Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Evan Lysacek- one of the most boring Olympic champions to watch EVER, impressive technically but has no real connection with the music (arm flailing and high kicks don't count)

agreed. exhibit a of why a good body of work in figure skating is more important than a gold medal.

what's the cheeto even doing now anyway?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Since the talk is about Lysacek at the moment...

The name means "little lollipop" in slavic languages.

Nope. The surname is Czech, and is derived not from the root liz- which is lick, but from lys- which means bald. It has nothing to do with lollipop.The Wiki entry on Czech surnames lists this surname under 'Surnames derived from a bodily part or feature'. One thing you're right about, though, is that the surname is a diminutive form of Lysak. So, 'little bald fellow' would possibly be the closest translation. ;)

Violet

Rinkside
I am a very generous person and I would always like to focus on the strength of each skater. So there's only one person that I cannot stand.

Evgeni Plushenko

He tends to ignore the music for most part of the program, which is absolutely fine for me. But what I cannot stand is for some parts, he actually "over-performs", adding movements that are NOT proper interpretation of the music AT ALL. It's always OK for me when a skater ONLY focuses on the technical side of skating and skates like a robot but it's not OK when people make extremely inappropriate and affected movements. "Over-do" something many times is even worse than "under-perform".

skateluver

Rinkside
Davis & White. They are great technically and I like their programs, so it took me a long time to figure out why I didn't like them. It is because esthetically they don't look good together. Her head is too big compared to his.
Carolina Kostner. Not my cup of tea. I don't get her amazing speed and her programs in Sochi this year were pretentiously artistic. + sometimes it is good not to smile.
Julia Lipnitskaia. Too childlike and in her case sometimes it would be good to smile. I have to admit she is kind of growing on me.
Rachel Flatt. Can't pinpoint.
Kiira Korpi. Too much noise over nothing. The other Finnish girl Laura Lepisto was much better.
Ekaterina Bobrova. Bad posture and it is difficult, unless impossible to fix at this point. I like her partner.
Ashley Wagner. I used to like her a lot. However, this year her skating didn't seem to be developing while everyone else upped their game for the Olys + her comments etc have started to annoy me.

moviechick

On the Ice
Davis & White. They are great technically and I like their programs, so it took me a long time to figure out why I didn't like them. It is because esthetically they don't look good together. Her head is too big compared to his.

I had kind of the same reaction, even though obviously it's shallow. But in terms of pairs/ice dance, the chemistry of the partners is a big deal and I just don't see any there in D/W. He looks really child-like with his giant blond fluff and her features are really severe and mature, almost like she's his mean stepmother rather than partner.

skateluver

Rinkside
I totally agree and I don't think it is shallow. In figure skating chemistry and esthetics play a big part, especially in Ice Dance.
I had kind of the same reaction, even though obviously it's shallow. But in terms of pairs/ice dance, the chemistry of the partners is a big deal and I just don't see any there in D/W. He looks really child-like with his giant blond fluff and her features are really severe and mature, almost like she's his mean stepmother rather than partner.

juppiter

Rinkside
Carolina Kostner. Not my cup of tea. I don't get her amazing speed and her programs in Sochi this year were pretentiously artistic. + sometimes it is good not to smile.
Julia Lipnitskaia. Too childlike and in her case sometimes it would be good to smile. I have to admit she is kind of growing on me.
Rachel Flatt. Can't pinpoint.
Kiira Korpi. Too much noise over nothing. The other Finnish girl Laura Lepisto was much better.
Ekaterina Bobrova. Bad posture and it is difficult, unless impossible to fix at this point. I like her partner.
Ashley Wagner. I used to like her a lot. However, this year her skating didn't seem to be developing while everyone else upped their game for the Olys + her comments etc have started to annoy me.

To me, Ashley Wagner's comments and personality have always been the best thing about her. I was so happy for her in 2012 with Black Swan but her personality > her skating any day.

Also, Adelina Sotnikova does nothing for me.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To me, Ashley Wagner's comments and personality have always been the best thing about her. I was so happy for her in 2012 with Black Swan but her personality > her skating any day.

