Skaters who are "all that and a bag of chips"? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters who are "all that and a bag of chips"?

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Pairs: Volosozhar/Trankov
Totmianina/Marinin
Pang/Tong

Men: Lambiel
Hanyu

Dance: Virtue/Moir
Delobel/Schoenfelder

Ladies: Slutskaya (and this is how I started watching figure skating)
Mao and Yuna (really no preference, they are both incredibly beautiful skaters)
Gracie (new entry in my top)

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Sorry to burst your bubble.

:think: I personally don't think that counts as saying something negative about Hanyu. To me he's just talking up his own success, rather than talking down his competitors. I'm actually glad to see that Patrick is thinking positively about his two silver medals, that's genuinely great for him :clap:

Saying that he's still the best skater for some time is also valid. Hanyu and other up and comers still have a ways to go, and even he acknowledges Patrick as being the best in the world right now.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
MISHA GE!!! Boy is so full of sassiness and fabulosity! He actually had fun with his LP performance the Olympics.
This ^

I took a liking to Misha from the first moment I saw him - Charlie Chaplin FS at Finlandia Trophy. I'd never even heard of him before that. So cheerful, upbeat, funny, and enthusiastic. Larger-than-life personality. And he's been like that at every performance I've seen since. He's a born entertainer. I don't care what scores he gets - he is just so much FUN to watch!

Akio Sasaki is similar... and I don't know if he's always that way, but Paul Bonifacio Parkinson skated with the same kind of infectious joy and enthusiasm at this Olympics...

phaeljones

On the Ice
My bag of chips is that the Japanese skaters seem to learn and practice humility as part of their skating culture. They are gracious in defeat and honorable in victory.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My Family size bag of chips: Todd Eldredge - if I could trade every snowboarding and curling OGM for just 1 OGM for him I would :love:

:love: Make that sweet potato chips (delicious)

Also, Kurt, Paul W., "Taka," Michal B., Brian O., Sasha Abt, Ilia Kulik, Katia, Javier, the Kerrs, Meryl & Charlie, Tanith & Ben, The Shibs, Misha Ge, Denis Ten, Nathalie & Fabian, Delobel & Schoenfelder, Faiella & Scali, Capellini & Lanotte, Kirsten Moore-Towers & Dylan Moskovitch, Shen & Zhao, Akiko, Mao, Midori, Michelle, Yuka, Jeff Buttle, Alissa, Jason Brown, Max Aaron, Adam Rippon, Tomas V. ...

Japanese humility/graciousness in victory and defeat :agree:

figuristka

Medalist
Present skaters at Olympics ( may have missed a few)

V/M
I/K

Patrick Chan
Yuzuru Hanyu
Daisuke Takahashi

Carolina Kostner
Akiko Suzuki
Mao Asada

BounceAround

On the Ice
Tomas Verner : Beautiful basic skating, esp. power and depth of edge
Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze : Wonderful lines and basic skating.
Mao Asada : Very pure glide, great control, beautiful carriage, crazy in all the right ways.
Pechalat/Bourzat : Fun!
Dorothy Hamill

miki88

Medalist
Michelle Kwan and Mao Asada: beautiful, harmonious skating
Lu Chen: beautiful skating and unique choreography

Daisuke Takahashi: Charisma and fantastic presentation
Alexei Yagudin: Drama on ice
G&G: most beautiful pair ever

I also really liked Yukina Ota. She had a very brief career but lovely programs and presentation.

aragray

Rinkside
For ladies, my pick is Yuna haha, but Li Zijun will be one of my favorites in a few years I think. Mao's short program this year is definitely my bag of chips :laugh:
For the men, Daisuke Takahashi is my top choice but Lambiel, Kozuka, and Buttle are up there too :)

lavender

Record Breaker
I also agree on the Michelle, Kurt, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Lambiel, Dai, GG, Yagudin and Buttle picks.

I wish Tomas Verner with his beautiful skating skills knew that he was all that.

desertskates

Medalist
I'm so glad to see so much love for Tomas Verner!!! I really wish he could have ended on a high note, but such is life. His skating is wonderful.
:popcorn: *exchange popcorn for chips* I prefer sea salt kettle cooked :laugh:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From the way-back file:

Pairs team Yamaguchi and Galindo. I've reminded myself of them when I was complaining on the "not my cup of tea" thread.

They had so much promise as a young team. It's a shame she ended the partnership to focus on singles, but history will indicate she made the right call.

I would have loved to see them develop. They were the last American team I really liked a lot, although I admit to a very small fan-crush on Nate and Felicia.

BounceAround

On the Ice
I wish Tomas Verner with his beautiful skating skills knew that he was all that.

desertskates said:
I'm so glad to see so much love for Tomas Verner!!!

When Lori said to Carolina, "Now do you believe in yourself?", I wished so badly that that could have been Tomas. I loved her encouragement to him in the K&C last year at Worlds. He really is a wonderful skater.

Actually, both Czech boys are :love: in so many different ways.

aquacandy83

Rinkside
Kurt Browning
Paul Wylie
Scott Hamilton
Mishketuniok & Dmetriev
Gordeeva & Grinkov
Bourne & Kraatz
Virtue & Moir
Midori Ito
The Duchesnays
Torvill & Dean
Carolina Kostner
Elaine Zayak
Hough & Ladret
Blumberg & Seibert
Babilonia & Gardner
Janet Lynn

bunnychan

Rinkside
I kind of started my love of skating with S/Z, so I kind of just continued forward mostly with Chinese skaters, so, sorry for the extreme bias in this list:

Chen Lu - her skating was gorgeous in a very detailed way--she always had a position for each part of her body

Shen/Zhao - I loved them. They were my first real intro to figure skating. I loved that they fought for everything they got, I loved that they never stopped changing and evolving, I loved that they learned their artistry and then kicked butt. I loved their huge throws and their subtle transitions and the super creative little choreography bits they did later in their careers that added so much to a program. I loved their music. I loved that they started out poor and learning from videos, from a coach who had himself learned from newspaper photos, and went on to become one of the top teams of their era. I loved that they never gave up, even when Shen was competing with one leg completely numbed or Zhao tore his Achilles tendon. I loved their chemistry and the love they had for each other and skating.

Johnny Weir - I dunno, I think Johnny was never the best competitor, just because his technicals were inconsistent and his style tended toward the weird, but he was an amazing performer.

Zhang Kexin - I think I'm probably one of the few people who likes her, but it's mainly because I fell in love with her style in the COC in 2011 when I saw her "Amazing Grace" EX. It was a fairly simple program, but she had this sort of easy, mature grace--it wasn't cute or pretty or princessy, despite her being 16--and I adored it. She also did this amazingly quirky FS that year to uncommon music with an atypical costume, and it suited her really well. I think that maybe going back to that kind of style would be beneficial to her?

Song Nan - he may never ever be a highly decorated skater, but he's /adorable/. He has this very sweet quiet on-ice personality and when he does well he's actually fairly pretty to watch. I always love his jumps when he gets them right, especially his triple axels. Also he and Hanyu have the cutest bromance.

Huang/Zheng - okay, I know basically nothing about ice dance so I never really watch it, but I accidentally got linked to these two once and liked them because they're just kind of really cute? I know they don't do well and I can sometimes even see why (asynchronization, mainly) but they just have such cute programs. I loved their "Singin' in the Rain" FD and their Titanic and "If I Ain't Got You" EXs just for the cuteness factor.