Your life depends on one skater to skate well and deliver. Who do you choose? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Your life depends on one skater to skate well and deliver. Who do you choose?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Right now, Julia Lipnitskaya.
In their prime, maybe Yagudin, Plushenko or Irina Rodnina?
Mao when she was 15 was very reliable as well.
Michelle Kwan was reliable, except she did choke at Olympics so as long as I could get the sense that she actually didn't really care about whether I died or not, I would choose Michelle in her prime years.

Michelle didn't "choke" in 1998.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, is that why she did clean LPs in Vancouver Olympics and London Worlds last year? My my, how offensive for the incompetent Yuna to have two of the world's best LP scores ever? How dare she???

Good luck with your hate on Yuna and please root for Yulia all you can, so that she won't embarrass you. :p

I thought the hypothetical was clean program, not high score. Yuna isn't known for her clean long programs. How many are there? 2, maybe 3? If my life is on the line, I'm not picking her or Julia. I'm picking Plushenko or Yagudin or Davis/White.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Short answer: Michelle Kwan.

If it's about jumps being landed at high consistency I'd choose Lipnitskaia, Kwan, Kim, Stojko, Yagudin, Plushenko.

Also, unlike other skaters mentioned, Michelle Kwan will always deliver a great performance regardless of if she's landing her jumps (which, of course, she almost always did). Some mentioned skaters will miss jumping passes and their programs are left with not much, or they mess up on easier jumping passes later on.

If we're talking pairs, I don't know who I'd depend on. Maybe Shen/Zhao, for the same reason, that even with a minor error, their performance will always be stellar, whereas others require jumps landed. I'd be inclined to pick V/T only because they get high marks/placements regardless of how well or poorly they skate. But I think there have been more consistent pairs teams in the past.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Yulia
Then Yuna, if she knew a life was at stake because when she needs to, she has the skate a her life.

But really, how many skaters have gone perfectly clean ever? If we apply the standard of no edge calls, no under-rotations, etc.

dress

On the Ice
interesting choice. Before i saw the answers, i thought of him as probably being the one out of the present skaters. As well, i know that if he screwed up, he would at least feel badly about it and not give me the finger.

lol

campbellka

Rinkside
I'd totally go 100%, all the way, with G&G. Both of their '88 Olympic programs were super-solid, and I just always felt comfortable watching them because I knew they rarely, rarely ever made mistakes.

Dick Button? He was second at his first Worlds in 1947, then won every event he entered thereafter.

ahy

Final Flight
yuna kim, ill include yulia lipnitskaya if she can handle the growth spurt which she probably hasn't gone through yet..

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Right now Yuna Kim maybe Lipnitskaya. I wouldn't pick any of the current men. You said individual soI guess not dance or pairs then.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
yuna kim, ill include yulia lipnitskaya if she can handle the growth spurt which she probably hasn't gone through yet..

She already went through a growth spurt last year of several inches. That's what led to the stumbles on some of her jumps, and why she was injured at TEB and before the GPF causing her to withdraw. If growing several inches doesn't cause her to lose them and she can place in the top three then I doubt anything else can knock her down. Especially with what she delivered for the team event where she had more pressure than ever to compete well for the sake of her country, and at her first Olympics: at home no less.