Skaters and Plastic Surgery | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters and Plastic Surgery

Barb

Record Breaker
I seriously doubt that he has strabismus. If he did, he would have trouble perceiving distance correctly and all that and skating and jumping would be quite difficult. He does seem to have a case of cross eyes. I don't believe that having cross eyes (or appearing to have cross eyes) equals having strabismus according to an opthamologist I worked with on a project before. Perhaps we have an opthamologist on the forum to lend his/her expert opinions?

I am not ophtalmologist but I remember in pediatrician the tracher told us there are many parents that go with them because they think that their babies have strabismus, but she told us that is not strabismus, but babies have eyelids like asian people and sometimes looks like they have strabismus but it is not like that. So I was wondering the same about Patrick and the new partner of Narumi, how could they to be so precise skating with strabismus :scratch: ,so may be my teacher was correct and it is only the frame of the eyelid, though in the case of the Narumi's partner is very exagerated the desviation of the gaze.

moviechick

On the Ice
If both eyes appear equally crossed, it is usually a sign of high hyperopia in young children. If you adequately correct their refractive error, their eyes should align.

Zamboni

On the Ice
There was speculation in 2008/2009 that Sasha Cohen got a boob job. Of course after her attempted comeback in 2010, it was clear to see she hadn't. When she wasn't training hard and restricting her diet, she gained weight and (luckily) some of it went to her chest. When she started training again she lost a lot of her weight and her boobs went with it.

No worries, she's got them back now. :biggrin:

:rofl::rofl:

Seruleane

Final Flight
no way yuna's had her eyes done. in fact, one of the things I respect about yuna is that she's kept her natural look (I mean sure, she wears makeup to enhance her eyes), but if she had surgery on them, it'd be pretty obvious.

Barb

Record Breaker
I dont see what is the problem with people getting surgery. If they feels better it is ok.

Zamboni

On the Ice
Since when is Gracie Gold a "natural" and "fresh" beauty? :rofl:
As is true of many young women, her hair color comes from a bottle, and she often wears a ton of make-up [ETA: even off the ice].
Whether she is a beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But "natural" and "fresh" she is not.

Gracie wears too much makeup. I am wondering how she looks without. I agree that Gracie has a perfect body for a figure skater and that matters the most.

I do think that Gracie is prettier without the excessive makeup. I totally understand wearing some makeup (especially lipstick) while performing because she would probably look washed out if she didn't do so. It's just like theater actors putting on makeup before going onstage. But she definitely overdoes it.

Here are Gracie's thoughts on it (be prepared, there is some shameless product promotion):

http://parade.condenast.com/260623/...old-most-figure-skaters-do-their-own-makeup//

TonyaHardlyEver

Rinkside
Agreed. One thing Gracie could do to look less severe is lower the position of her hair bun. Placing it on the top enhances the overdone prissy princess look. Ashley could stand to do this, too.

The bun is fine for the character. And as far as makeup goes it has to be dramatic because it has to show up on a huge ice surface. Just like Broadway actors have overdone makeup so you can see from a far away distance. It wasn't designed for closeup shots. You have to see the expression in their faces. It all has to be dramatic so it will be effective.

Here is Mao. A Japanese doll maker made her in the shape of Japanese traditional Hina doll, which wears 12 layers of kimono.
https://www.google.com/search?q=真央雛...eAtAaVs4HoDw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=667

Oh, wow!!! It's gorgeous! Thanks so much for showing this to us. I think the dollmaker even captured her characteristic expression. I will have to learn more about Hima dolls. An American dollmaker made dolls of the movie Memoirs of a Geisha and when I splurged on one (it was a bit costly but not crazy expensive), I was delighted to find three layers, not just the outer kimono. Pretty good for an ordinary American fashion doll. The shoes were especially nicely done, and there was a separate obi. But twelve layers! That must be a marvel.

I think Mao has such an expressive face. She's a bit different in almost every photo I see, and when I see her live, shades of feeling seem to flit across her face.

