Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moviechick

On the Ice
It's choreography, of course it will look somewhat calculated. While he's not as emotionally involved as other skaters and goes for histrionics on his face, I think he creates artistry with his body and movements, which is much harder as well as much more important to qualifying the artistic aspect of the sport. I don't think skating should be dramatics on ice, and for example appreciated skaters/ice dancers who create lines and visual artistry rather than contrived faces. I think intellectually involved is the perfect way to describe Chan's artistry... he's focused on presenting the technical aspects of skating in the most aesthetically pleasing way. To him, artistry is in the skating and the skater's body, and not in the face... which makes sense, since most people can't see a skater's face in the detail that the judges can.

I'm not looking for anyone to be like Actressing all over the ice but I think putting on a performance face is a reasonable request. With Chan in particular, his sad/disappointed facial expressions after he falls or makes mistakes for the rest of the program becomes a big distraction for me. I know it's not an acting competition but a little doesn't hurt.

Lbr, I/K are really the only Hollywood level attractive ice dance team.

Everyone else is varying levels of basic/plain.

I have to disagree with your last sentence. There are very few plain-looking ice dancers to my eye, and certainly both Tessa and Meryl are stunning. Their respective partners are good-looking to me, though I admit that this is a subjective reaction. And Andrew Poje is quite handsome. Those are the ones I can think of at the moment to refute your statement.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well that is Hollywood most of the time. Hot actress gets paired with generically attractive white guy.

To suggest Nikita is more Hollywood than Andrew Poje is hilarious (although an opinion you're entitled to). I find Elena attractive but calling them Hollywood-level attractive is as hilarious as suggesting Gracie Gold is more Hollywood-esque than many of the female skaters.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
andrew poje looks just like dermot mulroney circa my best friends wedding

that dude probably gets panties thrown at him whenever he walks outside, kaitlyn is lucky as hell

having seen some of these skaters in real life, he is by far the best looking of the guys and tessa is by far the best looking of the girls

moviechick

On the Ice
To suggest Nikita is more Hollywood than Andrew Poje is hilarious (although an opinion you're entitled to). I find Elena attractive but calling them Hollywood-level attractive is as hilarious as suggesting Gracie Gold is more Hollywood-esque than many of the female skaters.

I said they're the only TEAM who look Hollywood attractive. Sorry but Weaver is like a comedic character actress at best.

Nikita would at least be like your Andrew Garfield type to Elena's Mila Kunis. I can think of like 5 successful actresses she looks like (http://hotolympicgirls.com/2014/02/...dancing/hotolympicgirls-com_elena_ilinykh_06/)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many think Scott Moir is good-looking ..

Agree re the eye of the beholder. And yes, Moir is very good-looking to me. :) His strong nose only makes him more handsome. :cool:
(BTW, for those who have never paid attention to a profile photo of the Team Canton dancer with blond, curly hair: his nose is very similar to Moir's. :yay: They both are attractive guys with great personalities. :yay: And they both are terrific skaters. :bow:)

Last but not least: I hope no one ever starts another thread as mean-spirited as this one.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Agree re the eye of the beholder. And yes, Moir is very good-looking to me. :) His strong nose only makes him more handsome. :cool:
(BTW, for those who have never paid attention to a profile photo of the Team Canton dancer with blond, curly hair: his nose is very similar to Moir's. :yay: They both are attractive guys with great personalities. :yay: And they both are terrific skaters. :bow:)

Last but not least: I hope no one ever starts another thread as mean-spirited as this one.

charlie's nose is kind of on the big side but i'm pretty sure scott could pick up satellite signals with that schnoz of his

neither of them are ugly though

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
attractive hollywood type beauties: can be hollywood marketable

Gracie Gold
Elena Ilinykh
Andrew Poje
Tessa Virtue
Nikita Katsalapov
Kiira Korpi
Carolina Kostner
Maxim Trankov
Meryl Davis

done

moviechick

On the Ice
If Trankov cleaned up a bit, he'd look like Dan Stevens but it's not like he's a huge star anyways.

I think we're assuming they have no talent and would have to become famous purely on looks so that would pretty much narrow the list considerably to your Megan Fox and Jessica Alba types.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:laugh: @ Trankov

Hollywood isn't just about marketable looks. Although sky_fly's perception of what constitutes a Hollywood type is hilarious anyways. Hollywood is about exuding a maturity and also a level of interest and appeal to the masses. It's also about having a unique personality and not just about being pretty and some perfect Barbie doll -- that's why you don't see every Miss America winner in Hollywood.

Gold is still a teen girl... right now, she's barely Disney Channel - MTV at best - and not even close to being 'Hollywood'.

There's a reason Wagner was photographed and interviewed on the red carpet while Gold was at some airweave pre-Oscar lounge.

moviechick

On the Ice
Hollywood is not about maturity lol. Jennifer Lawrence is the biggest star on earth right now, which is owed to a teen franchise and her total lack of maturity tbh.

And there's a huge difference between the stars who get by on looks vs talent. I'm assuming these skaters are not Meryl Streep or John Hurt in disguise. If you look at the stars who basically made it for being hot, you get a very narrow range of attractive (for guys, you just have to look like a Chris Evans or some mild variation of tall, blond and buff. And for girls, just check the Maxim/Esquire lists for reference).

Wagner on the red carpet was like the D list of D list. Mario Lopez is more relevant.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
charisma is more important than looks

i've liked some of the most butt ugly skaters because they have personality (see: plushy) and disliked some of the better looking skaters but they are straight up boring to watch (kiira korpi)

it's when you don't have charisma or the looks that things start to become a problem

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Guys, this thread was not intended to be a bashfest, but that's what it became. We are closing this thread. Please do not try to start another like it

Status
Not open for further replies.