Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread

Jewels

On the Ice
compare Adios no Nino to her Les Miserables ?
that was a performance of age, I dont think so

she needed more spunk if she needs skating to Tango
Yuna definitely should have stuck to Les Miserables it was moving and her 2013 Worlds win was fully deserved
there should have been no problem there, it was not an overused long program, even Carolina used Bolero which she used less than 5 times

Yeah, her les miserables programme was great, but she already had a clean, perfect performance with that. If she had used it again but hadn't been better than 2013 worlds, I don't think the judges would have given her good scores. Anyway, I watched adios nonino again, and it was more sharp and delicate than les miserable. IMO it was a new style for her and I say it was good as other programmes she has done. Everyone has their own personal tastes btw.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yeah, her les miserables programme was great, but she already had a clean, perfect performance with that. If she had used it again but hadn't been better than 2013 worlds, I don't think the judges would have given her good scores. Anyway, I watched adios nonino again, and it was more sharp and delicate than les miserable. IMO it was a new style for her and I say it was good as other programmes she has done. Everyone has their own personal tastes btw.

whats wrong with skating clean already with Les Miserables ? Yuna's consistency is nothing to be questioned about
she got huge score for her FS last Worlds, that suited her like gloves, even better than Carolina's Bolero

gds102

Rinkside
I just wish Yuna all the best. I'm glad that so many athletes and people and the media understand and support Yuna. She will be remembered as one of the best skaters ever. and RIP, figure skating.

tetana

Rinkside
compare Adios no Nino to her Les Miserables ?
that was a performance of age, I dont think so

she needed more spunk if she needs skating to Tango
Yuna definitely should have stuck to Les Miserables it was moving and her 2013 Worlds win was fully deserved
there should have been no problem there, it was not an overused long program, even Carolina used Bolero which she used less than 5 times

I think her Adios Nanino was perfect. It was not that usual tango which "figure skaters" usually used. But Yuna really expressed well the music "Farewell my father". This music can't not be like Carmen or Roxanne. Otherwise Carmen is very passionate and dramatic character, Yuna in Adios Nonino needs to be a classy, missing, but a fire in her mind that kind of woman. She doesn't need to be dramatic. Why should she? She was acting the woman who was missing father and looking back old days. And..Yuna was the woman. Whether you like this program or not, it is technically very difficult program to follow. Look at the steps. Her steps are mostly with one foot. Also this music has no typical rythm. I love Caro's Bolero. But Frankly speaking, I think Yuna deserves better score than Caro because she tried another program for this season. She showed her best with Les Miserables last season. She showed her best with Adios Nonino this season. I respect her choice.

jen0210

Spectator
I think her Adios Nanino was perfect. It was not that usual tango which "figure skaters" usually used. But Yuna really expressed well the music "Farewell my father". This music can't not be like Carmen or Roxanne. Otherwise Carmen is very passionate and dramatic character, Yuna in Adios Nonino needs to be a classy, missing, but a fire in her mind that kind of woman. She doesn't need to be dramatic. Why should she? She was acting the woman who was missing father and looking back old days. And..Yuna was the woman. Whether you like this program or not, it is technically very difficult program to follow. Look at the steps. Her steps are mostly with one foot. Also this music has no typical rythm. I love Caro's Bolero. But Frankly speaking, I think Yuna deserves better score than Caro because she tried another program for this season. She showed her best with Les Miserables last season. She showed her best with Adios Nonino this season. I respect her choice.

totally agree.:thumbsup:

cooper

Medalist

this. she had mixed reviews with her LP from the start but she gained respect with that performance.. it was simply mature and elegant..

Ace

Rinkside
She did really well and should be proud. Hope she isn't too disappointed with silver. I was shocked she came second but I won't hate on Adelina, she did really well and it's not her fault if people didn't think the judges scored her correctly. I am pleased for all the medalists, they all did beautifully.

cooper

Medalist
looking back at her career..

it's unbelievable really that yuna came from a country without any figure skating background and literally carried her country every time she skates.. and managed to be successful at it..even how the politics behind close door.. and the whole subjectivity of it.. if there's any miracle on ice.. that will be her..

att

Rinkside
As Yuna fan i'm just happy and proud of her..it's a gift for me to have a chance to watched her skate once again and ending her career such high note..She is and will always be the best for me..,and just like her i accept the result,.I won't blame Adelina she didn't give the score to her self she's done her part..

yuki90

On the Ice
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au...igure-skating-gold-medal-controversy/?cs=3329

Not one person in skating I've talked to said that's the way (the result) should have gone,” former US Olympic figure skating coach Audrey Weisiger told USA Today.

The judging pool for the free skating program was slightly different to the one that had awarded Kim top points in the short program the night before.One addition was Ukranian Yuri Balkov.In her book The Second Mark: Courage, Corruption and the Battle for Olympic Gold, author Joy Goodwin wrote that hours before the finals of the 1998 Olympic ice dancing competition in Nagano, Canadian judge Jean Senft tape-recorded a phone call made to her hotel room by Balkov.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
She did really well and should be proud. Hope she isn't too disappointed with silver. I was shocked she came second but I won't hate on Adelina, she did really well and it's not her fault if people didn't think the judges scored her correctly. I am pleased for all the medalists, they all did beautifully.

That should be the understatement of the year! To be honest, I could not enjoy at all Yuna's Adios, as soon as Adelina's score of 149.95 flashed on the screen. It was made clear that they were going to give Gold to Adelina no matter what. From that point on, I just had to watch powerlessly Yuna becoming a pawn in a game of politiking, putting up a brave face and perform in front of a hostile crowds, alone in the face of a massive setup. It was just watching a person alone against the world. Heartbreaking really. Maybe I will be able to enjoy her program one day when I finally manage to 'de-traumatize' myself from the nightmare that unfolded over these two days.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope some clever person will combine the music from some previous events with the best performances from Sochi. It would be nice to watch YuNa, Carolina, Mao, Gracie, D&W, V&M, and P&B without the distracting and unpleasant crowd noises.

yuki90

On the Ice
After the FP,
Julia said "I likes Carolina's jumps and watching her skate but I like YuNa the most.”

cooper

Medalist
One rival she praised was Japanese skater Mao Asada, also a two-time world champion and the Vancouver Olympic silver medalist. Asada messed up the short program and, even with a superb free skate, moved up only to sixth Thursday.

"We've been compared and have competed for so long, and it seems like there won't be that competition between us again," Kim said. "I think I'll remember her the most. I don't think there are many skaters like us two, who were constantly being compared."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/02/21/6177584/yuna-kim-wants-to-be-remembered.html#storylink=cpy

:)

ks777

Record Breaker
I am sad that Kim-Asada era is over.. I never been a big fan of either but I am going to miss both. I cried with Mao last night and I cried when I saw Yuna in tears after she lost the gold..

shayna_m

Spectator
That should be the understatement of the year! To be honest, I could not enjoy at all Yuna's Adios, as soon as Adelina's score of 149.95 flashed on the screen. It was made clear that they were going to give Gold to Adelina no matter what. From that point on, I just had to watch powerlessly Yuna becoming a pawn in a game of politiking, putting up a brave face and perform in front of a hostile crowds, alone in the face of a massive setup. It was just watching a person alone against the world. Heartbreaking really. Maybe I will be able to enjoy her program one day when I finally manage to 'de-traumatize' myself from the nightmare that unfolded over these two days.

wow...this bold sentence made me feel so sad. couldn't agree more.

redleg

Rinkside
Just watched an interview taken right after the podium ceremony. She seemed to be fighting to hold back the tears but couldn't then everyone started crying even the reporter.. wow... just wow.