2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
D/W might be waiting for their offers for DWTS, gotta strike while the iron is hot! If they compete (against each other) on that show, that would conflict with training for Worlds.

Cast to be announced on GMA on March 7th.

mskater93

Record Breaker
While I'd prefer Jason to go and not Jeremy, this is a different situation than Flatt's or Czisny's. He is fully healthy but just not a consistent competitor. The USFSA awarded him the spot although they didn't have to. I hope this blows up in their face so they finally decide to make better decisions about assigning skaters to important events.
Actually, they DID for Worlds. National Champion gets automatic berth to Worlds unless declined.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy
While I'd prefer Jason to go and not Jeremy, this is a different situation than Flatt's or Czisny's. He is fully healthy but just not a consistent competitor. The USFSA awarded him the spot although they didn't have to. I hope this blows up in their face so they finally decide to make better decisions about assigning skaters to important events.

Jeremy has beaten both Max and Jason at GP events and at nationals. Two US men have beaten Jeremy this season, Joshua at Skate Canada and Jason at Olympics. Adam has beaten Jason once and Max twice at GP's and lost to both at nationals. Max has beaten Jason at Skate America and lost to him at nationals. Joshua was 4th at nationals and Adam 8th... … so who is consistent?

Actually, they DID for Worlds. National Champion gets automatic berth to Worlds unless declined.

Nothing to discuss then, GO Jeremy :laugh:

ETA fact-change thanks to golden411

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jeremy has beaten both Max and Jason at GP events and at nationals. Two US men have beaten Jeremy this season, Joshua at Skate Canada and Jason at Olympics. Adam has beaten Jason once and Max twice at GP's and lost to both at nationals. Max has beaten Jason at two GP's and lost to him at nationals. Joshua was 4th at nationals and Adam 8th... … so who is consistent?

Thx, snowflake -- good analysis of the ups and downs of all U.S. men.
(Minor fact-check that does not dilute your point at all: Max beat Jason at one GP, Skate America. Max's second GP was NHK; Jason's was TEB.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My understanding that the Worlds automatic bid was not in effect either for the Olympic year. But I could be wrong.

FWIW:

Jason's international scores (rounded up):
SP: 79/84/85/86 (Average 83.5)
FS (including team event): 149/147/158/153/152 (151.8)
Overall: 228/231/243/238 (235)

Jeremy's international scores (rounded up):
SP (including team event): 75/78/66/73 (73)
FS: 141/159/160 (153.3)
Overall: 215/237/232 (228)

Max's international scores (rouded up):
SP: 81/76/76 (77.7)
FS: 158/162/147 (155.7)
Overall: 239/238/223 (233)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thx, snowflake -- good analysis of the ups and downs of all U.S. men.
(Minor fact-check that does not dilute your point at all: Max beat Jason at one GP, Skate America. Max's second GP was NHK; Jason's was TEB.)

aargh, I knew I would get something wrong... too many turns :laugh:

Terri

Rinkside
^Doesn't mean a thing. Adelina and S/S are also touring with Art on Ice and S/S already confirmed that they go to Worlds.

That's a tough schedule. Touring in Europe a week before Worlds in Japan, coming off of the Olympics in Russia.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Her marks aren't going anywhere. The ISU is fully behind her, Julia, and Gracie.

Maybe, but I doubt (hoping with all my might) that their PCS will be at 74.5, 70, and 68.5. Hopefully, depending on how they actually skate we'll get the more reasonable 65-67 for Yulia/Gracie and possibly 68/69 max for Adelina. Also if Mao and Carolina are going to be there they'll receive 70-72.

Also, regarding the poster who said Adelina always high marks outside of Russia: With a only one mistake on a jump combination and on one spin in the LP, a squeaky clean SP, and already massively inflated PCS Adelina barely broke 200, a score that was already over 25 points higher than her previous best in all three GP events, granted she had several mistakes that she cleaned up for the FS, but her SP was always very clean. Judging from what she received then, I would say that going completely clean she would receive 70/71 max for the SP, and 134/135 max in the LP. Especially considering Amano is the caller.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Oh REALLY they said they are not sure about Worlds??? Strange. I thought in their interviews after Sochi they did say they were going... I was nearly certain they said it in the one with Michelle Kwan at least, and possibly some others.

If D&W decide not to go to Worlds, maybe V&M will end up going. ;)

Anyway, seems like there is a lot of confusion and uncertainty as to who is going. Turns out a lot of these skaters who announced they were retiring or who would be going to Worlds might now be changing their minds!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't blame them. The crowd at Sochi was unpleasant enough for the ladies and Dancers that they probably would want a better memory for their last competition.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
But if D&W go, it won't be fun for V&M to likely place 2nd again. I also kind of wonder what type of discussions V&M are having with Marina after their comments in Sochi!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, it would be interesting to know.

However, they got their levels in the individual event, except for that 3rd key point in the first Finnstep sequence that so many teams missed. They did a nice job with both programs. There's a point where you have got to say the coach did her job. She is not responsible for the judges, and you can't expect her to create crap for D&W, nor to give them bad advice either. I do wonder how they thought Marina could insure their win? Especially given that Scott has had back/neck problems that likely affected the amount of time it took this season to settle on stable choices for their lifts, not to mention the care I suspect they need to take to insure that Tessa does not damage her legs again due to over-training.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
But if D&W go, it won't be fun for V&M to likely place 2nd again. I also kind of wonder what type of discussions V&M are having with Marina after their comments in Sochi!

As I think you know, 2010 Worlds was not a carbon copy of 2010 Vancouver. Davis/White won the small gold medal for the FD at 2010 Worlds, although Virtue/Moir won the overall event.
If Virtue/Moir still have the fire in their bellies to compete in Japan -- with no guarantees of the outcome either way -- I take my hat off to them.

parma

On the Ice
I can't wait to see how committed ISU is with Sotnikova's Oly score. Hope she can perform the same way without the two-footing as she did at Sochi. Are they gonna give her the highest score ever in women's LP?