2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate | Page 101 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

Nater

Match Penalty
In any part of the world Sotnikova wouldn't win this competition, Because her PCS (You know, Her skills and art) while nice, Are just not up to par with the greats

And you guys keep talking about BV, When even without the triple, They were only 4 points apart

You people keep talking about PCS, when she could have scored ~4 points less PCS and still won the FS... How about that?

chairmanmao

Final Flight
The gloating of Yuna fans is truly mindboggling. I'm glad the judges finally gave her mediocre spins the scores they deserve. Stay pressed Adelina haters!

bekalc

Record Breaker
My issues with those complaining about Kim. Is Sotnikova's technical elements are quality, quality. Her jumps are huge, and are going to get high GOE, and got high GOE from every judge not just the Eastern European ones. In terms of jumps, Kim's 3salchow (which was two of her jumps) are hardly the best in the field or of the same quality as her toe jumps.

She's a better spinner than Kim and Kostner. I also think that her spirals are absolutely better than Kim's....

So the question becomes how much can you really keep Sotnikova down PCS wise.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well I'm part of the rest of the world and I'm not enraged. More in bemusement at some of the outlandish reactions from people hell bent on finding controversy.
I live in a tropical country, so apparently I also belong to the rest of the world that is not enraged. Got to buy popcorn for the next 4 years.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Nater, don't get so worked up. Most people do not understand the technical scoring. They only see a beautiful performance and are immediately convinced that should beat another whom they think is ugly / not to their taste. That used to be the case in the 6.0 days where lovelier, soft skaters trumped the athletic ones. Think Kwan, Cohen vs Ito, Slutskaya despite the lovelier skaters lower technical contents. Issue here is casual watchers do not understand the scoring system well enough. In the Sochi case here, I agree with you that Sotnikova win hands down versus Yuna on the TES. Where the true controversy lies is the PCS where I still think Sot was overscored in both SP and FS.

Actuyally, It's much easier to understand the technical scoring and do 3rd grade math, Than to actually understand the value of skating skills, Flow, Posture, Choreography, Timing, Blade control,

All of those could be phoned in much more easily in scoring than the technical aspect if you're looking to get a score of your liking .

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Some of you would get your point across a lot better if you didn't resort to calling other posters names or insulting their intelligence. Just saying.

Spinerette

On the Ice
Oh give it a break. Ashley Wagner is outspoken but she has mirrored every word that has been said in this thread. She's not wrong, and she's not saying she was robbed of a medal. She KNEW she wouldn't get one, but she felt her experienced was "Gypped" b/c of the unfair scoring. I'm sure a lot of other skaters feel the same.

I have never been an Ashley fan but for once she skated well and she was not rewarded. Go Ashley, speak your mind girl. Ashley is an insider in this sport of course she knows what she's talking about. She was there for god sake's. She received lower marks than Julia in the sp even though she fell, LOL at this sport.

Nater

Match Penalty
My issues with those complaining about Kim. Is Sotnikova's technical elements are quality, quality. Her jumps are huge, and are going to get high GOE, and got high GOE from every judge not just the Eastern European ones. In terms of jumps, Kim's 3salchow (which was two of her jumps) are hardly the best in the field or of the same quality as her toe jumps.

She's a better spinner than Kim and Kostner. I also think that her spirals are absolutely better than Kim's....

So the question becomes how much can you really keep Sotnikova down PCS wise.

Apparently as much as it takes for her to not beat the skaters they're rooting for.

And I blame the judges for it as the fans have gotten used to skaters being held down for 3-5 years while veterans drop off and they "wait their turn."

That needs to go. Skaters need to be scored for what they do on the ice, not what they do with a handicap for their longevity and reputation to be taken into account. That is the only reason why Kim's Components like Skating Skills and Transitions (and even CH/IN or Perf/Exec) are so ridiculously high at this point. Those programs did not expire They were forgettable.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But it's more fun to call people names Mrs. P! Stop being an adult!

I'm not really that much of an adult ;) Still fangirl with the best of them even well into my early-30s. :)

But it goes without saying. A cool, calculated analysis supporting your point DOES go a long way.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Apparently as much as it takes for her to not beat the skaters they're rooting for.

And I blame the judges for it as the fans have gotten used to skaters being held down for 3-5 years while veterans drop off and they "wait their turn."

