurate is the wiki page really? I haven't seen anything on the ISU page or the official site so I'm just curious where the info on the wiki is coming from.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Question: how accurate is the wiki page really? I haven't seen anything on the ISU page or the official site so I'm just curious where the info on the wiki is coming from.

You can't ever trust wikipedia. I can change it right now to say that Dick Button is making a surprise comeback if I wanted to. :laugh:

If they don't quote a separate source, it may or may not be accurate. (Heck, it may be inaccurate if they DO quote another source.)

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada

It's possible it comes from the original entries & alternates list that each skating federation may have submitted to the ISU for Worlds earlier this season.

But you're right that the official Worlds website doesn't yet have any skaters entered yet:

http://wfc2014.jp/english/index.html

I assume that will change over the next week or so. The Olympics just ended yesterday so once skaters get back home and figure out their plans with their federations, the entries will presumably appear.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
drivingmissdaisy said:
Her marks aren't going anywhere. The ISU is fully behind her, Julia, and Gracie.

It's funny how people seem to forget that Adelina has always gotten great scores. Russian inflatation at the Olympics or not, Adelina got good scores already the seasons before, and it was always clear that if she'd get her act together, she'd be the best lady around minus the top 3 of Mao, Caro and Yuna. With Yuna definitly retired, Adelina will very likely make the worlds podium if she can skate like she did at the Olympics.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Agreed. He can do much better than that. I want him to have a clean FS. I like the R&J program very much and I want to see it without mistakes at least once.
I want more than that just "without mistakes" :-D

I want to see it both clean AND with the expression/emotion/passion he put into it at GPF! :-D

BTW, he has landed the 4S in his FS... at Finlandia Trophy, at the beginning of the season, October 2013. Clean sheet there, except for an edge violation on his 3F... but -GOE for 3Lz and 3A... and he really wasn't at all ready to put his expression/emotion/passion into it at that time.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada

I don't know where the Wiki information came from, but I notice that a lot of the entries there have now been deleted. There is now nothing listed for Canada like there was a few days ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_World_Figure_Skating_Championships

Perhaps that makes sense since Skate Canada's page has no entries under the Assignments section yet:

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/athletes/internationalassignments.aspx

deedee1

Record Breaker
I'm not going.

Well, I'm going! :)

As for Akiko and Daisuke: from what I've read/watched various news so far, while they want to compete there, in front of their home crowds one last time, it's not confirmed yet: it depends on how well they can recover from injuries respectively in time for the worlds, since they also have to remind themselves before decision that their undesirable lower placements (due to competing while injuried) might affect securing three spots for Japan next season...just thinking of if they are to miss the worlds, skating fans in Japan never able to see them skate again, and/or can't even say goodbye to them...makes me really :cry::cry:

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, I'm going! :)

As for Akiko and Daisuke: from what I've read/watched various news so far, while they want to compete there, in front of their home crowds one last time, it's not confirmed yet: it depends on how well they can recover from injuries respectively in time for the worlds, since they also have to remind themselves before decision that their undesirable lower placements (due to competing while injuried) might affect securing three spots for Japan next season...just thinking of if they are to miss the worlds, skating fans in Japan never able to see them skate again, and/or can't even say goodbye to them...makes me really :cry::cry:

I agree that it would be truly sad not to be able to see them compete one final time. World's would be the poorer for it. But, thankfully, hopefully Japanese fans will get to see them skate many, many times... in shows! At least Japan is a country in which skating shows are alive and well! Obviously I know that you know that ;) - but I just wanted to point to such a cheerful fact. :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Meryl and Charlie were on the Today Show this morning and skated a short version of their SD. It was so cold outside that Meryl kept her
fleece jacket on as they skated. Before they skated they were asked about the future and Charlie answered (paraphrasing here) Worlds
was coming up but that they had not made a decision about attending but they did confirm that they would be skating in SOI!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I do find it funny how skaters like Chan, Aliona and Robin, and others who almost never skate cleanly like to potray themselves as if they do, and that a competition with 1 or 2 falls is so far below their usual standard. Sorry I couldnt help but say that when reading something like that. Since the throw triple axel is almost an automatic fall for S&S, they had only one real mistake over the 2 programs which for them is in fact better than they often do. Unfortunately for them S&K were lights out and had their best competition ever to date.

I would like to see S&S go to Worlds and have a rare competition like the GPF where they do 2 clean programs and possibly even end their careers with a 5th World title should V&T be a bit tired/flat after the Games. That would really cement them in history even without an OGM.

It is funny to hear Takahashi now might even continue past this season. Never saw that coming.

Truthfully what man is all that consistent other than bygones Plushy to a point in the end Evan. Hanyu recently is great at the short GPF, Nationals, Team event and oly individaul but really with the men trying to up their skating skills, transitions and jumps no one is all that consistent. Hanyu is known to falter in the long, Enough about Chan who stumbles and falls on the axel and something near the end, in the ladies you really only have Yuna as the baby Russian ballerinas can't even figure out who is no. 1 in their own nation, I hope Dai isn't another Fumie - he is already starting to fade injuries or otherwise and his free skate this year was no marvel musically or program like usual.

noskates

Record Breaker
Have to agree with SkaterBoy. I think until quads became such a big thing that many of the men were more than capable of hitting strong and clean programs. Not so much anymore. I personally wish they'd outlaw the jump(s) because it always detracts from the programs. I realize the quad isn't the issue with Patrick but I thought the men's long program overall at the Olys was as bad as any I've ever seen....and I blame it on the pressure to do those big jumps. But I do disagree with you on Dai's Oly program. I was never a fan of Daisuke's but I thoroughly enjoyed his long program and would love for that to be the last I see of him. I loved the music, his costumer, the choreography... He's been a great competitor. Maybe it wasn't the way he usually attacked a program but it was pleasing to me. And his hair didn't look like he'd stuck his finger in a light socket. I also enjoyed Brian Joubert - and never thought I'd say that.

Why is it so hard for these people to acknowledge "the end!" I don't have any great expectations for Worlds and would only get excited about them if I thought Jason would be skating RiverDance again.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
^Doesn't mean a thing. Adelina and S/S are also touring with Art on Ice and S/S already confirmed that they go to Worlds.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Meryl and Charlie were on the Today Show this morning and skated a short version of their SD. It was so cold outside that Meryl kept her
fleece jacket on as they skated. Before they skated they were asked about the future and Charlie answered (paraphrasing here) Worlds
was coming up but that they had not made a decision about attending but they did confirm that they would be skating in SOI!

Oh REALLY they said they are not sure about Worlds??? Strange. I thought in their interviews after Sochi they did say they were going... I was nearly certain they said it in the one with Michelle Kwan at least, and possibly some others.