Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread

mwk81

Rinkside
It's too bad her fans are so classless about it though. The stuff they're posting on Adelina's facebook/instagram is gross and shameful.

"**** you such a disgusting person same as your country"

"Are you happy? But you are not champion. REAL champion is Yuna Kim!"

"******. Home cooked skater."

Seriously, learn from your idol and do not stoop to this nonsense.

Way to make broad sweeping generalizations

moviechick

On the Ice
Agree. Do not generalize. come on, this is not a thread about Sotnikova's instagram or whatsoever.

But it is a thread about Yuna being a class-act and moving on with her life, while a number of her fans are telling a girl to kill herself on facebook.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
It's too bad her fans are so classless about it though. The stuff they're posting on Adelina's facebook/instagram is gross and shameful.

"**** you such a disgusting person same as your country"

"Are you happy? But you are not champion. REAL champion is Yuna Kim!"

"******. Home cooked skater."

Seriously, learn from your idol and do not stoop to this nonsense.

Ugh. A lot of people across the spectrum have very legitimate concerns about what went down in ladies FS, but we're all getting lumped into the same category as the more "nationalistic" fans. I wish her zealous fans would calm down and stop flooding Sotnikova with death threats bc that's not making their stance look good or credible.

gds102

Rinkside
Just because she's reached a place mentally, emotionally, spiritually where all the infighting, politicking, and all that crap can't hurt her any more doesn't mean that what's happened at these Olympics is a-ok, as in, 'she's moving on and so should everybody else'. There's a part of the press conference that's been left out in which she says it was the journey that mattered more to her than the end result, and watching her deal with all this is how I came to understand finally what she meant by going after something that was bigger than a gold medal. Kurt Browning said he came to the same realization when he saw her face at the end, but it didn't really sink in for me until I saw her at the press conference. But in many ways, it's what makes it all the more heartbreaking, and no, it's not because she didn't win the gold. She's no dummy, she got the message loud and clear the moment she saw those results at the short program. And watching her face crumble as she hugged her coach for the last time after the free program, watching her struggle to keep her composure backstage, fighting back tears, ... don't tell me that it's all 100% pure, happy tears of relief, not tinged with any sorrow. Not sorrow that she hasn't won a gold, but sorrow at THIS. The hardest journey in her life, her final competition, and THIS is what's happened. If this had been fought and judged fair and square, I'd bet my first-born that she could have won a silver or a bronze and we'd have seen a happier Yuna. But instead of celebrating a strong showing from all the ladies and feeling good about the state of figure skating, .... words just fail me.

Thnx for posting. I'm in total agreement

elee011

Rinkside
But it is a thread about Yuna being a class-act and moving on with her life, while a number of her fans are telling a girl to kill herself on facebook.

You're always going to have some crazy fans.
This being Yuna--she will have a lot more of those crazy fans.

Do not attribute the actions of her fans to Yuna's character or integrity.

moviechick

On the Ice
You're always going to have some crazy fans.
This being Yuna--she will have a lot more of those crazy fans.

Do not attribute the actions of her fans to Yuna's character or integrity.

A passionate fanbase is one thing. Threatening another person and telling her to kill herself is another (in the states, it's grounds to prosecute if something does happen).

Not to mention, so few of her "normal" fans are really calling out the crazies on this.

kslr0816

On the Ice
A passionate fanbase is one thing. Threatening another person and telling her to kill herself is another (in the states, it's grounds to prosecute if something does happen).

Not to mention, so few of her "normal" fans are really calling out the crazies on this.

it is disgusting and something kim yuna herself would obviously never endorse.. what exactly is your point?

drkil

Spectator

my experiences with the Korean net culture suggest that the kind of ones that mob on Sotnikova's facebook are usually among the worse part of the demographic and also very young (=irrational and prone to instigation). the fact that 4chan-esq communities are very popular among young children/young adults in Korea does not help, either.

edit: the point being, the relatively "normal" ones do not engage in those activities to be aware of the situation/to call out on them in the first place.

moviechick

On the Ice
it is disgusting and something kim yuna herself would obviously never endorse.. what exactly is your point?

That Yuna's fanbase is not doing her cause any favors by acting so irrationally and foaming at the mouth is not going to bring justice to this situation.

starrynight

On the Ice

So what you are doing here is a class act, you presume? Please go away and give us moments.

vegarin

On the Ice
You don't know who is posting it. It could be Korean nationalists, or Russians trying to make people look bad. It could even be sky fly for all we know

Hee, I know my pick. :)

moviechick

On the Ice
So what you are doing here is a class act, you presume? Please go away and give us moments.

At least I'm not holding my hands over my ears pretending the issue doesn't exist. You can live in your happy-land but a lot of this disgusting behavior is a serious detriment to actually making progress when the fanbase cannot even have a discussion without resorting to gross insults.

starrynight

On the Ice
At least I'm not holding my hands over my ears pretending the issue doesn't exist. You can live in your happy-land but a lot of this disgusting behavior is a serious detriment to actually making progress when the fanbase cannot even have a discussion without resorting to gross insults.

I will be direct, since you do not understand. You are no better than the insistent mob disrupting one's peace of mind with uncalled-for aggressive comments. No one wants to know where you put your hands.

Ven

Match Penalty
Yuna's father wrote her this letter

thanks to joursdepleu at YNKF for translation

Grateful and proud of my Daughter.

