2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

Krislite

Medalist
But IIRC, Adelina did 2 of clean-ish LPs in a row recently.

She's been more often a headcase in the LP especially when under pressure. How many people insist on projecting the future based on one competition or two? Didn't Yulia's SP result bring any common sense back? :rolleye:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
If Carolina is clean, she will win
Yuna' Freeskate, that adios nino is terrible and falls flat

Elaine

On the Ice
She's been more often a headcase in the LP especially when under pressure. How many people insist on projecting the future based on one competition or two? Didn't Yulia's SP result bring any common sense back? :rolleye:

When were those? The only one I know of is Russian Nationals (and she still lost the LP there to Julia).

Sorry, My mistake. I thought she did a clean-ish program at Euros as well as at Russian Nats. I checked it again and nope, it wasn't that clean.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Whoever skates the cleanest will win! Anything can happen!

I know people have their preferences but if it's the right winner, please accept it and not spend hours whining about it (like certain people here). The anti-whatever great skater BS is just... nasty!

samson

Medalist
WOW. That draw is insane. Yuna skating last will keep the drama going till the bitter end.

I'm glad Mao gets to skate last in her group. I know at this point she'd need the zamboni to start running over skaters to medal, I still want to see her have some redemption.

Seeing this draw, I have never been happier that Gracie has Frank as her coach. If Adelina goes clean that arena will burst into flames and Gracie is going to need his experience to help her.

It's also interesting to see Carolina skating between the Russians. She followed Julia tonight so it might be a non issue for her, but the energy from the Russian audience is just insane. That's something about Russians... they know how to change the energy of a room at the drop of a hat. Having lived in Moscow to study theater I think I can say that with some authority ;)

I think 5th is a good spot for Ashley.

I'll be amused to hear Scott and Sandra's commentary for all this. Histrionics to be sure!

lupojohn

On the Ice
WOW. That draw is insane. Yuna skating last will keep the drama going till the bitter end.

I'm glad Mao gets to skate last in her group. I know at this point she'd need the zamboni to start running over skaters to medal, I still want to see her have some redemption.

Seeing this draw, I have never been happier that Gracie has Frank as her coach. If Adelina goes clean that arena will burst into flames and Gracie is going to need his experience to help her.

It's also interesting to see Carolina skating between the Russians. She followed Julia tonight so it might be a non issue for her, but the energy from the Russian audience is just insane. That's something about Russians... they know how to change the energy of a room at the drop of a hat. Having lived in Moscow to study theater I think I can say that with some authority ;)

I think 5th is a good spot for Ashley.

I'll be amused to hear Scott and Sandra's commentary for all this. Histrionics to be sure!

You can watch it live at 10am on NBCSN.

vegarin

On the Ice
Yuna skating last? That is crazy.

So, it's basically Yuna and Caro sandwiched by two young Russians and Americans in the final flight, huh? Figures.

fahrenheit290

Rinkside
Cohen was the winner until she fell.

I just really can see Kostner pulling out a win, and the other two ladies faltering, be it through falls (the Russian) or just not skating with passion or artistry (Kim). Of course, Sasha would have won had she skated cleanly--probably the most gorgeous figure skater I've seen (I really miss her spirals). Arakawa was on fire in practices and even hit a triple-triple-triple combination, but everyone was talking about Sasha and Irina then. The result was someone relatively unexpected, but in great form in that moment taking the gold. That could happen tomorrow.

I wonder if we'll see a controversial finish. When was the last time a gold-medal winner was relatively (or highly) disputed in the ladies' competition?

Crylais

Rinkside
Well my podium prediction is now

1. Kim Yuna
2. Carolina Kostner
3. Adeline Sotnikova

Kostner's program is better than Sotnikova so I put her above. I think Sotnikova's slight overs core will allow her to scrape bronze medal

It previously was

1. Kim Yuna
2. Mao Asada
3. Julia Lipnitskaia

I don't see Mao getting a medal even if say she broke Yuna's record unfortunately. She has to much ground to make (20 points)

As for Julia I think the pressure got to her. She will probably place 4th

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Now that "all of Russia's hopes" are upon Sotnikova, I don't see tomorrow going well for her. I bet the pressure will get to her. Conversely, now that Russia thinks Lipnitskaya has no hope, she'll bang out a perfect program. I really wouldn't be shocked if Julia still makes the podium, 10 points or not.

I'm still hoping Kostner can pull this off somehow, but we'll see. I've been a fan of hers since before Torino. I have to stay with her till her retirement. Go Carolina!

I'd most like to see everyone skate clean, in which case I bet it'd stay the same order, but then we'll have 4 years of arguing over everyone's grades of execution and PCS. :laugh:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Is it too much to hope that Yuna decides to swap out her tango for Les Miserables again? Or is it too late to make that call? I'd love it if she pulled out last year's performance and put it on Olympic ice. It would be immortal. Anyhow, it's just my wishful thinking.

Loved all three top ladies today. I think if #2-#4 falter or make big mistakes Yulia still has a shot at the podium. I'm very sad and still in shock for all three Japanese ladies.

Manitou

Medalist
As everybody else I didn't expect what happened. On the other hand Costner's performance was easy to predict: her short is spectacular and she always performed it well. Of course, as usual, she won't be able to to hold on to that. So for me, she is out of medal contention. However, I have been always wrong in my predictions, so in reality this is just my wishful thinking. I simply don't want her on the podium.

So for me it's a reluctant admission that gold will go to Yuna. Very reluctant.
Silver is open assuming Carolina will fall apart and I have no idea how well Adelina can hold on. Can Yulia make up the 10 missing points? This will require her best performance ever with help from others. Completely unpredictable. Coin toss.
Anyway, I think Gracie has a lock on the podium already. Which is good.

So in the current circumstances my dream podium is:
1. Yuna
2. Gracie
3. Yulia.

Please, be like that!

And another request to Olympic God: please, make Mikaela win slalom!

fahrenheit290

Rinkside
1994 and 1998 were razor-thin. 2002 was somewhat odd, as well.

Agreed, 2002 was odd, but I think at least in that year and 1998 the best performances of the night won (+ having the technical advantage of triple-triple combinations). I know in 2002, people were a little agitated with the results of the short program, which factored in when the free skates were all over the place and Kwan, Slutskaya, and Cohen fell short.

fahrenheit290

Rinkside
Also, Kwan's camp had to know in 1998 that Lipinski had a triple-triple (x2...with the triple-half loop-triple sal). Why didn't they counter that? Tara had even won the prior year's world championship.

Who was the "queen" in 2006, catija?