An End of An Era- Post Olympics Withdrawal Syndrome | Golden Skate

An End of An Era- Post Olympics Withdrawal Syndrome

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
The Olympics haven't even finished yet but I'm already feeling sad and worried what I will do after Sochi. Have a look at this beautiful interview of Nobunari Oda bursting into tears congratulating his long-time rival and team mate Daisuke (and one could argue Nobunari lost the spot to Sochi because of Daisuke, which makes this friendship even more touching)?

I know every Olympics is a farewell to some skaters. But so many of "our" skaters, the familiar faces, seem to be leaving the sport after Sochi.

Who will you miss most after Sochi? How are you going to deal with the POWS?!

Mine is definitely Daisuke. He got me hooked into men's skating. I became a fan of his and his rivals. I went to see him at Vancouver and Nice. No other skater has got me so emotionally invested. And he seems like such a humble, genuine and honourable person. And I don't know what I'll do without him in the sport!

And did you see this link posted in the men's LP thread? Joubert was the jock of the sport. The hot guy who skates to the same music with the same moves with those quads. The fighter. Fan or not, he was always there. And no longer.

I could go on but I'm interested to hear about yours...

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Aw, hikki. This is all so true. Of course, I also will be most sad for Daisuke. He is just THE one for me, and I don't think this feeling will ever come back. This season is hard, because I just don't see any wonderful exiting skater that will hold my attention that can compare. I might watch one or two competitions in the years to come but with Dai, S/S, Mao, Yuna, Akiko, Kanako, Brian ect. gone I see myself loosing interest very soon. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Definitely S/S... they never won ogm, but they were really special and really contributed to the sport. They'll be remembered as legends. And Yuna... at least I have youtube to watch perormances again T.T

Barb

Record Breaker
Mao :cry: . I will following to Yuzu, Adelina, Julia, Gracie and the Shibs but it won't be the same :no:

Seruleane

Final Flight
The Olympics haven't even finished yet but I'm already feeling sad and worried what I will do after Sochi. Have a look at this beautiful interview of Nobunari Oda bursting into tears congratulating his long-time rival and team mate Daisuke (and one could argue Nobunari lost the spot to Sochi because of Daisuke, which makes this friendship even more touching)?

I know every Olympics is a farewell to some skaters. But so many of "our" skaters, the familiar faces, seem to be leaving the sport after Sochi.

Who will you miss most after Sochi? How are you going to deal with the POWS?!

Mine is definitely Daisuke. He got me hooked into men's skating. I became a fan of him and his rivals. I went to see him at Vancouver and Nice. No other skater has got me so emotionally invested. And he seems like such a humble, genuine and honourable person. And I don't know what I'll do without him in the sport!

And did you see this link posted in the men's LP thread? Joubert was the jock of the sport. The hot guy who skates to the same music with the same moves with those quads. The fighter. Fan or not, he was always there. And no longer.

I could go on but I'm interested to hear about yours...

Daisuke's my favorite too! Can anyone provide a translation of the interview with the 3 skaters? I feel a bit sorry for Machida, getting lost in the mix b/c he's not a medal winner or an old fan favorite like Daisuke. Hope he has a big fan base in Japan too!

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Tessa and Scott. After Navka/Kostomarov retired, I didn't watch the ice dance competition until WC 2008 when I fell in love with these two beautiful skaters. Now I think I'll take another break. Maybe I take it too personally, but for me, ice dance won't be the same without them, without their attention to details, without the way they smile to each other. They created a magical atmosphere when they skated. Each time I'll see new, young skaters I'll compare them to V/M.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Takahashi, Abbott, Chan (if he retires), D/W, Akiko. Won't miss Yuna or Mao. It's time to pass the torch to a new generation.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'll miss Mao, and I'm sad because she has worked so hard for 5 years and has never regained the jump consistency she had in 2008 when she could do the 3A and a number of 3-3s.

MaureenKB

Rinkside
What I regret is that so many of my favorites are retiring and that we don't have any pro competitions or decent shows here is the US. I look forward to see what Jeremy, SS and other do in the future. Hopefully, there will be videos of the shows and tours in Europe and Asia.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
I'll miss Mao, and I'm sad because she has worked so hard for 5 years and has never regained the jump consistency she had in 2008 when she could do the 3A and a number of 3-3s.

It's wishful thinking but I've always wondered it would have been like she was old enough to skate at the Olympics in 2006. Or if she had stayed with Artunian or another technical coach instead of going to Tarasova? Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing her show skating if she decides to pursue that.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Above else I'll miss Davis / White and Virtue / Moir pushing each other. They are the two teams that have gotten me interested in ice dance, just won't be the same without them.

desertskates

Medalist
I'm making a promise to myself to take the time and to learn more about the technical aspects of ice dance. Then I will be looking forward to see how it all plays out in Gracie/Ashley-Ashley/Gracie land. I love Yuzu, I hope he grows stronger over the years. I'll hope to see Kiira Korpi return. And how will Mirai turn her whole experience into a plan of action?
I'll miss Yuna, Mao, Akiko, Carolina (if she goes), and Tomas Verner.

And don't get too bummed after the Olympics, we still have worlds :)

slider11

Medalist
I thought the retirement of Michelle Kwan would put a real damper on the women's field but that didn't happen. As much as I will truly miss Dais, Yuna, Savenchenko and Solkowy, and definitely Davis and white and Virture and Moir, there are fresh legs in the wings. I appreciate when "stars" go out gracefully - on the top- and don't wait to be pushed. I appreciate what Abbott put out in his long program. It was beautiful and the event was memorable even with his terrible fall in the short. His perserverance in the short was remarkable. Sadly, his profane laced comments later were a detraction to an otherwise classy guy. Too bad.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Besides all these ones mentioned, I will miss Pechalat and Bourzat greatly. I've been a big fan since the 2010 Olympics, and was sort of a fan before that, too. They really bring/brought originality and creativity.. I wish Fabian had been a bit better technically.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
I will bawl my eyes out. This truly is an end of an era.

Fate was kind after Vancouver, we did not say goodbye to so many big names. Now... I'm gonna have to look for new favourites in all disciplines, let go of many skating loves I've adored for years, build my love for skating as it is all over again.

First off, I will be broken by the loss of Meryl and Charlie :cry: my second all-time favourite dance team.

Then S/S. They truly took pairs skating to a whole new level, with their beautifully constructed programs and their ambition to push themselves even further.

Daisuke, Brian, Tomas. Brian in particular, since it feels like he's been around forever. He's also the one I used to be fangirling about to the most riddiculous extent back when I was a teen.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of her, I will miss Carolina, she's been around for a long time as well and she was such a nice change from the Russian ladies dominating the European field. Her basics will truly be missed.
If she's retiring, Mao. You can't help but miss a girl with a triple axel.

P/B, the last of the big name French dance teams.

V/M, even though I don't even like them. But without V/M and D/W ice dancing will definitely lose a lot of its charm. In ice dancing the end of an era will be the most visible and the most painful.