Also, Adelina Sotnikova does nothing for me.
I would agree that Ashley's comments are one of her best qualities but it does seem like she takes that edgy attitude on the ice with her. It's very polarizing IMO. So I could see how some people would say...meh. It would also help if she didn't think she was better than what she actually is. I'd expect her to finish 5-8 at worlds if all go clean. Odds of that :no: Don't get me wrong I think she is fantastic and full of life on the ice but to me maybe she just channels it wrong at times. Just my opinion.

noskates

Record Breaker
Was gratified to read the comments about Evan. My 'distaste' for him came originally based on his arrogant manner. Then his comments about Johnny Weir, I thought were unprofessional and uncalled for. But I realized I just didn't care for his skating. Someone upthread mentioned his flailing arms and that always bugged me. I was glad he won the OGM for the US but could not warm up to him.

Perhaps I'm blind but I've never understood people that panned Patrick for not connecting with his music. I think he has a great connection with his music and I see nothing robotic about him. I guess it's popular to criticize and hate him these days though. Too bad because he has done alot to erase the abject physicality of figure skating for men and introduce some grace and smoothness. Before Patrick it was too often all about the jumps (Plushenko, Stojko) and the music and choreography just seemed secondary sometimes.

I've also never cared for Kostner. Didn't like her Ave Maria OR her Bolero.

Different strokes and all that..........................

moviechick

On the Ice
I can't say I'm a fan of Patrick Chan's style of Charmin soft and delicate 24/7. I will say, at least he does usually choose music that goes with that type of thing so it kinda does work for him most of the time but I'm just not into it at all. From dudes at least, I tend to prefer more power or at least more personality (a la Weir).

laurlaur63

Spectator
Davis and White....I simply can't connect to their programs, ever.
Michael Weiss
Alexei Yagudin
Rachel Flatt
Amelie Lacoste

hyperinflation

Match Penalty

yo seriously, her posture drives me nuts. she's got the shoulders of a linebacker. can't she take princess lessons from julie andrews or something?

i have the same problem with madison hubbell. if they ever do notre dame de paris, she's gonna have to be quasimodo with that spine of hers

Alba

Record Breaker
I had/have many skaters who are not my cup of tea. I don't "hate" or particurlarly disllike none of them though.
So it's easy to list those who I loved most.

From the past:

Mishkutenok/Dmitriev
Klimova / Ponomarenko
Ilia Kulik
Alexei Yagudin
Michelle Kwan
Grishuk - without Platov (I would've loved seen her further with her first partner Chickov.)

A special mention for Torvill&Dean and their Bolero, which made me fall in love with figure skating, although I don't think they were the best skaters.

From today's skaters:

V&M
I&K
Yuna (sometimes)
Mao (sometimes)
I think I'm going to love a lot Yulia, no matter how she skates. :yay:
That girl rocks, she's so funny in her interviews that I simply adore her. :)
I'm very disappointed with the men. Hanyu seems promising but we'll see, at the moment I absolutely have no fav.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
I had/have many skaters who are not my cup of tea. I don't "hate" or particurlarly disllike none of them though.
So it's easy to list those who I loved most.

From the past:

Mishkutenok/Dmitriev
Klimova / Ponomarenko
Ilia Kulik
Alexei Yagudin
Michelle Kwan
Grishuk - without Platov (I would've loved seen her further with her first partner Chickov.)

A special mention for Torvill&Dean and their Bolero, which made me fall in love with figure skating, although I don't think they were the best skaters.

From today's skaters:

V&M
I&K
Yuna (sometimes)
Mao (sometimes)
I think I'm going to love a lot Yulia, no matter how she skates. :yay:
That girl rocks, she's so funny in her interviews that I simply adore her. :)
I'm very disappointed with the men. Hanyu seems promising but we'll see, at the moment I absolutely have no fav.

i thought that was a list of skaters you didn't like, i was like damn you have no taste in anything...

i'm not on the i/k train though. i think she's very good but he's terrible. he's lucky he's kind of white boy good looking or he'd add nothing to the team.

Johar

Medalist
The HUGES sisters--hopefully no more or them pop up in the skating world.
Patrick Chan--too much sour grapes attitude.
A. Urmanov--something about him was annoying, both on and off ice.
Plushenko

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really found Evan boring, no heart and technically not that all great. I find Hanyu a bit immature and his artistry more put on than Chan. Brian Boitano really "bothered" me with his put on artistry - stares and all compared to the more organic or natural Orser and I found Scott Hamilton rathe meh especially by 1984 when school figures kept him on top. Tara Lipinski, Sara Hughes, Emily Hughes, Rachel Flatt, Ashley Wagner, Gracie Gold are all rather vanilla though good skaters. I don't hate any of these skaters but not particulary my favourite. I love d and w as people but I found their skating rather vanilla too though technically precise. I did find PHaneuf awkward and rather cumbersome.

Status
Not open for further replies.