That needs to go. Skaters need to be scored for what they do on the ice, not what they do with a handicap for their longevity and reputation to be taken into account. That is the only reason why Kim's Components like Skating Skills and Transitions (and even CH/IN or Perf/Exec) are so ridiculously high at this point. Those programs did not expire They were forgettable.

To you. There are a lot of skaters (and others) who don't agree with you. Plenty of tweets saying that Yuna's programs were great. But hey, YMMV.

Nater

Match Penalty
I have never been an Ashley fan but for once she skated well and she was not rewarded. Go Ashley, speak your mind girl. Ashley is an insider in this sport of course she knows what she's talking about. She was there for god sake's. She received lower marks than Julia in the sp even though she fell, LOL at this sport.

Julia fell on a fully rotated Triple Flip.

Wagner got a << on her triple toe loop on the back end of her combination. That drug the value of the flip jump down with it (GOE on the entire combination). Additionally, Wagner's spins are terrible compared to Julia and she skates like she has Ankle Weights on.

I don't think many people were surprised that Julia scored so high. Her components went from 7s to 8s to almost 9s throughout the season, while Wagner's have stayed stagnant.

Wagner just isn't that great of a skater, and part of the reason why people were pissed Mirai was hosed was precicely because Ashley simply isn't that good and wasn't a medal thread. So, why not just give the berth to the skater that outskated her at Nationals instead of crushing dreams for false hopes... That was the whole point of that "controversy."

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Same could be said of Yuna Kim and her phoned-in programs. I don't even get how the choreography had anything to do with her music. Yuna is all arms. She had barely any transitions and she skated around the rink like a speed skater in predominantly one direction doing cross overs between her telegraphed jumps.

Quote me where I said, gave the impression, or inferred any skater was perfection. I can quote a hundred people from this forum saying that about Yuna. My post history is not vast, so it should not take much time to look through it.

I dare you.

Same could be said of Yuna Kim and her phoned-in programs. (Your definitions need some adequate elaboration without malicious subjectivity) I don't even get how the choreography had anything to do with her music. ( I begin to suspect your understanding of figure skating itself) Yuna is all arms.( Although you might not Kim's fan, this shows you are determined to shut yourself off anything about her. In this kind of attitude one seldom can be productive for himself or others) She had barely any transitions (Please know what the transitions mean and why it matters and what it serves, then you won't comment this any more)first and she skated around the rink like a speed skater ( then how can you justify at least Adelina's GOEs unless the judges use them for a pretext of their ample GOEs) in predominantly one direction doing cross overs between her telegraphed jumps (This also directs your antagonism against Kim, not figure skating analysis).Quote me where I said, gave the impression, or inferred any skater was perfection. I can quote a hundred people from this forum saying that about Yuna. My post history is not vast, so it should not take much time to look through it.

I dare you (This is unnecessary. We are here for talk not fight)

Nater

Match Penalty
To you. There are a lot of skaters (and others) who don't agree with you. Plenty of tweets saying that Yuna's programs were great. But hey, YMMV.

And there are some that disagree with them... Everyone has an opinion, and everyone's MMV.

Nater

Match Penalty
Same could be said of Yuna Kim and her phoned-in programs. (Your definitions need some adequate elaboration without malicious subjectivity) I don't even get how the choreography had anything to do with her music. ( I begin to suspect your understanding of figure skating itself) Yuna is all arms.( Although you might not Kim's fan, this shows you are determined to shut yourself off anything about her. In this kind of attitude one seldom can be productive for himself or others) She had barely any transitions (Please know what the transitions mean and why it matters and what it serves, then you won't comment this any more)first and she skated around the rink like a speed skater ( then how can you justify at least Adelina's GOEs unless the judges use them for a pretext of their ample GOEs) in predominantly one direction doing cross overs between her telegraphed jumps (This also directs your antagonism against Kim, not figure skating analysis).Quote me where I said, gave the impression, or inferred any skater was perfection. I can quote a hundred people from this forum saying that about Yuna. My post history is not vast, so it should not take much time to look through it.

I dare you (This is unnecessary. We are here for talk not fight)

You people are good at flipping the script. Please read the post that I responded to, and then think about it. If that wasn't in reply to you, then why are you replying for someone else. It's confusing and it's too hard to go back and double check because this forum is super slow.