John King

Final Flight
"Didja hear the news? (ISU President Ottavio Cinquanta) Speedy just got an a**hole transplant"

"Yeah, but there were complications in surgery"

"What complications?"

"The a**hole rejected him!"

Icey

Record Breaker
Peggy Fleming had a nose job and so did Linda Fratianne. Peggy's was during a time when they were made too small.

Amei

Record Breaker
The bun is fine for the character. And as far as makeup goes it has to be dramatic because it has to show up on a huge ice surface. Just like Broadway actors have overdone makeup so you can see from a far away distance. It wasn't designed for closeup shots. You have to see the expression in their faces. It all has to be dramatic so it will be effective.

Somebody should tell her that because I saw an interview on the Today show with her and she had that deep red colored lipstick on then. And someone on here said that she gave an interview and she said it was like her 'signature color'. Someone with such a pale complexion she needs to wear something less 'dramatic' it doesn't look like classy done makeup; it looks like bozo.

Zamboni

On the Ice
Somebody should tell her that because I saw an interview on the Today show with her and she had that deep red colored lipstick on then. And someone on here said that she gave an interview and she said it was like her 'signature color'. Someone with such a pale complexion she needs to wear something less 'dramatic' it doesn't look like classy done makeup; it looks like bozo.

Yes, I'm a blonde -- a natural blonde with excessively fair skin -- and harsh red lipstick does not look good on me.

Neither does pale pink, for that matter, which makes me look even paler. I need color, just not too dark. Gracie should possibly use a rose color or something similar.

Barb

Record Breaker
[

Yes, I'm a blonde -- a natural blonde with excessively fair skin -- and harsh red lipstick does not look good on me.

Neither does pale pink, for that matter, which makes me look even paler. I need color, just not too dark. Gracie should possibly use a rose color or something similar.

I think she looked really well with red lipstik in nationals sp with her red dress :agree: . But with blue dress she should try another color

Barb

Record Breaker

What a mean-hearted thing to say. Gracie looks beautiful in that picture, as she always does. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Yes, yes, sorry, I was mean, she looks better in that picture than me in my best moment

Sochi_2014

On the Ice

Yes, yes, sorry, I was mean, she looks better in that picture than me in my best moment

:p okay you're forgiven

I forget where I heard this, and for some reason I think I heard it from Jenny Kirk. (but I could be entirely wrong)
Anywho, the person who said it said that when putting on make-up for competition, you need to put on so much make-up that it looks overdone. That way, the people in the rafters can see you.

Also, I'd like to point out that these girls are wearing this somewhat harsh red lipstick because it's popular on the red carpet. Granted I'm young, but in the "olden days" didn't actresses wear really dark/red lipstick. Fashion always repeats itself. See exhibit A: Taylor Swift

Ven

Match Penalty
Gracie looked nice during the opening ceremonies and in the tweeted pictures of her and Yuna this week.

She looked horrible when skating at nationals and olympics team event, like she always does on the ice. Seriously, she looks like she's competing at a child beauty pageant. She's even hinted that she's being forced to give off that public perception, by her coaches or family or USFSA.

hurrah

Medalist
Tessa Virtue's had a nose job for sure.
I think many if not all of the Korean skaters have had various enhancements inc. nose, eyes, jawline, etc. done to their faces.
I have often thought that nearly all the female Russian skaters must have had some kind of liposuction procedure done to their bodies, even during the 80's.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Agreed. One thing Gracie could do to look less severe is lower the position of her hair bun. Placing it on the top enhances the overdone prissy princess look. Ashley could stand to do this, too.

I wish Gold would return to her braided hairstyles. The best thing about her bit in the United Airlines commercials is her epic braids. :)

(Does Wagner wear any kind of bun at all?? I don't recall any.)

[p.s. My own comments wishing for Gold to lose the heavy make-up and look more natural have pertained to her off-ice appearance. I completely understand that on-ice make-up for competitions and shows is a totally different story.]