Judging Davis and White | Golden Skate

Judging Davis and White

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Despite all the controversy at Sochi about the unfair marks in the ice dance, I still can't believe that Davis and White turn in a perfect performance every time they step on the ice. What no mistakes what-so-ever? This business "that they can't put a foot wrong" is ridiculous. I don't buy it. Either they are machines or just lucky that the judges are overlooking their errors. Every skater makes a mistake at some point in a competition at some point in the season. I just don't get it. There is something not right with the judging. Their marks have been definitely inflated for the past couple of years.

Davis and White better enjoy their Gold Medal while they can because it looks like the Russians are building a pretty strong ice dance team. They might not be so lucky with the judges next time the Russians are in the building.

ks777

Record Breaker
Sounds like sour grapes to me. You and CBC were waiting and desperately wanting D/W to make a mistake. Fortunately they didn't make any mistakes and won. I personally believe D/W and V/M are both wonderful. I was ok with either ones winning. But after hearing CBC and some Canadian fans biatching, claiming it was rigged. I am so glad D/W won now. I am getting tired of hearing it was rigged by Canadians. Now the Canadian luge team is claiming it was rigged and they lost.. how sad.. maybe they weren't good enough to win and accept the result instead of accusing others for their loss?

CocoChanel

Rinkside
Sounds like sour grapes to me. You and CBC were waiting and desperately wanting D/W to make a mistake. Fortunately they didn't make any mistakes and won. I personally believe D/W and V/M are both wonderful. I was ok with either ones winning. But after hearing CBC and some Canadian fans biatching, claiming it was rigged. I am so glad D/W won now. I am getting tired of hearing it was rigged by Canadians. Now the Canadian luge team is claiming it was rigged and they lost.. how sad.. maybe they weren't good enough to win and accept the result instead of accusing others for their loss?

You know, to be fair, you could also say that about the American speedskating team who blamed the suits for their losses, switched suits and still lost. EVERY country is always going to complain about something at some point during the games. I don't know if it was the luge team, but one of the teams complained that the temperature of the track was raised and provided the stats from the 'boiler room' to prove it and then they talked to the Austrian team who had also complained about the same thing.

If it seems that Canadians complain about rigging it could be because past history has shown there's reason to complain.

Matt K

On the Ice
Virtue/Moir have the better skating and presentation skills of anyone competing today. They can move in and out of any dance hold without losing flow, speed and positions. Other teams can't and or lose one or the other. Not to mention their speed and power from their knees and deep edges, just to die for :love: I/K are also getting there and pretty close as we saw in their FD in Sochi. D/W never have, and never will, IMO. I like that V/M have never "sold out" like using toe picks to run across the ice or sacrificing posture/lines for a level 4 element. VM only team to have both the technique and artistic aspects of ice dancing and have never sacrificed their quality. As I said, I/K are getting there, and very close, and I think will be at the top by 2018.

Fair judging for 2018, please.

ks777

Record Breaker
You know, to be fair, you could also say that about the American speedskating team who blamed the suits for their losses, switched suits and still lost. EVERY country is always going to complain about something at some point during the games. I don't know if it was the luge team, but one of the teams complained that the temperature of the track was raised and provided the stats from the 'boiler room' to prove it and then they talked to the Austrian team who had also complained about the same thing.

If it seems that Canadians complain about rigging it could be because past history has shown there's reason to complain.

But the American speed skaters did not accuse anyone for cheating.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

That was awful of Kurt. Suggesting that they eventually have to crack, with the insinuation that it happens at the Olympics is terrible. I wonder how he would have felt in 1994 if an announcer said that Kurt would eventually have to mess up, and Kurt turned in a bad performance and then heard about people anticipating his failure. Maybe he's a bit bitter that D/W have held it together (even if it's a lot easier to do so in ice dance).

CocoChanel

Rinkside
But the American speed skaters did not accuse anyone for cheating.

I was talking about the 'whining' part and the blame issue. But CBC and fans didn't accuse D/W of cheating either. Most of the comments I've seen are a reference to the remark that Kokko made in his tweet and the big marking difference that came out of that. Most of the comments aren't 'OMG D/W were so awful, terrible, they should never have won'. They're more along the lines of the difference in the marks going into the FD.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And it is not true that D&W never put a foot wrong. Check protocols from earlier competitions this year, particularly at NHK and Skate America and Salt Lake; they got multiple level 3's, especially on the Finnstep sections, early in the season.

Unfortunately commentators keep saying of many skaters that a skate was the best ever, or this or that skater didn't put a foot wrong, or that they couldn't have skated that any better, etc. etc. This gives them something to say while waiting for scores, but it is not very useful, because it is very seldom true.