My dear Yuna, my lovely daughter,
Today when I was watching your programs on TV, I thought my heart was going to burst. I know that the music to your free skate program, “Adios Nonino”, is originally a tribute for a father and because of this people asked me how I felt as they felt like this program could've been a tribute to me during your last program ever.

But I did not hear anything. I could not feel anything. The only thing that came to my vision were the detailed moments of the rise and falls in your movements. My feelings when watching your competitions over the past seventeen years were the same as when I was watching your last competition; it was difficult to watch.

10 days before, when you left for Sochi I did not tell you “Bring home a gold medal”. Instead I only told you to do your very best. Because it was your last competition, I told you to show everything that you wished to do, to pour every fiber of your being into this endeavor, and to not let your supporters down. I told you that the Olympic Gold Medal is something that only the heavens gift you with and that if you did your very best wouldn't the proper results follow?

Even as I said those words to you, in my heart I had a wish for a gold medal. That is because more than anyone in this world I know of your incredible skill and work ethic. A couple days before, I dreamt that I had won a game and collected all of the money from my friends. After I awoke, I thought to myself that the money in the dream could signify another gold medal and my wish for your 2nd gold medal grew bigger.

However, during the competition I saw an earlier competitor's, Adelina Sotnikova's, score and thought that it would be very difficult to overcome this mark. After Vancouver four years ago, because of the scoring system changes I knew that unless you received extra points it would be very difficult for you to get the winning score.

Our Yuna was last to skate in the competition and how nervous you must have been! What would happen if our Yuna makes mistakes? As I awaited for your turn my lips turned dry and my heart felt like it was going to rip apart.

At that moment, the 17 years and 7 months that I have spent with figure skating flashed before my very eyes. Do you remember? The times of countless tears and hardships...I then fervently prayed that in this very situation you would unfold and perform everything that you wanted to perform and leave this stage happy regardless of the result. I sincerely wished for my dear daughter , just as always, to humbly accept reality, to not make excuses, to not complain, to not argue, and to not blame others.

In your last competitive stage you didn't falter even once. Even with that score, you accepted it, kept the tears back, and smiled. The moment I saw your smile was the happiest moment of our entire journey with figure skating from when you were only six years old to now. I thought that even in adverse conditions you did your best. You didn't cling onto the results and gave a self satisfying performance. You confidently faced reality and moved forward. I am so thankful that you were able to smile for me like that.

Our loving Yuna, standing here now and looking back at these 17 years and 7 months the countless moments of triumphs and disappointments are coming to mind. The joys were but only fleeting moments while adversity was continuous. When we first started figure skating, our family could not even imagine that you would eventually win an Olympic gold medal. We could not forsee the incredible hardships of figure skating but sacrificed everything while slowly taking things one step at a time, ending here at this point in our lives.

When you competed at international events and received scores that did not reflect great judgment, as your father I was very sorry. I once told you, long ago, that I was sorry that I was not able to give birth to you in a more powerful country known for its figure skating might. Even here, in Korea, without a proper skating rink you trained hard while getting injured over and over again. And every time I sent you off to international competitions while knowing that you were so injured, my heart was deeply troubled.

Despite all of this, you never lost a medal even once in any of the events in your competitive career. Without adversity there are no results, injuries are the evidence of hard work. Once you set a goal, don't even bat an eyelash and solely focus on the road ahead to run towards your goal. With all this, I am so proud of everything that you have done.

Dear Yuna, you can rest now to your heart's content. You won an Olympic Gold Medal, you've received so much love from so many people, and you've even blazed a trail for future Korean skaters. Now, let us return back to being normal people from being celebrities. As your father, I wish that like normal people you will be able to enjoy common, everyday happiness while living a normal life.

Now since we have so much time, let's ignore the public eye and go out to eat delicious things. Let's go out to cafes and drink coffee while chatting endlessly. Let us allow for you new dreams to blossom. As your father, I will do everything in my power and will to help you in your new journey.

As soon as your program finished early this morning, I texted to you “Yuna~ You are the real champion” to which you replied “Thanks, I'm fine”.

No my sweet Yuna, thank YOU for boldly overcoming everything in the face of adversity. A job well done. For all these years you have gone through so much. I am incredibly proud of our great Yuna.

I love you.

moviechick

On the Ice
I will be direct, since you do not understand. You are no better than the insistent mob disrupting one's peace of mind with uncalled-for aggressive comments. No one wants to know where you put your hands.

Why because I can appreciate a skater while also acknowledging that her fanbase has displayed some gross behavior and is kind of hurting her cause. If you don't want to hear about it, that's not my problem. Feel free to ignore as much as you want. I'm just pointing out something that has been troubling a lot of people over the past days and has only gotten worse. If bringing attention to serious cyber bullying directly related to this particular skater is not worthy of your time, then that says more about you.

starrynight

On the Ice
Why because I can appreciate a skater while also acknowledging that her fanbase has displayed some gross behavior and is kind of hurting her cause. If you don't want to hear about it, that's not my problem. Feel free to ignore as much as you want. I'm just pointing out something that has been troubling a lot of people over the past days and has only gotten worse. If bringing attention to serious cyber bullying directly related to this particular skater is not worthy of your time, then that says more about you.

Getting worse and worse.