TripleToe

Rinkside

My words exactly. Thanks.
CBC was extremely ridiculous last night. It was embarrassing to read their tweets. First of all Meryl and Charlie can't buy results from 9 judges at every competition the last 2 years! This is not an "Olympic judging problem" They won a well-deserved Olympic gold! Davis and White had beaten T/S the last two years in every single competition in short and free! This score/win wasn't a big surprise to anyone! T/S are great but M/C are just better.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't think that skating poorly in both parts of the team competition helped V&M's chances any.

It also didn't help that they chose jazz club/sultry for the SD when the requirements state bubbly, effervescent, ballroom, and call out unspecified penalties for inappropriate music/presentation. D&W were certainly bubbly and effervescent. So right there, they had a half point edge in PCS, maybe more, in the SD, and that's without any skating mistakes having to be made by V&M.

BlackPack

Medalist
And it is not true that D&W never put a foot wrong. Check protocols from earlier competitions this year, particularly at NHK and Skate America and Salt Lake; they got multiple level 3's, especially on the Finnstep sections, early in the season.

Unfortunately commentators keep saying of many skaters that a skate was the best ever, or this or that skater didn't put a foot wrong, or that they couldn't have skated that any better, etc. etc. This gives them something to say while waiting for scores, but it is not very useful, because it is very seldom true.

I'm serious - some of the fans on this forum should do commentary.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And another thing. In the FD, the Canadian judge gave them two 10.00's. How do I know this? Because there was a Canadian judge on the panel. and every judge gave them two 10.00's or more.

If there were vote swapping going on, surely at least the Canadian judge wouldn't have been in on it.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I don't think that skating poorly in both parts of the team competition helped V&M's chances any.

It also didn't help that they chose jazz club/sultry for the SD when the requirements state bubbly, effervescent, ballroom, and call out unspecified penalties for inappropriate music/presentation. D&W were certainly bubbly and effervescent. So right there, they had a half point edge in PCS, maybe more, in the SD, and that's without any skating mistakes having to be made by V&M.

That's a ridiculous assessment. Sultry?!? Where are you getting that from. V/M's SD was definitely bubbly and effervescent. Since when can jazz not have that quality? Music doesn't have to be Disney to meet those requirements.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Perhaps I should have left it as jazz club. I.e. not ballroom. Also, it was not bubbly or mildly humorous. Yes, I am not thrilled with the My Fair Lady music, but it does meet requirements, even if not an inspired choice Muskrat Ramble is Charleston rather than Quickstep. This is legal, because the time signature is the same and the number of beats per second are right, but it cannot have helped their cause. It's too bad, because it's the nicest sd they have ever had IMO. Unfortunately, it's like a poodle entered in a terrier contest.

I wish they had used an expanded version of their sd as their fd, and had picked something else for the sd.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I don't see how it wasn't bubbly. "Heaven, I'm in heaven"?

I do agree though that it could have been an amazing FD.

Davis and White better enjoy their Gold Medal while they can because it looks like the Russians are building a pretty strong ice dance team. They might not be so lucky with the judges next time the Russians are in the building.

I doubt that Davis and White will continue skating that long. The point is rather that we American and Canadian fans should enjoy the gold medals of both Davis/White and Virtue/Moir. The next dynasty will be Russian, and might remain so for the foreseeable future. Our North American golden age, which has lent a glow to both Canada and the United States during both Olympics, has probably ended for now.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Perhaps I should have left it as jazz club. I.e. not ballroom. Also, it was not bubbly or mildly humorous. Yes, I am not thrilled with the My Fair Lady music, but it does meet requirements, even if not an inspired choice ...

I don't see how it wasn't bubbly. "Heaven, I'm in heaven"?

Agree with Blades. Seems to me that one man's bubbly is another's non-bubbly ... :eek:hwell:

Doris, just curious:
Is humorous one of the ISU specifications? And if so, what is humorous about Davis/White's My Fair Lady selections?? :think:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I doubt that Davis and White will continue skating that long. The point is rather that we American and Canadian fans should enjoy the gold medals of both Davis/White and Virtue/Moir. The next dynasty will be Russian, and might remain so for the foreseeable future. Our North American golden age, which has lent a glow to both Canada and the United States during both Olympics, has probably ended for now.

Whether the next dynasty is Russian is completely dependent on if I&K can hold it together and become the new dominant team. No way are Bobrova & Soloviev going to do it, and I dont see any of their current up and comers being a dominant team. I think there are two scenarios, either I&K dominating or an open field with 4, 5, or 6 contenders but either way there will be some NA teams in the hunt for medals, but nothing like the total dominance of V&M and D&W.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Damn it people, would you leave Meryl and Charlie alone? There was NO CONTROVERSY in their win. They were clean, sharp and beautiful. Deal with it.

Nobody belittled Tessa and Scott's success 4 years ago, why the need to do it to Meryl and Charlie?

Well, we've got 15 minutes to finish reminiscing over the dance competition, then it's off to the ladies! :rock: